QPR bring in Dowie? Why?

overkill

There really is something seismic going on in football at the moment. Managers who've won things wondering whether they will be in a job next season, and managers who've turned struggler's into mid table sides, and others who've rescued them from the brink all staring down the barrel.

This one though totally bemused me. Di Canio took a team that looked on it's way down, and took them to recovery, finally finishing in 14th place. For most QPR fans in December they'd have bitten your hand off if they were offered that. Not only that, but QPR were playing good football.

Now of course, rather mysteriously, Di Canio has gone. In his place, you'd have thought, someone who could build on his brand of attacking football, and push on for promotion. So who, after all the hyperbole, is in the hotseat? Ian Dowie.

Now why is that? The new chairman says he wants 'PL football within two years' he wants to make QPR a 'brand name' in Europe. So how come he's plumped for a man who's CV has been increasingly rank after a good initial spell at Palace?

Is it, and this is what worries me, increasingly the case that the new 'owners' don't like having managers who are 'bigger' than themselves? That are outspoken, or are their own man?

Let's face it, with Dowies record, he must have leapt at the clubs owner and smothered him with kisses after what happened at Coventry.

If it is as I suspect (and more than a few QPR fans echo these thoughts), it's a worrying trend that cannot be good for the game.

RMCF

Distinguished Member
100% with you on this one.

As some of you may remember, I regularly claim that football is totally unbelieveable at times.

Its the only job where you can be rubbish, and yet continue to walk into high paying job. No other business in the world would do it, based on the fact that you did something right one time many moons ago.

Now I was excited when I heard about the billionaires behind QPR. I heard them say they wanted to be in the CL in the next 4 years or so. Great I thought. They are going to spend silly money, get a top manager then top players and buy themselves the EPL (it can be done).

I expected a top foreign coach and top foreign players.

Now the revolution starts with Dowie. And now I'm confused?

Ian J

Banned
Dowie is a one trick pony as his method is based on fitness and once everyone is as fit as they can be he's out of ideas.

I'll say one thing for him though - he's got bouncebackability

hillster

Agree is it's odd but Dowie may surprise us. In Italy Di Canio has a reputation for saving teams from relegation, perhaps he was brought in to do that and nothing else?

I expected QPR to go for a bigger name as they've got a few quid, Dowie's certainly not a popular choices amongst my QPR supporting mates.

overkill

Its the only job where you can be rubbish, and yet continue to walk into high paying job. No other business in the world would do it, based on the fact that you did something right one time many moons ago.
Hmmmmmmmmmm. Not convinced about that RMCF. Agreed with what else you said, but having worked in numerous lines of work, and seen just that happening all too often, i.e. guys (and gals) with big reps but no ability creating a huge mess, damaging a company, getting booted (too late) then walking into another cushy number, I'd say, if anything football is imitating British business. ;)

Hillster, if Dowie comes good, I won't just be surprised, I'll faint! :D However, I suspect what we'll actually see, is no wins, or very few wins, in the first 10, QPR in the bottom three, and Dowie booted out.

You never know, he might shock us, but.................

Ian J

Banned
However, I suspect what we'll actually see, is no wins, or very few wins, in the first 10, QPR in the bottom three, and Dowie booted out.
He won't be booted out. He will ask to leave as he wants to work nearer his family in the North West and the following week will be presented as the new manager of Southampton.

overkill

He won't be booted out. He will ask to leave as he wants to work nearer his family in the North West and the following week will be presented as the new manager of Southampton.
:D Ooooh, I hope so!

Maybe he can take the Saints down! :clap: