Qobuz free trial - not off to the best start...

DT79

Kicked off my Qobuz free trial yesterday. I have used Song Shift running on my iPad to replicate all my albums and playlists from Apple Music and Tidal to Qobuz. The playlists worked relatively OK aside from a few songs that Qobuz couldn’t match, but initial impressions are that there are fewer failed matches than Tidal.

I do have a problem with albums though. In SS it appears to match more or less everything in my AM library and it reports that it successfully set everything up in Qobuz, but when I go to the Qobuz app, a load of albums are missing. I checked on both my iPad and iPhone and it is only the same subset present. I tried a number of times, but same result. Then on the off chance I downloaded and set up the desktop version of the qobuz app on my iMac, and everything appears to be there! I’ve since been back to both the iPad and iPhone, tried toggling filters and even logging out/in but no matter what I try, I still see this reduced subset of albums...any ideas?

Steve356

Distinguished Member
Kicked off my Qobuz free trial yesterday. I have used Song Shift running on my iPad to replicate all my albums and playlists from Apple Music and Tidal to Qobuz. The playlists worked relatively OK aside from a few songs that Qobuz couldn’t match, but initial impressions are that there are fewer failed matches than Tidal.

I do have a problem with albums though. In SS it appears to match more or less everything in my AM library and it reports that it successfully set everything up in Qobuz, but when I go to the Qobuz app, a load of albums are missing. I checked on both my iPad and iPhone and it is only the same subset present. I tried a number of times, but same result. Then on the off chance I downloaded and set up the desktop version of the qobuz app on my iMac, and everything appears to be there! I’ve since been back to both the iPad and iPhone, tried toggling filters and even logging out/in but no matter what I try, I still see this reduced subset of albums...any ideas?

Can't help on your specific issue as I don't use my system the same way you are, but during weekdays, I've found Qobuz support to quite decent. I'm sure they can sort it for you and if necessary, extend your free trail a bit longer.

DT79

Not looking good... Qobuz support can’t seem to figure out what the problem is and are not exactly inspiring confidence in their abilities or determination to do so with the statement “We could not figure out what is happening with the favourites displayed on your iPhone and iPad. We will let you know if we do.”

They also said that they couldn’t extend the free trial.....

It’s such a shame because I really really want Qobuz to work for me so I can ditch both Apple Music and Tidal (neither of which is sufficient alone).

DT79

Update - Qobuz have been able to identify the issue and have said that they will fix it in an upcoming update. The downside is that they have not committed to when this will be. I guess we’ll se how it goes and I’ll try to evaluate it as best I can in the meantime.

I’ve already been using it via Roon with mixed results. On a couple of occasions I’ve experienced tracks randomly skipping ahead (i.e. it skips on to the next track even though the current one hasn’t finished playing). I used it quite a bit last night though, and it didn’t do that. On the other hand the sound quality seems excellent. I can’t rule out expectation bias and I certainly haven’t done any comparative testing, but my impression is that it sounds a little better than Tidal.

Steve356

Distinguished Member
How are you connecting Roon? WiFi, Powerline or direct to Router?

I found Roon very flakey with the same issue you have when my 3400 was connected via WiFi, but it improved when I connected the 3400 via Powerline.

Also how are you using Roon, e.g. are you upsampling?

DT79

How are you connecting Roon? WiFi, Powerline or direct to Router?

I found Roon very flakey with the same issue you have when my 3400 was connected via WiFi, but it improved when I connected the 3400 via Powerline.

Also how are you using Roon, e.g. are you upsampling?
I‘ve got my Roon Core running on a Synology D920+ connected via ethernet, as it the Oppo 203 I’m using as an end point. I had previously set Roon to perform sample rate conversion to 96khz (knowing that was the native internal processing frequency of my 2170) for everything except 16/44.1 (to preserve the functioning of ICC).

I remembered this when I saw that i was playing back a 24/192 file (what a novelty, nothing like that on Tidal!) and figured I might as well remove the downsample to 96khz and pipe it in to my 2170 in its native form.

Steve356

Distinguished Member
Not sure why you're getting track skipping then. Best try Roon support I guess. They will ask for what your system is and how it's configured, so maybe best to put that with your request for support in order to speed up a response.

Wish I could help more, but my set up is very different from yours. Sorry.

DT79

Not sure why you're getting track skipping then. Best try Roon support I guess. They will ask for what your system is and how it's configured, so maybe best to put that with your request for support in order to speed up a response.

Wish I could help more, but my set up is very different from yours. Sorry.
No worries, I’m going to try it a bit more before raising a support request. It may have been just a one/two-off. As I say, it was fine last night.

Steve356

Distinguished Member
No worries, I’m going to try it a bit more before raising a support request. It may have been just a one/two-off. As I say, it was fine last night.

Just in case you've not dealt with Roon Support before, be aware that generally if you post a support request over a weekend, it's unlikely you'll get a response until the following Monday evening at the earliest as they don't work weekends. Always seemed strange me as I'd expect the majority of people probably use Roon the most over a weekend.

DT79

Just in case you've not dealt with Roon Support before, be aware that generally if you post a support request over a weekend, it's unlikely you'll get a response until the following Monday evening at the earliest as they don't work weekends. Always seemed strange me as I'd expect the majority of people probably use Roon the most over a weekend.
Thanks, I’ve raised a few things to them, including one still ongoing, so I know the drill (Part if the reason I want to really be sure there’s an issue before raising anything).

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom