Qnap 209 - Questions

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by DenzilTK421, Feb 4, 2009.

1. DenzilTK421

DenzilTK421

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I originally posted here - but not found any joy...

http://www.avforums.com/forums/ps3-media-streaming/926588-few-questions-about-qnap-209-a.html

I was wondering if any perusers of this section maybe able to help...

Dear All

I am think of getting a Qnap 209 NAS.
    Primarily it will be used to serve songs and videos to the PS3 & MacBook.
    The questions I have are;
    1) Will I be able to backup the MacBook directly to the 209?
    2) Will I be able to backup the PS3 directly to the 209?
    3) Will I be able to move my PlayTV recordings (and any other file for that matter) from the PS3's menu system to the 209 & will these remain playable from there (or will they have to be moved back)?
    4) Will the MacBook treat any file on the 209 like it would if using a USB attached HDD (will it read write directly, or is it more like a ftp type set up)?
    5) Will iTunes server allow me to sync music videos etc to my iPhone?

I can't think of any more questions, but please give me an outline of your experiences with a similar setup.
    Thanks in advance.

Denny

2. chewystuey

chewystuey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Yes - you can play around with Time Machine to do this - but it needs a bit of work.

maybe.
    i believe you need a usb connection to the PS3 in order to do a backup - ie i don't think you can do a network backup - but you *may* be able to connect the PS3 and QNAP via USB - but i've not tried this.

You should be able to move some files to the QNAP, but i have no idea with PlayTV - except to say that I believe these are only viewable on the PS3.

enable the apple sharing server on the QNAP (can't remember what it's called) and my QNAP NAS just appears as a shared drive, so it looks just like any other drive to the macbook.

the iTunes server on the QNAP is actually just a front end to a DAAP protocol server, so all that does is show the NAS up as a "shared library" in iTunes.

You can store your music and your library on the QNAP, but this is different to the "itunes server" functionality.

FYI I have a PS3, Alu Macbook, QNAP 209 II pro and iphone :)

3. DenzilTK421

DenzilTK421

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    In response to your answers..

1) I'll have a look about on the net for this, but is this something you ahve tried?

2) Not a problem about that - I will end up with a spare HDD which I can place in an enclosure and use as a USB backup drive.

3) Having looked a little deeper into this - it shouldn't rally be a probelm provided the file can be copied to the NAS - I understand that the PS3 would be the only device to read the file.

4) Would this be like the Netatalk for the iPhone - it shows the iPhone as a shared folder and is browserable as you described.

5) Still a litlle confused about this. currently i have an iTunes library on an external HDD which is used by multiple users. I would like to still have multiple users access the library (via iTunes server) and have the PS3 be able to access the songs too - does the PS3 access the songs via the iTunes server?
    At the end of it all I want to still be able to update my iphone with music from the NAS.