Quad core vs Dual core gaming

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by rob4001, Feb 19, 2014.

1. rob4001

rob4001
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I was wondering I've been using a Quad core gaming PC since the Q6600 and now have and I5 2500k

I was thinking of downsizing my tower to a matx or mitx which means a new mainboard. So was thinking of maybe going to haswell but I was wondering if there is much benefit from a quad core vs dual core. I might down grade to a cheaper dual core, as the only thing my pc is used for is surfing and gaming and not much else.

I would be interested in peoples comments.

Thanks

2. Chox1988

Chox1988
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,161
    Gaming will one hundred percent require a quad core going forward. There isn't much debate to be had tbh.

3. Tall_Paul

Tall_Paul
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,172
    Web surfing/light gaming (older titles/less intensive games) etc - a dual core like an i3 (these have hyperthreading) will be fine.

If you're doing any semi-serious gaming, then you'll want a quad core as a minimum. The new games coming out over the next year or so will start to use 6+ CPU cores, a dual core will bottleneck you with most newer games. The i5 2500k you have is a legendary cpu, I wouldn't downgrade to an dual core haswell, or upgrade to a quad core haswell, just get a z77/z68 motherboard, a decent cooler and overclock it to 4.5Ghz, there are a few still about for mATX and mini-ITX.

4. holtehero

holtehero

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,772
    I think some games like Watchdogs have said they require quad core already, so it will only become more common, especially as the X1 and PS4 have multicore architectures