Qu. for all Quad l-ite owners (and others with the knowledge!!)

tazman007

Hi guys
Finally have got my Quad L-ites :thumbsup: (absolutely beautiful, even the missus impressed with the finish!)

I am bi-wiring the speakers with qed bi-wire micro using banana plugs and have already fixed the banana plugs to the speaker wire. Question is, when fitting the speaker wire to the speakers, do the banana plugs just fit directly to the terminals on the back of the quad speakers and held in place via the screw or is there a way where the plugs fit directly 'into' the back of the speakers. I ask because I vaguely remember someone saying that you can cut the terminals out carefully with a stanley knife and this will reveal a hole where the banana plugs will fit snugly.

Any help/advice appreciated. Also be interested on how others with this system have wired up their L-ites.

TIA

Taz

barnclos

Novice Member
I haven't bi-wired my Quad L-ites, but I can tell you my solution to the "where to stick the banana plugs" question.

Each speaker terminal has a plastic plug (either red or black) which can be removed to insert a banana plug. The Stanley knife method may work, but some of the plugs were very tight, and I found that it was easier to completely unscrew the "locking screw" which contains the plastic plug, then push out the plug from the opposite end (I used a small screwdriver).

Hope that this is clear.

gmehje

Standard Member
Hi - slightly seperate question.

I don't have much room and was looking for a stereo set up - do you reckon the Lites will sund good without a sub? Probably linked up to NAD L53. Or more exactly 'do they sound good without a sub'?

Many thanks

g

clockworks

Novice Member
I've bi-wired my L-ites, with QED micro bi-wire, and I'm very happy with them. I just prised out the plastic caps, like barnclos said, and pushed the plugs into the newly-exposed hole.
Don't forget to remove the bridging pins that join the upper and lower terminals.

I've listened to a pair of L-ites in stereo mode (no sub), on a Denon 3805 and 3910, and on an Onkyo micro system. I was extremely impressed.
You need a sub for DVD use, but not for most music, IMHO.
You will, however, need some solid stands to get the best bottom end from the Quads.

tazman007

Cheers Boys
Unscrewed completely the locking screw and found that the banana plug did not fit in snugly into the resultant hole, it was a tad loose. I can't help but feel I'm doing something wrong here - I'm using the standard 4mm milton plugs, so should I be doing something to the plug itself to make it a snugger fit??
Thanks again
T

Crustyloafer

Distinguished Member
tazman007 said:
Cheers Boys
Unscrewed completely the locking screw and found that the banana plug did not fit in snugly into the resultant hole, it was a tad loose. I can't help but feel I'm doing something wrong here - I'm using the standard 4mm milton plugs, so should I be doing something to the plug itself to make it a snugger fit??
Thanks again
T
Let read through what 'barnclos' has already told you.

barnclos said:
I found that it was easier to completely unscrew the "locking screw" which contains the plastic plug, then push out the plug from the opposite end (I used a small screwdriver).
Maybe its not completely obvious to you but once you have pushed the plastic plug out you need to screw the locking screw back onto the terminals and there will now be a a hole which you can insert the 4mm plugs into.

tazman007

OK thanks, got it sorted now......won't tell you what I was doing :blush:

Think I need to go back to basics with my 3 'R's :rolleyes:

MaiaMan

Standard Member
:hiya: Got the Quad Lites myself, and in my opinion they need a sub

F

fastgt79

I am interested in the Quad L-ites, how well do they work in larger rooms (15'x20' with 2-story ceilings)? In addition, according to the stats they appearing to be a harder speaker to drive, however I listened to them at the A/V store and was amazed the detail and imagine, but that was in a 10' x 11' room with 8' celings).