1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quad 33

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Nelly, Nov 23, 2001.

1. Nelly

Nelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My rather ancient Quad 33 preamp seems to have developed rather dodgy buttons. Occasionally the sound cuts out from one channel and you have to fiddle with the input selects until it works.

I am hoping they are just in need of a clean. If so, does anyone know the best way to go about this and has anyone else had this problem??? :rolleyes:

Cheers for any help,

Matt

2. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    My bass amp does this sort of stuff quite often if it hasn't been used for a bit, I find one of two things sorts it :-

Twiddling all the nodes and pressing all the buttons for a couple of minutes or if this fails I usually resort to spraying a smidgin of WD40 around the knobs.

I think it's normally caused by dust and crap settling on the resistory things.

By the way i'm not a qualified electrician, and not recommending covering your amp in WD40, but it works for me.

I also clean the contacts i.e. speaker and phono inputs with Isopropyl alcohol to remove any gunge.