Quad 12L + Denon1910 Which surrounds + Sub

woody01

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
I'm a first time poster (long time browser).
Having decided to hold off on purchasing a new tv until the Jan sales i'm going to put together my first surround set-up.
I've had a lot of hi-fi equipment over the years from monitor audio, quad, jamo and marantz and have been happily using some Quad 12L's for music the last 2 years or so. I Like the balance of the crisp, almost transparent sounding quads with the warmth of my cambridge amp. But i'd like to keep things stream-lined as i'm short of space and so will be replacing the cambridge amp with a musically capable av amp (i'm 99% set on the Denon 1910).

I had thought about buying a speaker package such as the KEF 2005.3 or the Tannoy arenas as they're pretty compact and *quite good looking (*to keep swmbo happy) but i'm not overly impressed with their musical ability, especially compared to my quads.
So here's where you guys come in. Can you recommend a pair of surround speakers a centre speaker and a sub that would mesh well with a denon 1910 and quad 12Ls as the centres, but also have a small footprint?
I wouldn't want to spend more than £500 and it would be for a small lounge as we aren't moving for at least another year.

Thanks in advance!

Hi All,
I'm a first time poster (long time browser).
Having decided to hold off on purchasing a new tv until the Jan sales i'm going to put together my first surround set-up.
I've had a lot of hi-fi equipment over the years from monitor audio, quad, jamo and marantz and have been happily using some Quad 12L's for music the last 2 years or so. I Like the balance of the crisp, almost transparent sounding quads with the warmth of my cambridge amp. But i'd like to keep things stream-lined as i'm short of space and so will be replacing the cambridge amp with a musically capable av amp (i'm 99% set on the Denon 1910).

I had thought about buying a speaker package such as the KEF 2005.3 or the Tannoy arenas as they're pretty compact and *quite good looking (*to keep swmbo happy) but i'm not overly impressed with their musical ability, especially compared to my quads.
So here's where you guys come in. Can you recommend a pair of surround speakers a centre speaker and a sub that would mesh well with a denon 1910 and quad 12Ls as the centres, but also have a small footprint?
I wouldn't want to spend more than £500 and it would be for a small lounge as we aren't moving for at least another year.

Thanks in advance!

As for the choice of amp i think you'd be more than happy with denon 1910 as i got one about a month ago to replace 25year old cyrus 1 which i used to use purely for music but the 1910 is on par with that no problem(cyrus now wired up in garage)

As for rear surrounds,centre and sub, i use 11L for rears and quad L centre and no sub( honestly don't think i need one)(yet)and if you do think you'd need a sub, that's what upgrades are for. obviously i think this sounds great, but i would say that.

You can always keep an eye on the classifieds on this site, and other auction web-sites are available.

If you're trying to keep someone happy surely thats going to be easier if everthing looks similar.

Sorry just noticed you wanted small footprint, Try Quad lite rears and centre(sorry again not paying attention at the back)

Last edited:
@ bobflunkit:
Thanks for the recommendations. I do like the idea of the L-ites for the rear surrounds and will certainly take a close look at them, especially if they are of a similar quality to my current quads.

Do you find your set up to be pretty flexible on positioning? I find that my 12Ls need careful placement to get good imaging. Fortunately the fronts can be placed in a sweet spot. But due to the size and shape of the room I won't be able to get rear surrounds into the 'ideal' position.
I found that the tannoy arenas were extremely flexible with positioning; i just wish they performed better with music.

@ bobflunkit:
Thanks for the recommendations. I do like the idea of the L-ites for the rear surrounds and will certainly take a close look at them, especially if they are of a similar quality to my current quads.

Do you find your set up to be pretty flexible on positioning? I find that my 12Ls need careful placement to get good imaging. Fortunately the fronts can be placed in a sweet spot. But due to the size and shape of the room I won't be able to get rear surrounds into the 'ideal' position.
I found that the tannoy arenas were extremely flexible with positioning; i just wish they performed better with music.

Like i said before haven't had the 1910 long but i've moved complete set up twice already to get things just how i wanted. in the end i ended up how i started,but that wasn't due to poor imagery/sound issues i just had a week off work and needed an excuse not to decorate.

Every time i shifted everything about i just auto-calibrated using audyssey and then tinkered manually with settings to get things just so.

One problem you might have with lites, be it rears or a centre is finish. I dont know what finish you 12L's are, but lites are becoming a little like hens teeth if you're after a certain finish.

Good luck.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom