1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quad 21L's have arrived :)

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Kazman, Oct 31, 2004.

1. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Just set them up now, the finish on the Quads is amazing!!! I have no idea how they can provide such a fantastic finish for the price they sell them for!!

It is a little late now to really give them a run in, so I will be having a proper play with them tomorrow.

They came with rubber feet to put under the spikes as well, so no need to hunt around for something to protect the old laminate :D

Will give a full report tomorrow :)

2. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good news Kazman all Quaded up now eh! they need a good running in period though before they start to sound their best the drivers are like rock solid.

John :)

3. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,080
    Looking forward to know how you get on with these - any info on how the centre channel performs would be greatly appreciated too :smashin:

4. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Well, I woke up quite early, and couldnt sleep after that as I just wanted to come down and play with the new speakers :).

Got back quite late, as I dropped the Mordaunt Short 914's to WQuine over in Cornwall, and my sat nav decided to take me on some funky route on the way back :confused:

AV-Land being the stars that they are dropped the speakers at my aunts place (which is just around the corner) seeing that I was delayed getting back.

A little history, this was almost a forced change all round, as I initially bought the Quad L Centre as I thought the MS905C had developed a fault, this later turned out to be the binding post at the back coming slightly loose and rattling when pushed. I had already ordered the Quad by the time I realised the fault was a red herring :(. Mind you, I guess it was a blessing in disguise.... I still havent told the wife that the MS905C was actually ok and that she didn't cause the fault when she knocked it :D, the reason, the fear of a womans wrath is indeed, well entrenched into my psyche.

Well, when wifey saw the Quad L Centre and saw how much smaller i was compared to the 905C, she kinda started kicking up a fuss with regard to the size of the 914's :confused: So, I said, fine, I'll change the fronts to the matching Quads which were smaller, I was happy as I knew I would be changing up a few gears with regards to sound quality by upgrading to the Quads.

There was a catch though, to stop incurring the 'WRATH' she ordered me NOT to spend any 'new' money on the new Quads!!! Now, I had to try and figure out a way to raise the £700 needed for the Quads :eek: Well, the decision to sell the 914's and 905C was quite easy, as these would no longer be needed when the Quads arrive. I then went through my old DVD collection and sold off loads of them to work colleagues. But still, I was a good few hundred pounds short, and I didn't make anywhere near as much as I thought I would on the Mordaunt Shorts :eek: I sold the Mordaunt Shorts on for a ridiculously cheap £165 :eek: I then looked to gadgets I no longer used, sold my 512MB mini SD card which I never used as it was bought in error, sold my iPaq which was quite old anyway, and I only used it for sat nav, which is now taken care of with my Tom Tom Go unit, and sold the 512MB compact flash with the GPS Jacket. Finally I had raised just enough to buy the Quads :D.

First thing I have to say, I am REALLY going to miss those Mordaunt Shorts (WQuine, look after my babies :) ), they were phenomenally good for the money, even at their rrp of £299, the 914's were amazing value. They were tight, controlled, and incredibly dynamic, and I challenge any floorstanding speaker up to £400 to better them. The 905C was and is an incredible centre, again, very dynamic, it provided lovely weight to dialogue and was never shrill in its delivery or overly bright. If there was one complaint, I would say they could be more transparent. Anyway, enough of the Mordaunt Shorts, lets move onto the Quads :devil:

I'm sitting here, listening to a variety of CD's, closing my eyes, the feeling of being there is so apparent with the Quads, and they haven't run in yet. The level of transparency is some of the best I've heard, and I think the decision to go with the less bassy 21L's was a good one, as the 22L's may have been overkill seeing that I have the SVS PC Ultra to handle the lower frequencies. This decision has proved itself fruitful this morning, as the 21L's have more than enough dynamic ability and integrate very well with the SVS.

The centre is the same, although the cones are smaller than those in the floorstanders, it integrates very well, adding weight to dialogue, it may not be 'quite' as dynamic low down as the 905C, but, it more than makes up for that with a natural warmth that is wholly transparent and accurate.

These speakers excel with music, the transparency is so good that you hear EVERY instrument without struggling to do so, the 914's (although great for the price), were not as good at relaying every instrument when things became busy. Even though the Quads are smaller, they give a fuller sound, the mid-range is spot on, where this was a little weaker on the 914's. In fact, soundwise, the Quads are almost impossible to fault, I can't wait till they have run in fully so they can really strut their stuff.

Better than the Mordaunt Shorts? Undoubtedly, and so they should be, as they cost almost three times as much brand new, but, are they three times better? No. The Mordaunt Shorts are a bit of a steal at their price point, especially that centre, for £120, it is a bargain brand new!!!

Saying that, I'm VERY impressed with the Quads, the finish on them is amazing!! They are packed with so much care, each speaker carefully placed in a soft lint free sack so as to not damage the lacquered finish, they even provide a pair of soft white gloves to handle them :smashin:

The wife is happy because they are smaller and look so much nicer than the Mordaunt Shorts, and I'm happy as actually, I didn't pay for them, as I just sold stuff I no longer needed :D I'm even happier as the Quads are not only great value at their retail price, they sound better than speakers I've heard hitting the £1000 mark.

I'm gonna stop typing now and get back to some listening :)

5. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kazman i see you have a Marantz AV Amp they are supposed to be very good at music, i have not heard any of the Marantz amps so am just going on what i have heard but i would say that the quads are a good match for it as they are a very musical sounding speakers.

6. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Yup, I have the Marantz SR7400, the Quads sit very well with them, they are a great match up.

The Quads are so nice, I don't understand how they can produce something with a finish like that and a sound like that for such a bargain price.

I might upgrade the CD player next, as the CD5400 may be a tad outclassed by the rest of the setup now, but, I think I will wait a while for the wife to be in a good mood :)

7. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
  8. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The reason they are so reasonbly priced is that everything is made at the factories by Quad themselves with hardly any parts sourced from other companies so all made inhouse, and yes higher priced products would find it hard to equal there quality at the price quad sells them for

John

9. NMyTree

NMyTree
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Congratulations Kazman! :clap:

I have the Quad 22L in the Yew finish and absolutely love them. And yes, you will love them even more after the break-in :thumbsup:

I use the 22L in my home office (where I work every day...I work from home) and they are sweet, smooth, musical speakers. The 22L are the Chocolate Pudding of speakers :D

These speakers just sing. Any well recorded and well mastered CD, will sound amazing through them.

Just be careful with poorly recorded or poorly mastered CDs, they sound horrible. The Quads will reveal all the nasty compression or poor recording noise.

Enjoy your new speakers.

10. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Thanks NMyTree, they are fantastic speakers. I was going to opt for the 22L's initially, but was worried about integration with the subwoofer. I'm still at work but itching to get away and play with my new babies some more :D

In fact, I'm gonna do just that, ciao for now :)

11. db1234

db1234
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi NMyTree,

I'm looking for a pair of Quads in yew, I thought they only did the 11L's in that finish.

Can you tell me where you got the yew 22L's from and what their cost was ?

A picture would be fantastic too !

Cheers,

Darren

12. NMyTree

NMyTree
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First, where do you live db1234? What country?

I know the 22L were and probably still are available in the Yew. But I need to know where you're from first, before suggesting anything.

In most of the pics below, the flash kind of washes out a lot of the fine grain and the quality of the laquer finish.....visable to the eye, when you see them in person. But I think you can at least get an idea of the fine detail of grain on these speakers, from the pics.

Attached Files:

13. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lovely finish :thumbsup:

What country can you get them in the Yew or was it a special order?

John

14. NMyTree

NMyTree
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I imagine the Yew would be available in most countries, but I live in the United States. If Darren lives outside the United States, I wouldn't know who he should contact; other than to call Quad (IAG).

If he's from the states and happens to live near me, I can make a suggestion.

Otherwise, I imagine the best thing to do, is call Quad (IAG) and ask them if the Yew finish is till available for the 22L and if there's a dealer in your area who either stocks them or can order them.

15. db1234

db1234
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Bucks, UK.

The pics look great, cheers

Darren

16. NMyTree

NMyTree
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're Welcome

...and Thanks.

Well, it's not like I made the speakers...and applied the finish.....I simply bought them :D :D

17. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    As well as the Yew, I think the Rosewood and Birds Eye Maple finishes are also lovely.

I didn't even know about the Yew finish until recently :(, and I had already ordered my L Centre in Rosewood, so decided to stick with Rosewood for the 21L's :). The Yew is a lovely finish though, it must look so nice in the flesh :).

