• Welcome to AVForums running Xenforo 2.2. The upgrade from 2.1 was successful and finished in just 90 minutes, well before 8am. The most notable changes in 2.2 are listed in this post.

Qriocity Video is now live

nehalem

Novice Member
Qriocity - Home

Link your existing PSN account here or sign up for a new one.

I have it on good authority that early registrants will get a nice ££ bonus in their new or existing account to spend if they register and pair an existing BRAVIA Internet Video device.

thanks

aVdub

Distinguished Member
Qriocity - Home

Link your existing PSN account here or sign up for a new one.

I have it on good authority that early registrants will get a nice ££ bonus in their new or existing account to spend if they register and pair an existing BRAVIA Internet Video device.

thanks

Just paired up my BDP-S373 :thumbsup:
Prices for the video's seem good and it is something I will be using.

dartilov

Standard Member
Have paired mine up also.

Where does it say what the charges are per film?

I couldn't find it for looking, not entered my card details yet.

Thanks

scrapbook

Distinguished Member
How is the choice compared with lovefilm streaming or say itunes?

And how the hell do you say Qriocity?

nehalem

Novice Member
'Cure-re-osity' - as in curious... these wacky marketeers!
Similar to itunes rental but different to Lovefilm.

nashmills

Do they have films that have just come out on DVD or are they older? Also any info on the music subscription service - how it works, cost, etc?

nehalem

Novice Member
Better is subjective - they are certainly more recent, but whereas Lovefilm offers unlimited viewing, Qriocity pay per view.

Just got firmware update for my Sony EX403 and now have Qriocity, but my LoveFilm player keeps crashing now, is anyone else having this problem?

richard plumb

Distinguished Member
registered and set up an account, and paired it with my TV (having it directly on a TV remote is handy for VOD services). But nothing about a bonus. I got an email from sony about a £15 bonus but does it take a while to turn up? Its been about a week since I set the account up.

richard plumb

Distinguished Member
just got a £15 voucher via email. So now I can try this out, see how it works.

I have a compatible TV and bluray player. Anyone know if its more suited to one or other of those (eg quality of playback, speed of download, HD/SD etc)? It seems that iplayer is better quality on my bluray player compared to my TV. Although for convenience, built into the TV wins.

nehalem

Novice Member
There shouldn't be any difference between TV and Blu-ray quality. iPlayer as you have discovered is the only exception to this rule.

davetez

Standard Member
I too got a £15 voucher as an incentive to register. I watched "Predators" in HD. The quality was good & very watchable but after about 20 minutes, it became unwatchable, "Freezing" approximately every two minutes. A performance test is carried out before the stream starts giving you the chance to opt out if your connection speed isn't up to the job. How convenient that the system says OK, takes your money then is completely unwatchable. Glad I didn't pay for it. (Virgin Cable Broadband) :(

richard plumb

Distinguished Member
hmm. I suppose it doesn't have enough memory to buffer the entire thing, being just built into a TV? so its relying on your bandwidth being enough for streaming and stable enough to handle that for the length of a movie?

cedge

Just got £15 too :)

t11rmh

Novice Member
Since I got my £15 voucher I have not been able to watch anything on qriocity. I get a 'The service cannot be accessed at this time; reference code 111' I cannot find out what this message means anywhere on the internet. Waste of time this service is...

diverboy

Standard Member
I was getting the same issue with the "reference code 111" which started at the same time as they added the audio service. I found that once I'd logged into the audio service and associated my account there, I was able to access video streaming again.

WRT the service, found the same issue with streaming HD. I have a 20Mb cable connection from Virgin, consistently get 19+Mb/sec connection but could not stream Iron Man 2 in HD on a Saturday night. It kept running out of buffer every 30 seconds or so. However, Sunday morning I was able to watch the whole film with just a couple of breaks so I guess the problem may be at Sony's end with not enough capacity or is Saturday night a peak time for IP traffic?

t11rmh

Novice Member
Diverboy - thanks for this. Worked a treat.

However, when I try to view a HD film, it stutters and loads every 30 seconds or so making the film unwatchable. I tried to watch at 22:00 and then again at 04:00. Even at 4am in the morning the experience was the same!

I have a 20mb broadband connection with VM and I can stream HD content quite well from the BBC Iplayer and Lovefilm so it is definitely something at their end. Maybe I have to try and avoid when the Americans are awake...

I will use up my free £15 voucher but whether I will be able to watch anything is another matter.....

Last edited:

theboyo

Novice Member
Got to say that i watched The Devil in hd via qriocity last night and it preformed a speed check before streaming. It said that it needs 5meg mininum speed, but i only have 4meg plus being a saturday night, i didnt think it would work in hd, but to my suprise it did. It buffered once roughtly about the hour mark but only for 8 seconds.
Happy days ahead lol. :clap:

cedge

Just tried this service and colour me impressed. Using the Sony S570 Blu Ray Player I wirelessly watched Inception in SD (to test the service first) and there wasn't any buffering (only at the start whilst it was loading) or stuttering. Will definitely be using the service again.

Danp330

Standard Member
I tried the service with my Sony HX803 TV last Friday night. Selected to watch in SD to 'test the water' even though we have a 20Mbit/s Sky Broadband account and the Qriocity speed test told us HD would be no problem.

The first hour played perfectly without a hitch, but during the last 45 minutes of the film it kept pausing in various places as the media was buffered, which it did around 5-10 times.

I've also linked my Sony S470 blu ray player to the service, so will perhaps try it on that next time to compare.

t11rmh

Novice Member
Now that I have upgraded my Virgin Media to 30mb this service is now running smoothly. Funny how it did not when I was on 20mb. Maybe there is some sort of QOS on my 30mb....

0xGK

Standard Member
Im in western Canada and I've noticed that many of the new previews are in French. Started with "The Tourist" and now Tangled, and TRON. LOL...wont rent anything until the figure out that western Canada is ENGLISH SPEAKING! I've also experienced the stutter problem after about an hour in, and forget about streaming during prime-time. Might be my ISP...but the condition was the same between a 7.5 and 15 Mbps connection. I tried to call Qriocity and spent 30 minutes on hold until being "transferred" to ... "world wide shipping ?!?! :laugh:" Good customer service. What would happen if I had a billing problem? Some improvement necessary.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 20th January 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Netflix passes 200 million subscribers to end 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cyrus Audio announces soundBuds2 in-ear headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Audio Research launches Reference 80S power amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett