1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quad 21L vs B&W 603

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by whats_this, Nov 28, 2004.

1. whats_this

whats_this

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Anyone done a camparrison of these two, went to Kazmans yesterday for a demo of his svs and was completly blown away by the Quad 21L, currently having B&W600s im really tempted to upgrade my front three rather than the sub, What do people think of B&W603s with a 600 as centre verses the Quad 21Ls with quad centre. looking for a general improvement in sound stage in music and films.

2. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used to own the DM603 S3 and to be honest the Bass is just too much they are good but whatever amp or position i tried i just could not tame the speakers and control the bass, whereas I have owned the Quad 22L's and listened to the 21L's and both speakers are IMO well above the B&W's there sound is just more well rounded and easier to live with.

John

3. whats_this

whats_this

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks recruit, was hoping you might reply. how would you compare the 22Ls to the 21Ls musically and would you say it is worth the 200 quid or so extra over the 21Ls.

4. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 22L's have alot more Depth in the bass than the 21L's but the sound is the same in the Midrange really punchy and very Dynamic! and the top end is very sweet!
    If you are going to use the speakers with a sub for movies and music then i would say get the 21L's as i feel they would intergrate better but if it was for a Hi Fi setup only then yes they are worth the extra £200.

John

5. whats_this

whats_this

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Just out of interest how do you think a set up of 21Ls plus a decent sub, lets just say an svs, would compare against a pair of 22L on their own for music

6. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It all depends on the room you are going to listen to it in, if it was a larger size room then you would probably get good performance and intergration between the 2 but if it were in a smaller sized room then you could have problems contolling the bass! and also the quality of the amplification has a big part to play in it aswell....

John

7. whats_this

whats_this

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    cool, thanks very much for the input, appreciate it, think i might go for the 21Ls, as should then be able to get the quad centre at the same time, and then go for the sub at a later date.

8. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Quad L range are a real bargain IMO and are alot nicer sounding than the B&W 600 series... :)

Hope you enjoy them :thumbsup:

John

9. whats_this

whats_this

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    sorry completly forgot, but how do you think a rotel poweramp would go with the quads, i've heard some people say the rotels can sound a bit bright.

10. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Never heard that about Rotel, can you try and get a dem of that combination and see what you think?

John

11. whats_this

whats_this

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    sorry bout that, site shut me out i think. Think i will get the 21Ls and Quad center as front three for now (as think it will make the biggest overall improvement) and shall see about adding a power amp later along with the svs.

12. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think that adding a power amp would be a good idea as the Quads are 6ohm speakers and will definitly sound better with more power!

John

13. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    whats_this, there are some monoblock poweramps for sale in the classifieds right now I believe, £375 for the pair.

"2 x NAD 2400 Power Envelope Either Bridged stereo or Monobloc amplifiers, selectable on the back, each amp can be used in Stereo A & B or in 200W monobloc form £375 the Pair"

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167131

14. whats_this

whats_this

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    oh they sound gd, anyone got any opinions on this?

15. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can never have enough power so more is always better :)

John

16. whats_this

whats_this

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    i would love to get them, but not sure bout it right at this moment, if they are still there in 3 months i will be taking them, but i doubt it somehow, think at the min i would rather get the quads or the svs, but it is so tempting. SO MANY CHOICES!!!

17. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats the whole thing with upgradeing it never ends :rolleyes:

John

18. whats_this

whats_this

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    No it will, I refuse to believe you, 1 day i will be perfectly happy, until a new technology requires me to upgrade. DTS 10. 2 or something, i do not plan on going super high end, just good enough that I am happy with what i have.

I have to tell myself this as I cannot live my life constantly thinking bout the next thing, i know there will be better but for what I’ve paid I will be happy. Or maybe not. . . but i cant tell myself that now.

I just want to listen to music and watch films, enjoy them and stop criticizing how that sounded or that wasn’t good enough. I want to spend money on films, not equipment.

I was playing with my E3c's when i got them and i was telling my dad how amazing they were.

He said to me, while laughing "do you actually really love the music, or is it just making it work that you like"

i couldn’t believe it, he knows me to well, but its so true we think wow that was an awesome dynamic range or that LFE affect was awesome, but I just want to enjoy my films and my music now.

sorry, has really bugged me since he said it, had to let it all out. I know it is half the fun, and i admit i love making it work, but now I’m trying to find the balance.

19. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you feel better now :rolleyes: I have a nice stereo amp for sale in the classifieds if you're interested :D

John :)

20. whats_this

whats_this

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    lol i do, just read my post and feel a bit silly, but i really use to enjoy movies and now i think i criticize a bit too much and don’t watch anywhere near enough, so I’m working on it. Anyway i would love to buy ur Cyrus (presuming that’s the one ur selling) but again going to wait a bit longer before getting the power amps. Was just wondering about this so thought i would ask. For HC would you recommend 3 stero/monoblock amps or one 5-channel amp.

21. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IMO it is always best to go with Mono Blocks if you're heading that way but there are some really good 3 & 5 Channel Power amps out there but all the really good ones are very expensive!

John

22. whats_this

whats_this

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    so for performance at equal price, 3 good steroamps, 5 monoblocks or a rotel 1075 secondhand or new. presuming about 800 quid for rotel i think

or what about 800 on 3 monoblocks compared to a rotel 1075

23. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It does all depend aswell on the quality of the Mono blocks and if you have the space to fit them all, at the recent What Hifi show in the Arcam room they had 14 Mono blocks feeding 7 speakers and it sounded awsome!! But for practical purposes most of us would never be able to accomodate that sort of equipment that is why a good 3 or 5 channel power amp will most definitly do the Job!

John

24. whats_this

whats_this

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    yeah less boxes, always good. recruit heard about this M&K sub you have lying around, was just wondering how much you would be looking for to sell it, and how you would rate it (objectivly) when compared to something of similar selling price ie an svs equivalent.

25. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1st i would sell it for £600 which is half price to what it costs normaly and it is only 6 months old.
    2nd i used to have an SVS 25-31pc+ and i would say that performance wise they were nearly equal but the SVS had slightly more headroom, but i felt that the M&K had more slam to it which is what i like.

John

26. whats_this

whats_this

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    tempting if that is accurate, and i would agree with the enjoyment of slam. when playing with the B&W 750 i was listening at - 15db (denon 3805) in a tiny room and had the gain on half. I will keep that in mind, and thank you with your help on the speakers btw.

27. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you ever want to hear an all M&K system in action let me know :)

John

28. whats_this

whats_this

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Think i might take you up on that in the not to distant future, where about are you based roughly and how would you ratte m&ks for music, or would you just not consider it.

29. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I live in Kent
    I would rate the M&K's as ok with music & that is why i keep 2 seperate systems.

John

30. Kier

Kier
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I just thought I'd throw in a vote for the B&W 603 here... I have these both at the front and the rear of my system (see the specs in my signature) and I couldn't be happier with them.

If the bass is too much for you (depends greatly on the room you put them in) then you can control it by plugging the either or both of the ducts with the supplied bungs.

Personally I think the bass is absolutely spot-on, but like I said, the room you put them in will have an impact.