1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quad 12L + Cyrus 6/8 + Pio AX5i

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by kifimoto, Jan 12, 2004.

1. kifimoto

kifimoto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in a similar position to mikemccon- i've got the AX5i and it's fantastic for AV but i haven't tested it for normal cd yet - as i haven't purchased a proper cd player yet.

i demoed the Quad 12L with Cyrus 6 and 8 last week and am now seriously considering getting them. The Cyrus (even the entry 6) is so good. I was using the Mozart Requiem as test track and i could even make out the plucking of the strings (which to me is nice) and the details for the vocals are wonderful. I also tried the Arcam 73 and 82 on the same track (same amp and speakers) and they were no where near the Cyrus.

i love the look of the quads as well so i will probably go for them but i do worry whether they'd be too dominant as my current speakers are the kef eggs - i.e. if i replace the fronts with Quads, the remaining one may sound tiny..... Would they be OTT as AV speakers - should i keep the eggs as fronts and use the Quads as two channels only?

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Using Quads as fronts and an Egg as a a centre will result in a very unbalanced front sound stage. If you get the 12L's, the matching centre should be considered essential.

Also beware of comparing the AX5i with what you heard at the demos. The Pioneer is a good AV amp, but won't come close to the Arcam setup in stereo, let alone the fabulous Cyrus 8.

Edit: I could be mistaken about your demo - did you use the Pioneer as the amp in both? Sorry, your post isn't 100% clear.

3. kifimoto

kifimoto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, just to clarify, i demoed the Cyrus 6 CD + Cyrus 6 Amp + Quad 12L; Cyrus 8 CD + Cyrus 8 Amp + Quad 12L; the Arcam 73 and 82 CD with Arcam A20 Amp + Quad 12L.

loved the cyrus - not sure if i can tell the difference between the 6 and the 8 tho.....

may be i should just use the Quad 12L separately for two channel use? would you recommend getting the cyrus amp to go with it as well? (rather than going through the AX5i)

4. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Absolutely. If you have the space and can afford it, keeping a seperate (and in your case high quality) stereo-only setup is vastly preferable, to mixing and matching AV kit and speakers.

Using the CD player with the Pioneer and the Quads will rob the music of much of it's quality, clarity and particularly bass. Stereo amps wipe the floor with AV amps when playing music.

HOWEVER, there is another way - use the front speaker pre-outs on the Pioneer and run a phono lead to the Cyrus. Use the Cyrus to run the Quads and the Pioneer to drive the centre/rears/sub. You'll have to play with the 2 volumes to get them to match, but there are tricks for that too. ;) Although you still have the problem with an Egg as a centre..........

Me? If I had the space I'd go for 2 seperate setups - allows better setup of the 12L's without a telly in the way etc. Esp useful when tweaking toe-in etc. :)

5. mikemccon

mikemccon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Word of warning for kifimoto!!

I am now running the Quad 12L's with the Pioneer Ax5i and I am more than happy with the sound quality in both AV and stereo replay. I don't have any rear speakers in my system (yet) and so this affords me the opportunity of running the AX5i in front bi-amp, direct mode (thru QED Silver Anniversary bi-wire cable) to the Quads. This takes the sound quality up a couple of notches again and I personally don't feel the need to purchase a separate stereo amp (although I fully accept the sound quality would be better again). The finish on these speakers is absolutely stunning also. Awesome speakers – ‘nuff said.
    BUT !……….
    I have a major issue concerning the Quad L Centre speaker which I also purchased with the 12's. It does not appear to be magnetically shielded, or if it is, then it's insufficiently so. The speaker has been placed above and below a Sony Wega trinitron (aperture grille) TV and a Toshiba portable (standard shadow-mask tube) and causes severe colour and geometry distortion on both. I've had a replacement and it was even worse. Quad say this is not right (never!), that the centre speaker IS magnetically shielded and that it must be a faulty batch. I currently await the results of their investigation.

In my opinion this is unforgivable from such a prestige speaker manufacturer and I will be returning all 3 speakers for a full refund if they cannot supply me with a properly shielded centre speaker in the near future.

6. mikemccon

mikemccon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Word of warning for kifimoto!!