18. NMyTree

NMyTree
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, it does.

The Yew is one of those finishes, in my opinion, that must be seen in person, to completely be appreciated.

The pictures, at least in my case (I'm not exactly a photographic genius :D ), don't really reveal the fine, beautiful grain and character of the wood.

They look nice in the pictures, but seeing them in person.......gives you the whole canvas.

The Rosewood is also beautiful. When I bought my 22L, the dealer had a pair of 22L in Rosewood.......it's stunning......gorgeous!

I love the sound of the 22L so much, that I'm considering getting an extra pair (in Rosewood), as a back up, to keep stored in my house; in case god forbid....anything horrible ever happens to my 22L.

With a 10 month old baby boy, who is just starting to take his first steps; I'm afraid something could happen. I've taken some drastic steps and precautions to protect my equipment: i.e. custom designed (by me)(built by someonelse) Component racks and TV cabinets , secured , solid partitions....and secured rooms.

But you never know. Kids sometimes have a way of getting into things (trouble), no matter how extensive the precautions. I just hope that with the way we teach him and guide him, he will have respect for the stuff in our home and not get reckless.

Of course we have an area of the house specifically for him to play and indulge himself, where he won't hurt himself or any of our belongings. :D

19. Keiron

Keiron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    I have read in several places that the Quad speakers are manufactured entirely in China. Nothing wrong with that of course, but would account for the relatively low cost.

20. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very True Keiron

John

21. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Yup, the factory that builds them is in China, but so many items are built in China now-a-days, including certain items from Arcam and Denon. Doesn't detract from their quality, but enables us over here to save more than a few pennies :D

22. NMyTree

NMyTree
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I remember correctly, IAG has a HUGE manufactoring plant in China and both Quad and Wharfedale are manufactored there. Apprently, the Drivers are made in the UK and all other parts are manufactored in-house by IAG; everything from the cabinets, screws, housing plates, all electronics and so forth.

At least that is what I have read and heard.

Anyone know if this is true?

23. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think that your right and that is why they can produce the speakers at such a good price.

John

24. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    It goes a lot further than that as not only are such old English names like Quad and Wharfedale manufacturered in China but the parent company is itself a Chinese owned company

25. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ian i think they are 2 brothers who own it.

John

26. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    I had a good listen to the Quads when I arrived home from the What Hi Fi show and on Sunday, and it really hit home how good these speakers are!!

At previous shows I've come home, switched on my set up, and cried at its inferiority. I came home this time, and whooped at its superiority!! :D

After I calibrated my screen with AVIA a couple of months back, images from the Toshie have been fantastic, even better than when I initially got the TV. The real acid test was going to be how I would feel after returning from the show.

I was still smiling :D watched Shrek 2, a few people had this on demo at the show so thought I'd use this to compare, and the Quads and TV excelled, the picture on the calibrated Toshie was fantastic :smashin: but the sound from the Quads was easily a match for many of the speakers I heard at the show. OK, so non-animated movies like ROTK looked better with digitally fed Plasmas and projectors, but, for a CRT rear projection TV I was VERY happy :D

Listened to a few more CD's, and the Quads seem to have run in perfectly now, the sound is so well weighted, and still transparent and incredibly detailed, more than any speaker in this price bracket should dare to. They are still quite neutral, but with just an added gooey glow of ready brek style warmth :D Lovely! I don't think I need to upgrade the speakers for a long while :)

27. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Famous Last Words :D

28. NMyTree

NMyTree
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It warms my heart to see someone else, who is as happy with their Quads, as I am with my 22L :D :smashin: :laugh:

I'll tell you, recruit. Regardless of what upgrades or changes I make to my main system (in the Living Room) and to my Third Zone, my Quad 22L will remain in my home office (where I work all day long). This is where I listen to music ...all day long, and the Quad 22L are so sweet...so pleasant to listen to. I simply love these speakers. Chocolate pudding for the ears :D

29. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    NMyTree I like the Chocolate pudding bit :D and have to say that the 22L's are gorgeous speakers as i have owned a pair and know that they sound sooo nice but then i heard a Pair of Proac Responses and the upgrade bug hit again and ended up getting them it never ends :rolleyes: the main thing is enjoying what you have untill something else comes along :D

30. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Hi recruit, how big is your room?