Quad hasn't got the Power!!

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Les E, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Les E

Les E

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I 've just replaced my single LNB with a Quad for future installs around the house.

However I was told the quad has nearly 50% less signal strength than the single LNB. Personally I cannot tell the difference on when accessing the menus or picture quality, but I am a bit concerned when the weather turns bad that it's going to be less tolerant!?

Also would the signal strength get less and less the more I feed from it for a Sky + box and normal digibox around the house?

The quad is a Raven design but I am wondering whether theres any better quads on the market giving out better signal? Also anyone know where I could buy one from?

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Who told you that ?

3. Les E

Les E

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    A SKY engineer/installer!

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    The Quad unit is in fact 4 independent units in a single housing any of which should give the same performance as any single LNB, allowing for the noise figure of course and just like the single unit it is installed correctly.

There may be variations in the digibox signal strength/quality readings on each of the four outputs of a Quad LNB, this is as much down to the individual tuners and cables than the performance of the Quad itself.

5. vex

vex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    I agree with Starburst.

The LNB shouldn't have anything to do with power, thats the dishes job. Unless he was talking about the noise figure (the amount of noise the LNB adds to the system), which I guess is where he has got mixed up.

To put it in relative terms I woud guess current single LNB's run a noise figure of about .5 - .3dB and a quad could be say .8 ish (guessing a little) that is very little difference in noise added to the signal.