QOS Advice? DD-WRT

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by Carnagerover, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Carnagerover

Carnagerover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    Hi all,

Basically I have just bought a Nighthawk R7000 from Netgear and put DD-WRT on it, I am looking to implement some QOS but I'm a bit of a noob at it really.

I am interested in QOS, I have quite a fast internet connection at 80Mbps down and 20Mbps up but I would like to make sure that the following devices in the house have enough available bandwidth to stream internet video whilst other tasks are going on.

1. 2 iPads (wireless)
    2. PS4 (wired)
    3. Gaming PC (wired)
    These devices will mainly be used for streaming video, like Netflix and Twitch.tv on the iPads and then gaming on the PS4 and Gaming PC, there are other wireless devices in the house also that are not as important.

I have inputted the Uplink and Downlink to the recommended specifications and at the moment I am just using the MAC priority fucntion to set these devices to Premium and I am assuming all other devices then just fall into the Standard priority.

My question is what do people recommend the best way to go about this is, probably not the way that I am going about it at the moment?

My thinking is that if any of my important devices are on the network then they are going to get priority over normal traffic but if more than one of these devices is on then they are going to share the bandwidth with each other and then the rest of the network.

Like I say I am just looking for the best way to go about this sort of thing?