1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Notice: AVForums will be offline at 10pm for no longer than 30 minutes for scheduled maintenance. Apologies for any inconvenience this causes.
    Dismiss Notice

Quad 11L

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Kali, Aug 7, 2003.

1. Kali

Kali

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Thinking of matching a pair of these with a Rotel RA-01, would this amp be sufficent for these speakers? Source would be an Arcam CD72t with Nordost Solar Wind (or VDH D102III) ICs.

Anyone have any experience of the Quads and/or can reccomend particular amps?

Hope to audition the Rotel combo sometime in the next week or two.. but if it doesn't work well I may other amp combinations if available...

Any thoughts appreciated :)

Cheers,
    Ken

2. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    sounds really nice - the Rotel will be powerful enough to drive the speakers & the Arcam is a really nice cd player

3. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tested the RA-01 with the 11Ls a few weeks back and the combo worked very well (and it sure as hell went loud - despite the 40wpc rating).

Used a RCD-02 for the test though and I simply can't stand this CD player, was awful to my ears - the Arcam you have will produce a much nicer balance I'd imagine & will suit the rest of the equipment very well indeed.

4. rozzar

rozzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    nah
    you won't do justice to the 11ls with the RA-01. You'll probably find it dull sounding, and needing more excitement.

you'd need at least another power amp , or ideally two and using the RA-01 as the pre.

i'd suggest Mission M51s as an alternative as they work better on...ahem...entry level amps.

5. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rozzar - that seems a very bizzare set of statements. The 11L are probably capable of a fair bit more than the RA-01 can deliver, but for the same sort of money I could only recommend a Marantz PM7200.

M51s? Not exactly to my tastes! (infact I didn't like them at all).

6. rozzar

rozzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    yes, the 11ls are capable of quite a bit more than the ra-01, and i said the ra-01 wouldn't do justice to the 11ls. same thing!!

the 7200 is going in the right direction, certainly.

i only suggested the m51s as a mate has these with the ra-01 and it sounded good, if a bit forward for my tastes.

try b&w 602 or kef q1