1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

QUAD 12L vs 21L

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by DrumNBass, Mar 13, 2005.

1. DrumNBass

DrumNBass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yesterday I had the pleasure of having a 1.5 hour demo of the QUAD AV package both with DVD and stereo music. The demo was using a denon 2805 AV amplifier and I was totally blown away with every aspect of the system. I am now totally sold on the QUADS and will purchase a set of fronts and the centre now along with probably a 2805 amplifier. At some stage (when I've got more money and a ground floor lounge room!) I'll buy the 11L as rears and the awesome QUAD sub.

My only question, as the dealer pointed out by the time I've spent money on some decent stands I might as well consider stumping up the extra £150 and get the 21L floor standers. So we had a quick 15 minutes demo of these as well! Once again quiet superb, definately some better bass extension. However other than the better base I just wondering if I am sacrificing anything else musicwise by going for the floor stander? As I will buy the sub at some point I don't want to loose any tonal quality just to get bettter base - again I couldn't really hear difference but I only demo'd the 21L for 15 minutes.

I guess the floorstanders might be also be a little more fiddly with their placement in a smaller room when they are near a wall?

thanks in advance..

Darren.

2. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    It will come down to your preference.

Over generalising, but people preferences are split between floorstanders or stand-mounts and you will need to determine which camp you fall in.

Floorstanders have the better bass extension, but at the expense of creating a woolly bass due to the increased volume of the unit. Standmount, generally have a tighter bass due to this reason but don't go as far.

I don't think cost should come into it, but decent stands are a must.

3. DrumNBass

DrumNBass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I guess I didn't really feel the bass was any woolly at least during the short demo of the 21s. Although I do like a lot of bass (I'm a drum n bass fan after all), I didn't want to sacrife anything else for it, especially as I'll get the monster QUAD sub at some stage...

4. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    The 21L's are superb, I have a pair, and find them to be just as fast and tight as the 12L's, with better bass extension, and more aesthetically pleasing due to them being floor standers.

I'm driving them with a Marantz SR7500, and they go very well together. To get the best musically out of the Quads I'd recommend you look at either the Marantz or Nads in the same price range, if you are more interested in the movie aspect of things, then I believe the Denon will just fine :).

5. _Cal_

_Cal_

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DrumNBass,

I've bought a Marantz 7400 + Quad 12L system about 1 month ago.

I was decided to buy the 21Ls, but the dealer could not get it imediately so I got the 12Ls instead. I like the sound, but most probably I'll get the 21L later to use as fronts, and put the 12L as rears, both because I'd like some more bass without a sub. Aestetically, I prefer floorstanders, so that's one more reason.

When I decided to buy the 12L, I was considering either leaving them as fronts and buying 11L for rears, or buying 21L for fronts and moving the 12L to rears. Now I believe I'll go for the 21L in the near future.

Hope it helps, somehow.

6. NMyTree

NMyTree
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Quad speakers really mate well with the Quad CDP 99, 99 Pre Amp and 909 Amplifier. This match up is so very musical and smooth.

But as Kazman mentioned there are other combinations which work out beautifully; Marantz and NAD are certainly two good matchups.