I am now running the Quad 12L's with the Pioneer Ax5i and I am more than happy with the sound quality in both AV and stereo replay. I don't have any rear speakers in my system (yet) and so this affords me the opportunity of running the AX5i in front bi-amp, direct mode (thru QED Silver Anniversary bi-wire cable) to the Quads. This takes the sound quality up a couple of notches again and I personally don't feel the need to purchase a separate stereo amp (although I fully accept the sound quality would be better again). The finish on these speakers is absolutely stunning also. Awesome speakers – ‘nuff said.
    BUT !……….
    I have a major issue concerning the Quad L Centre speaker which I also purchased with the 12's. It does not appear to be magnetically shielded, or if it is, then it's insufficiently so. The speaker has been placed above and below a Sony Wega trinitron (aperture grille) TV and a Toshiba portable (standard shadow-mask tube) and causes severe colour and geometry distortion on both. I've had a replacement and it was even worse. Quad say this is not right (never!), that the centre speaker IS magnetically shielded and that it must be a faulty batch. I currently await the results of their investigation.

In my opinion this is unforgivable from such a prestige speaker manufacturer and I will be returning all 3 speakers for a full refund if they cannot supply me with a properly shielded centre speaker in the near future.

7. kifimoto

kifimoto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    many thanks for the heads up.
    I don't have too much room for a quad centre speakers so may be the best thing is to use the quads exclusively for stereo?
    could you tell me how exactly you connected your gear up to the ax5i (and with what cable) please?

:smashin:

8. mikemccon

mikemccon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No probs

The AX5i has a very useful feature called Front Bi-amp mode. Since the unit is a 7.1 discrete channel amp this allows you to switch off the rear-centre LR pair of channels and use those amps to bi-amp the front speakers - along with the normal front LR amps. Obviously the downside to this is you can then only run in 5.1 audio but that's no great loss depending on your room and setup, the plus is stereo replay gets a good boost.

The centre speaker (Quad L centre) is just bi-wired rather than bi-amped using the same cable i.e. QED silver anniversary bi-wire cable and is about 2 feet below my screen to avoid the interference I'm seeing when it's placed directly on the TV.

I too am considering purchasing the Pio 868 to make use of the firewire connection to the amp. After this level of expenditure I really could not justify spending more money on a separate stereo amp though. I've skinted myself buying the AX5i and the Quads.

The AX5i is a great amp though - 20kgs !!- nearly died when I first lifted it up !!!!

9. kifimoto

kifimoto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oh, where did you get your quads? still not sure whether i need all 3 as the centre is a bit big... unless i can stick in on the wall above (well above!) the panel.... and how much would you say's a good deal!?
    thanks

10. mikemccon

mikemccon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bought mine from Sevenoaks Liverpool

£849 for the 3 (this is the normal RRP price) but got nearly £110 worth of QED SA bi-wire cable for free.

You will love the 12's - I honestly cannot fault any aspect of them

There's a matching sub for the range due out this year too.
    Hope I can resolve my centre speaker issue cos I really don't want to return the 12's. But I do believe that for good multi channel-sound you should always stick to speakers of the same type for tonal consistency. So if the centre has to go back, unfortunately I'll also have to return the 12's.

Life's a bitch!

11. Boozyuzi

Boozyuzi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
  12. kifimoto

kifimoto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have you guys bought from moorgate accustics before? not dodgy?

13. Boozyuzi

Boozyuzi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Don't worry.

They are 100% legit.

14. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
  15. kifimoto

kifimoto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cyrus 8's are £799 and the 6's are £439...
    do we think they're ok - not abused by the demo staff etc. ?
    seems to be a good buy.
    or shall i get the pio dv868 instead....... puzzled....

16. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    If you live close to sheffield take a trip down otherwise give them a call, you can usually get a feeling for someone on phone over a long chat. But the website seem's pretty good and they seem to have a bit of history. Only my evalution on what i've seen though.

This does seem a real good deal, and if i had the cash i would be thinking very hard about this at the moment!!

I can't afford anymore upgrades until after my summer hols and then i'm gonna have the choice of TV. Projector, Stereo Amp & CD player setup:confused:

But if this offer was around i feel the choice would be swayed.