• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question QNAP ts-251 now or wait for ts-251+ ?

jont

Seems Qnap are adding to their NAS range ... about to release an upgrade to the ts-251 - the ts-251+ !

Same 2-bay, 8gb NAS but with a quad-core processor instead of the dual-core - oh and it comes in black ! ... details on amazon ... contacted qnap and they have confirmed its legit - they haven't got around to updating their website yet

Just wondering if it's worth a) hanging on a few weeks until it starts to ship ... and b) whether the £50 processor supplement is worth it ?

Any thoughts ??

wysinawyg

It is on the website now, albeit not working in the compare products.

So its basically the 253 in a cheaper case with a remote control isn't it?

Comparing to the old 251 though its 2GB ram at base vs 1GB in the old 251.

Personally I'm hankering after the 453, its cheaper than the 451+ with better build quality (metal HDD trays) and is a modest bump over the price of the 451 (with the better processor and extra GB of ram).

I'm also not sure of the economy of a 2 bay NAS as unless you're looking for pretty modest storage I reckon you get your money back on the savings on the HDDs.

e.g. I'm after about 6TB to start. Going with some redundancy I can get 3 x 3TB WD Reds for £85 each and would need 3 so £255. To get the same 6TB with a 2 bay drive I'm looking at £360. So I save £105 on HDDs by buying a NAS that costs £90 more (albeit I'm then RAID 5 rather than mirrored). And when I need another 3TB I just buy another 3TB drive, whereas I'd be looking at two new 8TB drives if I'd gone down the 2 bay route (albeit the 6TBs could be recycled for backups).

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom