1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quad 303 & Denon AVR 3802

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Nelly, Nov 16, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Nelly

Nelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am thinking of buying a Denon AVR 3802. However I love the sound of my Quad 303 amp. Does anyone know if I buy another 2 Quads, if these will work using the Pre-outs of the Denon? (Basically using the Denon as a decoder/receiver, but not the amplification section)

Any ideas, prior experience please help.

Cheers :D

2. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Should work, but I don´t think you need Quad for the rear channels, just front and center, use the receiver for the rear...

3. Nelly

Nelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice Lowrider. Just wandering - do you think that the Quad 303 will give a better sound than just using the Denon? Or am I just complicating things by trying to use my old Quad?

Cheers, M.

4. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It can improve the sound, anyway you don´t have to spend any money to try it out for the front speakers, just need a pair of interconnects.

If it works and the difference is noticable you sort the center later, otherwise you just leave the center and surrounds with the Denon...

5. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    What pre-amp are you presently using with your 303? The reason I ask is because I used to have quad pre and power amps. However, when I wanted to upgrade I was told by someone at a hifi shop that the quads are designed to work together and that their frequency responses were not linear ie some frequencies peaked in the pre-amp and had corresponding troughs in the power amp. Therefore mixing brands would be a disaster. I must say that I personally thought that was hogwash but I never did get to verify the truth.

BTW I also use a Denon receiver (the 3300 which is very similar to the 3801/2). If you have a quad pre/power combo that you are happy with then I would recommend keeping them together and using your stereo sources direcly connected to them. Plug the front pre-outs from the Denon into your pre-amp (not power amp) for cinema duties - it's what I do.

6. Nelly

Nelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That is probably the best thing Lowrider - try it and see!

That is also a good plan dood - plugging the pre-outs into the Quad Pre amp (I have a bit of dodgy old Quad 33). The only downside is that surely the sound is gonna have to go through 2 pre-amps before even reaching the amp :( Still it does sound like the best solution, cheers.

Incidently, does anyone know how to clean up the buttons on a Quad 33? They seem to be extremely temperamental and somtimes cause the sound to cut in and out. Any ideas?

Thanks for your help guys :)

Matt

7. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you use the AUX input in the Quad pre you shoudn´t have much distorsion, ( I would try the Quad volume maximum and calibrate in the receiver), but if the direct to amp route works, it is always better...