1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quad 22L Floorstanders

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by barcrawler, Nov 27, 2004.

1. barcrawler

barcrawler
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What do people reckon the above speakers? I have heard them played off MF A5 amp \ cd combo (also :thumbsup: ) and roksan integrated amp and really like their sound.

I like a nice warm open sound, and not to bright but please give me your opinions, i.e. if you like them? better out there (for same or less money) etc.

Cheers

P.S First post so be nice!!! :rolleyes: :smashin:

2. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Barcrawler Welcome to the Forum :thumbsup:

I used to have a pair of the 22L's in piano black and for the money they are superb speakers and not much IMO out there that can better them for the price :thumbsup:
    The only thing i can say is give them plenty of room to work as the bass can dominate if too close to the rear walls other than that Excellent :smashin:

John :)

3. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hello Barcrawler, welcome to the place which can cost you lots of cash!

If YOU like them then buy them :) :laugh: , seriously, you are the best judge.

The 22L's have had good magazine reviews and lots of recommendations on forums. We had a demo with Meridian, Arcam and Rotel gear earlier this year, not that impressed personally but that's why there's so much choice, we all hear differently.

At the price point there is lots of choice, have a listen to as many as you can, ProAc do some great speakers as do Spendor and Castle. Kef, Mission, Wharfedale, B&W etc all have offerings.

My £900 would go on used/exdem MA GR20's, but then I would say that as an owner :devil:

This months HiFi News mag has a review of 6 sub £1k floorstanders and include the 22L

Gus

4. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Certainly a nice speaker, good build quality and like everyone says 'If you like them you won't go far wrong'
    Offerings from Castle, Monitor Audio would also be worth looking at. If you can get hold of them JMLAB make some nice speakers in that price range. Rega Ela's may also suit you.

5. barcrawler

barcrawler
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gus,

I also heard these speakers but thought they didnt really have it all there in the midrange, quite boomy and a little bright - as you rightly say we all are the best judges :)

I guess I wanted to make sure people would say, pile of poo, poor build quality etc :)

Will check that mag! cheers for info :smashin:

6. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Have heard that said a few times, one mans meat and all that. :)

I tried the GR20's with a couple of integrated amps, among them my Arcam A85 and they didn't do the job, however once I heard them with a 3.2 pre/power they came into their own and I bought the amps as well and sold the A85!

They just got better when I moved to the 308 pre/power. A small but worthwhile improvement came from adding Chord Odyssey biwire (holds breath waiting for the cables don't matter crew :) :) ), next I am not sure whether to add another 308 power and biamp or move up to another speaker.

PS> If you like midrange check out the ProAC Studio 125, I have an old pair of the Studio 1 MkII standmount - great mid and top, a little bass shy so I added a Rel sub.
    http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/archive/perl/568_printreview.htm

Gus

7. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I wouldn't describe the GA20s as boomy or bright. I demoed them against the B&W 704 and found them to be of similar quality. You should be able to find my write up of the demo somewhere.

I have't heard the Quads so can't comment from experience but I was under the impression that their bookshelves were highly rated but the floorstanders were nothing special.

8. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to say that i have heard the GR20's and they are stunning speakers if partnered with the right amplification it will do them justice but brand new they are £1500 and if you are looking at that sort of money you could pick up some ProAc D15's which are exceptional speakers!!!

John

9. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    I have the slightly smaller Quad 21L's, and can confirm that they sound fabulous. whats_this was around my place today, and he had listened to the 704's yesterday to get a reference point to what he would hear at my place.

He was also very impressed with the Quads and commented that he may well go for the Quads over the 704's after the listen.

I find the Quads just perfect, they are on the warm side of neutral, but that is just how I prefer them, they integrate well with the SVS too, very impressed, and to be honest, I haven't heard that many that sound better in its price bracket, and I've heard quite a few speakers recently at the What Hi Fi show, as well as store demos.

And the finish is superb, love them to bits. A very good review can be found here: http://www.goodsound.com/equipment/quad_21l.htm

I opted for the 21L's over the 22L's as the SVS PC Ultra is MORE than adequate to handle the lower frequencies, and I didn't want to risk any integration risks with the rest of the setup.

Very happy, can highly recommend :smashin:

10. whats_this

whats_this

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Yes they did and the quads are excellent. i don’t think i would rate them as better than the 704's in pure stereo as the sound wasn’t as full (missing a little from the bottom end when compared to the 704's, but the quads are half the price and have a nicer finish) but once the svs was added to the equation it simply became the best system i have ever heard. Integrated perfectly and allowed you to hear every part of the music with the bass being clean and not overpowering. It is pretty hard to describe actually, you have to hear it.

Then you have cinema, you cannot fault the svs for movies, natural, deep and not overpowering when well set up. It is an experience, you are completly emersed in the film and then thrown about as if you were a character in the film)

I was looking at upgrading my quake to a cylinder but after actually seeing it I’m not sure (IT’s HUGE, you cant understand it till you see one). I’m currently rethinking and pondering at upgrading my front three (seriously considering the quads despite my love for B&W, they were that good) and to add a smaller svs box later or possible still the cylinder if i could hide it. Now I write this I’m moving towards the svs just thinking about how good it was but anyway speakers . . .

Btw you can almost get the quads and the svs ultra for one set of B&W 704s, that is amazing and i would recommend that combination to anyone. See if you can give kazman a visit and you'll see what i mean.

Would just quickly like to extend my thanks to kazman for allowing me to demo his system yesterday, had a wonderful day out and might be back up soon, if i can clear all this work. (shall try and pm you later)

11. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Was a pleasure mate, glad you enjoyed it.

For the money, I don't believe there are many speakers that can match the Quads. Obviously, once you get closer to and above the £1K mark, you are talking serious performance that should outperform the Quads, but then you get into the area of diminishing returns. And the finish, absolutely wonderful for the money!!

12. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I'm gonna have to have a listen to these Quad speaker things :) The description of the sound is right up my street for music, not sure about movies though.

If they best my Electras I may cry!

13. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    You are more than welcome to pop over to my place Daneel, not sure how long it would take you from Suffolk though. :D

14. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I've forgoten where you are :)

15. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Over in Luton mate, Bedfordshire.

Your Electras should perform better, considering how much they cost, but you are more than welcome to pop round and have a gander at my setup :)

16. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I'm passing there today, shame I don't have the time.

17. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    I'm literally two seconds off J11 on the M1 mate, so the offer is open, let me know and I'll PM you my mobile number :D

18. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Maybe one night during the week, I'm in MK for the week.

19. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Cool, any evening apart from Tuesday and Thursday is good for me mate, PM me when you are ready :).

Back on topic, Barcrawler, you decided on anything yet then? :D

20. barcrawler

barcrawler
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah this is my thread you hi-jackers!!! :devil: :laugh: ;)

I think these are the speakers for me. Although there are so many and I dont know where to go to listen to any of the others :(

if I knew of speakers loads better for only a little more then I would be willing to stretch, but where do I get to listen to them??

21. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where are you located in the UK?

John

22. barcrawler

barcrawler
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sth london, croydon (no comments!!)

23. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not far from me, Mucsical Images in Beckenham will stock a majority of stuff that you are interested in and that is where i got my 22L's from and all my Hi Fi.
    They are very helpful and always willing to dem equipment give them a try!

www.musical-images.co.uk/home/default.asp

John

24. barcrawler

barcrawler
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Simple tram ride! Thanks for the info dude!! :smashin: