QN95B Neo QLED: Bass Vibration Problem

Chumley

Novice Member
Took receipt of my QE55QN95B today and all seemed okay watching a bit of normal TV. However, whilst watching VIKINGS on Prime the back of the TV vibrates like it's full of Bees when the sound gets a bit 'Bassy', which it does quite often during Vikings!
I thought whilst unpacking and putting the TV together that the back of the TV was a bit flimsy - just a thin plastic sheet as a backplate, so it's probably inevitable that when things get tasty during a movie the whole thing vibrates. Even the wife said she noticed the buzzing above her Tinnitus!
I'll be contacting JLP tomorrow as it ruins the viewing experience...

Update: After an hour on the phone going through their Technical Support Procedures (cables, mute, Sound Test, Bass to Zero etc etc), my less-than-a-day old QN95B is being replaced with a new one.
Once off the phone I further tested it by viewing a very Bass oriented Dolby Atmos Test Video on Youtube - it nearly rattled itself to bits!
So I'm really hoping that the replacement isn't another 'Friday' production line issue job but, we'll see. The first test I'll be doing is watching the same Dolby Atmos Demo video to check for vibration.

Update 2: Found a Youtube reviewer [here] whom observed the same Bass distortion. So I'm not holding my breath that a new unit will cure the issue.

Last edited:

Chumley

Novice Member
I've been through the whole fault-finding process and even reset the TV. Being an Electronics Engineer of over 38 years myself, having to plod through their processes step-by-step required me to bite my tongue with some of the utter irrelevance of their investigations, but I was ever the professional and did it with a smile - or maybe a grimace - to the bitter end when they declared it faulty ...
Anyhoo, it's not a Sound processing fault or an issue with the speakers; this is a physical construction issue with regards to the type of back that Samsung have fitted to the TV. Instead of being a sturdy, solid backpiece it's a thin sheet of plastic which is only secured around the frame edges. The cover sort of flexes when pressed with a finger, like when you press on a jam-jar lid that has been opened, so when the deep Bass kicks in the whole of the back cover oscillates against the chassis. Maybe if Samsung had secured it with multiple plastic poppers across the whole surface (similar to those that hold vehicle trim in place) it might be prone to vibrate less?
As it stands, the TV is unwatchable with any level of Bass and I've had to turn them to minimum via the expert/EQ settings because it was scaring the dogs!
This was touted as a 2022 'Flagship' TV but, the lack of QC in this case is evident enough to warrant its return - so, the TV is being collected by John Lewis this week and I've chosen a different Brand instead. I can't wait to be rid of it TBH, I'll certainly not be returning to Samsung anytime soon.

Last edited:

vanillathijs

Novice Member
I've been through the whole fault-finding process and even reset the TV. Being an Electronics Engineer of over 38 years myself, having to plod through their processes step-by-step required me to bite my tongue with some of the utter irrelevance of their investigations, but I was ever the professional and did it with a smile - or maybe a grimace - to the bitter end when they declared it faulty ...
Anyhoo, it's not a Sound processing fault or an issue with the speakers; this is a physical construction issue with regards to the type of back that Samsung have fitted to the TV. Instead of being a sturdy, solid backpiece it's a thin sheet of plastic which is only secured around the frame edges. The cover sort of flexes when pressed with a finger, like when you press on a jam-jar lid that has been opened, so when the deep Bass kicks in the whole of the back cover oscillates against the chassis. Maybe if Samsung had secured it with multiple plastic poppers across the whole surface (similar to those that hold vehicle trim in place) it might be prone to vibrate less?
As it stands, the TV is unwatchable with any level of Bass and I've had to turn them to minimum via the expert/EQ settings because it was scaring the dogs!
This was touted as a 2022 'Flagship' TV but, the lack of QC in this case is evident enough to warrant its return - so, the TV is being collected by John Lewis this week and I've chosen a different Brand instead. I can't wait to be rid of it TBH, I'll certainly not be returning to Samsung anytime soon.
Took receipt of my QE55QN95B today and all seemed okay watching a bit of normal TV. However, whilst watching VIKINGS on Prime the back of the TV vibrates like it's full of Bees when the sound gets a bit 'Bassy', which it does quite often during Vikings!
I thought whilst unpacking and putting the TV together that the back of the TV was a bit flimsy - just a thin plastic sheet as a backplate, so it's probably inevitable that when things get tasty during a movie the whole thing vibrates. Even the wife said she noticed the buzzing above her Tinnitus!

Update: After an hour on the phone going through their Technical Support Procedures (cables, mute, Sound Test, Bass to Zero etc etc), my less-than-a-day old QN95B is being replaced with a new one.
Once off the phone I further tested it by viewing a very Bass oriented Dolby Atmos Test Video on Youtube - it nearly rattled itself to bits!
So I'm really hoping that the replacement isn't another 'Friday' production line issue job but, we'll see. The first test I'll be doing is watching the same Dolby Atmos Demo video to check for vibration.

Update 2: Found a Youtube reviewer [here] whom observed the same Bass distortion. So I'm not holding my breath that a new unit will cure the issue.
Hey mate, just picked up this TV and having the exact same issue. Latest software, have tried resetting as well. Will be contacting support tomorrow. One question though, I can't seem to access the sound equaliser settings it's greyed out for me and when I try to select it, it says "this function is not available". Any idea what might be going on there?

Also, has your new unit arrived and does the issue still persist?

Thanks.

Chumley

Novice Member
If you have the AI settings on it won't give you the option of tuning the TV yourself, you'll need to turn off 'AI' in the general settings first. This should allow you to tweak each setting. Customer support had me turn the Bass to minimum as part of their 'fault finding' - as well as muting the sound and asking if the vibration had gone (duh!).
Unfortunately, the issue was not resolved by a new unit, which turned out to have the same flimsy back-plate vibration problem. In the end I got rid of the Samsung and ordered a 65" LG QLED (late 2021 model) which was £699 cheaper, so I used the 'bonus' cash to buy a decent matching Atmos soundbar.
The first thing I did with it was play some Atmos samples through the LG set up - fantastic! I'll not be buying another Samsung TV anytime soon.

vanillathijs

Novice Member
If you have the AI settings on it won't give you the option of tuning the TV yourself, you'll need to turn off 'AI' in the general settings first. This should allow you to tweak each setting. Customer support had me turn the Bass to minimum as part of their 'fault finding' - as well as muting the sound and asking if the vibration had gone (duh!).
Unfortunately, the issue was not resolved by a new unit, which turned out to have the same flimsy back-plate vibration problem. In the end I got rid of the Samsung and ordered a 65" LG QLED (late 2021 model) which was £699 cheaper, so I used the 'bonus' cash to buy a decent matching Atmos soundbar.
The first thing I did with it was play some Atmos samples through the LG set up - fantastic! I'll not be buying another Samsung TV anytime soon.
Thanks for the response. Managed to get into the equaliser settings but I definitely won't be accepting this as a 'fix' to the vibrating issue, and I didn't have much luck anyway playing around with the settings. I'll see what support says tomorrow. Sorry to hear that the new unit had the same issue for you. I guess getting a soundbar would fix the problem but finding it hard to justify spending more money on a TV that was already so pricey. Perhaps I'll return it and opt for the LG C2 Evo after all. Thanks again and enjoy your LG tv!

Brooksey123

Novice Member

Yep exactly the same problem not what I expect from Samsung !!!

So when I phone up will they pretend they know nothing about the issue or will honesty prevail??

Tob8i

Novice Member
Just posted it in antoher thread, but it also fits here:

The vibrating back is a simple design fault. Every model with the Infinity Design has it. The plastic back plate of the TV is too thin and seems to have a resonance frequency in the audible bass range. It is quite surprising that Samsung did not change anything about it for the 2022 models.

On a German forum, one user solved the issue of the vibrating back quite simple. Just install screws and rubber spacers in the VESA mounts, even if the TV is placed on the stand. This tightens the back and it does not vibrate that much any more.

Last edited:

Yoggo

What about if you are wall mounting? I have mine on a stand at the moment but it will be on a wall mount next month.
I phoned Samsung Technical support and eventually after a reset they asked me to send a video of the issue. The opening credits of the Adam Project on Netflix are a really good example of the bass vibration, even at low (11) sound levels.
Apparently now I'm going to get a technician to come and take a look at it.

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom