QNAP NAS remote replication (RTRR)

techno79

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in buying a QNAP TS-112 NAS box. According to QNAP's site, it supports Real-Time Remote Replication (RTRR). I've looked through their webpage to try to understand how this works and I'm looking to run it in the following scenario:
I'd buy the QNAP TS-112 NAS box for storing files at my house. A friend of mine will also be buying the same device (or another QNAP RTRR compatible NAS box) and use this at his house for storing his files. We'd then configure each of our respective NAS boxes to replicate to each other's NAS so we both have a remote copy of our data.

The page says the link can be encrypted by enabling the SSL option but my questions are:
Does it allow the local NAS to enforce its replicated data to be encrypted on the remote NAS?
Am I able to set up multiple remote locations for replication? (i.e. if I had a 2nd friend with a QNAP device, can I replicate to two locations?)

I've tried contacting QNAP a few times but haven't received a reply.

TIA

Question - why are you wanting to do this do you have mission critical data you can't just back up off your rear USB port on you NAS into an external drive ? That is once you have bought one.

Data is only encrypted during data transfer. Your friend will able to open/delete/replace files in your backup, as he is the admin of that NAS box.

I haven't used any of the QNAP boxes, but looking at screenshots I see no problem with creating multiple backup jobs, each using a different remote NAS as a destination. Creating too many real time backup jobs will likely slow down the NAS.

I hope you are on an unlimited Internet usage plan.

Last edited:
Question - why are you wanting to do this do you have mission critical data you can't just back up off your rear USB port on you NAS into an external drive ? That is once you have bought one.

This will only give me another local backup which is not what I'm after. I'm wanting to create an offsite backup for some of my most important data. I'm currently doing this using Amazon's cloud storage service but I'm looking to find something that has no ongoing costs.

Data is only encrypted during data transfer. Your friend will able to open/delete/replace files in your backup, as he is the admin of that NAS box.

I haven't used any of the QNAP boxes, but looking at screenshots I see no problem with creating multiple backup jobs, each using a different remote NAS as a destination. Creating too many real time backup jobs will likely slow down the NAS.

I hope you are on an unlimited Internet usage plan.

That's a shame that data is not stored encrypted however, that's not a major issue for how I will use it. I'll mainly use it for my personal documents and my digital camera photos. I've got pretty much unlimited usage (I think it's 250GB a month). Even then, I'll probably do the initial replication on the LAN as the transferred data from subsequent replications should only be a few GB a month.

Thanks for the replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom