QNAP T210 and MKV Files

BlackBeltBlakey

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

This weekend I got around to setting up my new QNAP TS-210. I've stuck 2 x 2TB disks inside, under RAID1 (don't want to lose all those important pictures and home movies) and transfered all my existing media onto it. I have loads of music (all mp3s), pictures (nearly all JPG) and a few videos (mostly MKV and MPG files).

When it comes to streaming this media to my PS3 over my WiFi network there are issues. Pictures work perfectly. Music streams perfectly. My MPGs - which are all short home movie snippets of no more than a couple minutes each - all work perfectly. But my MKV files, which are massive in comparison (a few GB each) do not play.

The PS3 finds the files fine but when I select them they just sit there blankly. Sometimes it throws a media error. Once I even got the opening frame of the video up on the TV and then it hung.

I *think* what is happening is that the QNAP TS-210 is trying to convert the MKV file on the fly as it's playing it and - as the processor isn't really designed to do this with this scale of file - it is hanging/failing.

So, my questions are:

1. Is anyone else doing something similar?
2. If so how did you solve the problem?
3. If I want to convert my MKV files what media should I be converting them to?
4. Any good software choices for doing the media conversion?

Many thanks all
Blakey

Last edited:
Hello all,

This weekend I got around to setting up my new QNAP TS-210. I've stuck 2 x 2TB disks inside, under RAID1 (don't want to lose all those important pictures and home movies) and transfered all my existing media onto it. I have loads of music (all mp3s), pictures (nearly all JPG) and a few videos (mostly MKV and MPG files).

When it comes to streaming this media to my PS3 over my WiFi network there are issues. Pictures work perfectly. Music streams perfectly. My MPGs - which are all short home movie snippets of no more than a couple minutes each - all work perfectly. But my MKV files, which are massive in comparison (a few GB each) do not play.

The PS3 finds the files fine but when I select them they just sit there blankly. Sometimes it throws a media error. Once I even got the opening frame of the video up on the TV and then it hung.

I *think* what is happening is that the QNAP TS-210 is trying to convert the MKV file on the fly as it's playing it and - as the processor isn't really designed to do this with this scale of file - it is hanging/failing.

So, my questions are:

1. Is anyone else doing something similar?
2. If so how did you solve the problem?
3. If I want to convert my MKV files what media should I be converting them to?
4. Any good software choices for doing the media conversion?

Many thanks all
Blakey

1. I stream to the PS3 occasionally, got an all in one player though.....
2. The problem is, as you say the PS3 doesn't play MKV so encoding is needed, does the QNAP encode on the fly, no, and as you say, not got the cpu for it.
So you need to think of dedicated NAS as just devices serving up files, unless you have your own custom built NAS with streaming software that can encode on the fly.....
3. mkv2vob will repack your MKV files into a m2ts container with no encoding, so video and audio quality remains.....

ALSO, if your mkv are HD, which I assume they are, then wired is essential, especially for 1080p VIDEO.....

Good luck.................

Hi MediaMan,

Thanks for the reply. If I read this right what you are saying is that I need to convert all my MKV files into M2TS format? And I can do so with the "mkv2vob" program?

Regarding streaming - you're right, they are HD and I appreciate that Wifi streaming is going to be crap. I am in the middle of setting up a CAT-6 network in the house (nearly done now) and when that's complete all data will stream via that to the PS3 and from there to the TV via the Amp. So going forward I will have wired access. Just need to get sensible files first.

Thanks again!
Blakey

Hi MediaMan,

Thanks for the reply. If I read this right what you are saying is that I need to convert all my MKV files into M2TS format? And I can do so with the "mkv2vob" program?

Regarding streaming - you're right, they are HD and I appreciate that Wifi streaming is going to be crap. I am in the middle of setting up a CAT-6 network in the house (nearly done now) and when that's complete all data will stream via that to the PS3 and from there to the TV via the Amp. So going forward I will have wired access. Just need to get sensible files first.

Thanks again!
Blakey

mkv2vob will do the job for you, i like to emphasize that there is no conversion taking place, just repacking it into a box readable by the PS3, and takes no time at all..........

It sometimes fiddles with the audio but still maintains 5.1...........

what amp have you got, HDMI inputs I take it............?

I have a Sony TV (new, can't recall exact model name), a Sony PS3, Sony HTAS5 Amp (can you spot a theme here?) and a Humax FOXSAT. The Foxsat and PS3 are both cabled into the HTAS5 via HDMI 1.4 cables. There is an HDMI 1.4 cable then going from the HTAS5 into the TV - standard set up for the HTAS5 as far as I can tell.

So in my case for streaming media we're talking QNAP to PS3 currently via WiFi. Then from PS3 to Sony HTAS5 via HDMI. Then HTAS5 to TV via HDMI. Does that sound like it might work for video?

Good to know the program doesn't convert the file but encapsulates them - which means a fast "translation". Otherwise I think I'd be spending the next few years translating my MKV library!

I have a Sony TV (new, can't recall exact model name), a Sony PS3, Sony HTAS5 Amp (can you spot a theme here?) and a Humax FOXSAT. The Foxsat and PS3 are both cabled into the HTAS5 via HDMI 1.4 cables. There is an HDMI 1.4 cable then going from the HTAS5 into the TV - standard set up for the HTAS5 as far as I can tell.

So in my case for streaming media we're talking QNAP to PS3 currently via WiFi. Then from PS3 to Sony HTAS5 via HDMI. Then HTAS5 to TV via HDMI. Does that sound like it might work for video?

Good to know the program doesn't convert the file but encapsulates them - which means a fast "translation". Otherwise I think I'd be spending the next few years translating my MKV library!

All that sounds great for audio and video, dont know if HD audio can be handled over cat5e/6 though, but you would never notice........lol.....(now i see it doesn't decode HD stuff anyway..:))

Is the sound system network capable............?

I used to spend 13+ hours on my acer revo converting, then i found out about all in ones, media player and NAS devices, and couldn't believe all the time I had wasted converting, and at the same time destroying the 5.1..

Last edited:
I'm not an audiophile (will I get lynched for saying that on this forum??) so I don't think I'll notice if the sound isn't HD. So if the Cat6 kills the HD audio but at least supports 5.1 then I'm happy. Does it? :)

What you say "Is the sound system network capable?" what do you mean? Do you mean does the Sony HTAS5 Amp have a Cat6 input?

Looking forward to getting home this evening and converting one of my MKV files and testing it. We shall see if there is any hope that it runs over Wifi...

I'm not an audiophile (will I get lynched for saying that on this forum??) so I don't think I'll notice if the sound isn't HD. So if the Cat6 kills the HD audio but at least supports 5.1 then I'm happy. Does it? :)

What you say "Is the sound system network capable?" what do you mean? Do you mean does the Sony HTAS5 Amp have a Cat6 input?

Looking forward to getting home this evening and converting one of my MKV files and testing it. We shall see if there is any hope that it runs over Wifi...

LOL, you wont get lynched..........you would only notice HD audio with larger room, and better, more expensive systems which can handle more than 6 channels, well, the majority of people any way.......however your system doesn't support it, so your sound..........

By network ready I do mean an Ethernet port, so as to enable direct DNLA streaming, would save you going through the PS3 and then there might be support for MKV, I am guessing not as there was nothing mentioned in any of the spec sheets...........

Good luck with mkv2vob, make sure and get the most up to date version, there were problems with the version before that.......

You can stream 720p over the wireless bandwidth, but you would struggle to rewind/fast forward etc......1080p probably not at all........

Have you considered home plugs.........?

I'll check the HTAS5 to see if it has an Ethernet port. Like you say that would neglect the need to pass through the PS3, although I don't know if the HTAS5 supports media controls like "pause, stop, forward wind" etc. So probably it will have to go to the PS3. We have an internet ready TV but I need it to go to the HTAS5 as this is what pumps out the sound. Anyway, until the CAT6 is completed the only way to get the video to the TV is via Wifi through the PS3.

I'm crap at posting when a solution has been found but will try and make an exception in this case!

Home plugs is something I've heard of but never tried. Since I've already wired Cat6 all through the house apart from the final act of drilling a hole in my ceiling and runing the CAT6 to my router, I'm guessing I'll be best off just completing this job rather than switching to home plugs though, right? Or are they complementary? Any threads with more info?

Cheers!
Blakey

I'll check the HTAS5 to see if it has an Ethernet port. Like you say that would neglect the need to pass through the PS3, although I don't know if the HTAS5 supports media controls like "pause, stop, forward wind" etc. So probably it will have to go to the PS3. We have an internet ready TV but I need it to go to the HTAS5 as this is what pumps out the sound. Anyway, until the CAT6 is completed the only way to get the video to the TV is via Wifi through the PS3.

I'm crap at posting when a solution has been found but will try and make an exception in this case!

Home plugs is something I've heard of but never tried. Since I've already wired Cat6 all through the house apart from the final act of drilling a hole in my ceiling and runing the CAT6 to my router, I'm guessing I'll be best off just completing this job rather than switching to home plugs though, right? Or are they complementary? Any threads with more info?

Cheers!
Blakey

No No, if you have the wires in place, being cat 6, i would rather go with that any day..............home plugs are good and reliable, but you can beat good old fashioned cable with dedicated bandwidth for your media needs...IMO

keep us posted on your mkv2vob experiences...............:D

Network streaming doesn't affect the sound, it just streams the file exactly as it is lol, where do you think the audio magics off too lol.

That's correct, but HD sound can only travel through an HDMI cable, which isnt a concern with this amp....

Sent from my HTC Legend using AVForums

That's correct, but HD sound can only travel through an HDMI cable, which isnt a concern with this amp....

Sent from my HTC Legend using AVForums

But that has nothing to do with the network, the HD sound will travel with the rest of the file over ethernet to the playback device, and that is when the interface matters, from the playback device to the TV/Amp.

But that has nothing to do with the network, the HD sound will travel with the rest of the file over ethernet to the playback device, and that is when the interface matters, from the playback device to the TV/Amp.

ok, so, could i send HD audio to my amp over ethernet, it has hd decoders.........

I'm not playing your stupid game, you know full well what I am saying so cut the crap.

honestly mate, i am being serious..........if i can get HD audio I want to have it....i am not that knowledgable about it all............

i thought the limitation was in the bandwidth of the cable.............

Calm down guys.

i think the OP thought i was being sarcastic, whe I honestly wasnt, I would genuinely like to discuss it............

Well I'm impressed. Just run mkv2vob on a 1.2GB mkv file. It converted it in about 15 minutes. Connected to the file on my QNAP TS-210 via the PS3 over good ole Wifi and ran the video. Absolute top quality HD TV and sound streamed straight to the TV from the QNAP via Twonky. No glitches, rich colour and sharp picture - perfect syncing for the sound and picture. In other words: PERFECT.

Well chuffed - and massive thanks for the help.

Blakey (who is now queuing up all his MKVs for conversion!)

Yes, sorry "repacking". Any which way - really pleased with the results - even over Wifi. So thanks for the pointer to mkv2vob. Top software (dead easy to use too!)

Yes, sorry "repacking". Any which way - really pleased with the results - even over Wifi. So thanks for the pointer to mkv2vob. Top software (dead easy to use too!)

What audio options are you using............

Errr can't recall. If you can post the options I'll know which one it is. Basically I think I chose the default for that...

DTS audio can be changed/patched to look like AC3 (Dolby Digital) which is the DTS to AC3 option........

There is also the 'always transcode DTS' option which has to be selected if you dont have a Home Theater..........

And of course you could not have anything selected which would simply keep the audio the way it was intended........:)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom