Quad core pc on ebay - good deal ?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by RecordablDVDfan, May 6, 2007.

1. RecordablDVDfan

RecordablDVDfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
  2. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +11,707
    Depends what you want to do with it. Apparently Vista is a real RAM hog so 4GB would be useful. Also the graphics looks to be just integrated so not really much cop for games or video editing.

Also it looks like it doesn't come with any OS. Not really a great bargain IMO.

3. Keyman

Keyman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't. With no mention of the brand name of PSU, MB and Ram, from ebay seller I wouldn't think components are of good quality. I am willy to bet on it the hardware will be unstable within 2 years, that's if you are lucky.

4. Keyman

Keyman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Woops. Shouldn't be willy but willing. :suicide:

5. RecordablDVDfan

RecordablDVDfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    The mb is mentioned :

Motherboard SKT-775 CONROE945G-DVI S/V/L M-ATX 1066FSB

As good as any other I would think these days. The main plus is it's an intel quad core 2. I am hoping that this is one of the near silent base stattions, anyon know more about these ?

6. Keyman

Keyman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    NOT all 2 litre engine cars are the same. Do not look at the spec and think they are.

The MB is made with a 945 intel chipset, you do not know the brand of the MB manufacturer. Different manufacturers may use different grade capacitors etc, also they may differ in the QC procedures and therfore may have a higher failure rate in both new conditions and as time goes.

PSU take on the job of coverting AC to DC. Now your household AC is not perfect (ever seen your light bulb flickers?). A better PSU will cope better and more tolorent, has more reserve and has better capacitors etc. A cheap PSU will deteriate much quicker along with the deteriation of capacitors etc and therefore may no longer provide a steady DC after some time (if it ever did in the first place). Bad, unstable or not enough DC will mean that all the rest of the components will have to live of that feed. End result, early retirement for a lot of parts............Same as AV, crap in crap out, and in this case, shorter life.

As I mentioned, it is likely not to be stable after some time, your call.

I maybe totally wrong, it may be a 'BMW' but not specified on ebay, I don't think so. Good luck.

7. Stompy

Stompy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Looks like a cheap tacky case, fairly likely with included cheap rubbish psu (!), and indicates that many of the rest of the parts are cheap ones too. The motherboard is an ASRock, which aren't particularly great.

8. Keyman

Keyman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ASRock were quite good when they first came out. Apparently it was ASUS money (hence the AS lettering are similar) to battle against the lower end of the market (ECS PCchips etc).

Around 2 years or so ago, rumor has it that a floatation may be on the book. Since then the quality (failure rate) had dropped and it may be down to the profit taking (compromising on quality) in order to float better on the stock market.

9. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +11,707
    It's like one of those PCWorld adverts. They chuck out at you it has a huge processor and loads of memory, but neglect to tell you the rest of it is rubbish.

10. Fe+

Fe+

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    a quad core processor is 330 new so do the maths - the seller has spent less than £200 on the rest to make a profit!!

I would not touch it at all!:thumbsdow

11. Keyman

Keyman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I always tell people, if the mark up (margin) is £20, to stay in business, the maximum after service you will get is £20 worth. Otherwise the business is running at a loss.

With the parts quality in mind, the after service will more likely be needed. Is the afterservice going to be there? Umm, Fleabay.... + cheap..... = maybe a Noooooooooooooo. :suicide: