1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

q's about Panasonic SA-XR25 reciever (good deal or not worth the hassle?)

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by bunyboy, Jan 5, 2005.

1. bunyboy

bunyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    ive just seen the Panasonic SAXR25 reciever (ive found some pretty positive reviews online)and 5 SBFS702 speakers (can't find any mention of these anywhere) on sale as ex-demo stock for £140.. its all a bit bashed up but from a decent retailer and has full g'tee... drawback is the reciever and speakers is literally all i get... no remote, no sub, no instructions, no cables...

im in the market to upgrade from my old videologic all in one set up but know nothing about if this is any good or a good price!

can anyone advise..

how much am i gonna have to spend on top of the £140 to get this set up running? (remote? good sub? speaker wiring?)

is this worth it at this price?

any help would be wonderful.. i need to decide ASAP as it wont be around forever...

thanks all

2. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    If you can get hold of the remote maybe, but without it it will be all but useless and a pain. Also do the speakers use a propritery connection, the amp will probably be spring clips which is normal but some speakers esp by sony and panasonic etc, use a special connector on the speaker end and without the cables the speakers may be useless. One last thing on the speakers do they normaly go through the sub, i.e. the sub takes in 5.1 phono (six phono/3 stero) lead and then does the amplification for the speakers. In which case the impedadence and power levels of the speaker (sats i'm guessing) could be all wrong too.

You would have to buy the remote from panasonic as a multi remote wouldn't do (and could cost you anything upto £60). The amp will have too many specalist buttons. Speaker cable if normal will be as much as you want to spend, from about £10 for the whole system with cheap or £5.50 a meter for Chord carnaval, i've tried both and a few others inbetween and honestly only the later is different from the cheaper stuff.

So you are gonna have to do some checking and it's gonna cost you to be able to use the system, so it might be more worth you getting a package from someone else new. Check out the thread http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175098 and the yamaha AV 100 http://www.unbeatable.co.uk/CatalogueItem_22480.html, is extra (about £50 more) but you do get a new one and their is less fafing around.

3. bunyboy

bunyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    thanks for the info.. its kinda what i expected... the darn thing is more hassle than its worth.. which is annoying coz i wanted the excuse of it being a bargain as a reason to buy it!

the yamaha av100 looks pretty good (i can get a similar thing from richer sounds by getting the pioneer 301 and the yamaha speakers - works out at around the £200 mark too)... the yamaha seems a little better though?

if either of these were £150 I'd have them right now as they'd be an unmissable bargain.. i need to make some more cash to push it to the £200 mark but i will try and do so very soon!

thanks

4. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    The other yamaha AV system from the other thread has a "real" amp although i think it is a RX-V350 it's still probably better than the 301 and is about £160. My dad has a 301 and its not bad, has only scarts on the back though so it has limited av abilities i.e. no component but so do all the small ones. I think the little yamaha (AV 100) looks nice but is a little less powerful than a pioneer 501.

Have a look of the specs of them amp in the AV 50 pack if you can find them, as it looks like a good deal.

5. bunyboy

bunyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    its got the same speakers ive seen at richer sounds but ive been avoiding the chunkier recievers just coz i dont have the room in my cabinet for that size bit of kit (the slimline ones will sit ontop of my dvd player)

looks good though... and im more interested in making the room now you point out they are actually a better peice of kit and cheaper!

6. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    They are better in that they have more connections so you can usualy route everything through them, although you have to look cos some of the chaper stuff doesn't even have s-video on them. Also They are bigger so they have more power and it's general concenus that a haevy amp is a good one.
    Smaller one usaly use didgital amplifiation and thats how they can feasable be so small and still powerful. I think most people would say that bigger amps are probably better (not necessarily cosmeticaly though).