QN95a 55” screen cutting out in games (ps5 and series x)

swordfish100

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey, so a few days ago I took delivery of a beautiful new Samsung QN95a 55” tv. Its a superb tv, but I’ve had one little issue...

On rare occasions (happened 3 times, in about 10 hours gaming) I get this odd thing, where during a game, the screen cuts out to black for a couple of seconds. The game is still running, but it’s almost like the tv is switching from/to game mode or something.

It’s happened on both my PS5 and Series X, weirdly on the series x, it restarts my soundbar, which is connected by optical cable to the OneConnect box.

Is this likely to be a ‘handshake issue’? Or a fault with the TV / One Connect?

Samsung used remote assistance to take control of the tv and ‘reset’ the hdmi ports. It’s yet to do it since, but that’s only a few hours. Potentially fixed?

Anyone else had this? Does resetting the ports tend to fix it? Is it more likely a software thing than a hardware fault?

Many thanks in advance

My 4 year old Samsung tv does the same thing when I use my PS4 pro, I looked it up and it was a common problem.
So maybe they have never bothered fixing the issue.

My 4 year old Samsung tv does the same thing when I use my PS4 pro, I looked it up and it was a common problem.
So maybe they have never bothered fixing the issue.
Yeah, it seems that way from having a read. Xbox Series X has done it once too, which is less common :/

Its most likely HDMI handshake issues, but could be hardware. Think yourself lucky yours works at all. This is my Samsung QN90A fresh out of the box today.
neoqled.jpg

So...

I’m now on my third QN95a. All three have had this issue and there is a post on the Samsung forums where a fair few people are having the same issue. This leads me to believe it’s not a hardware problem, but something in settings/software.

this is consistent with both ps5 and series x.

firstly, does anyone have the QN95A and have been gaming without and of the screen dropouts?

secondly. Any possible ideas for a fix? I’ve tried absolutely everything logical on the tv, new hdmi ports/cables/factory reset etc etc.

things like changing the consoles to 10bit seem to be suggested a lot and I’ve tried all possibilities without any joy

the one thing that seems to be suggested a lot, Is changing the console settings to disable things like 4K/hdr etc. Which, on a 2021 flagship tv at £2,300 seems absolutely mad...what else did I buy the tv for!

any other suggestions? At this point I’m tearing my hair out. Samsung support is useless, and getting a replacement is also seemingly pointless as the issue seems to be on all of them. I love the tv otherwise.

surely there is a fix somehow?

hey

I have the same problem. I have already sent a TV back and the second TV has the same problem. in the German "Hifi Forum" and in the "Samsung Forum" many people also have this problem. The complaints keep increasing. Nevertheless, there should also be people who have a QN95A and no interruptions at all. I don't understand it anymore

hey

I have the same problem. I have already sent a TV back and the second TV has the same problem. in the German "Hifi Forum" and in the "Samsung Forum" many people also have this problem. The complaints keep increasing. Nevertheless, there should also be people who have a QN95A and no interruptions at all. I don't understand it anymore
That just simply can’t be hardware, it’s just too many people(?)

As you say, there are a huge amount who are not complaining; but I’d bet a lot of people just see the error and think nothing of it and continue playing.

im not speaking too soon, but this morning I changed the video transfer rate on PS5 and series X. ‘-2’ on Ps5 and ‘VCC 4:2:2k’ on Xbox enabled.

no black cutoffs in about 2 hours (an hour each console to test). And no discernible image quality change.

do you want to give that a go and see if you have any joy?

As you say, there are a huge amount who are not complaining; but I’d bet a lot of people just see the error and think nothing of it and continue playing.

im not speaking too soon, but this morning I changed the video transfer rate on PS5 and series X. ‘-2’ on Ps5 and ‘VCC 4:2:2k’ on Xbox enabled.

no black cutoffs in about 2 hours (an hour each console to test). And no discernible image quality change.

You have reduced the amount of data. It could be that the problem is solved or that the dropouts are further delayed.

That can't be the solution. Even if you don't see a direct difference in the picture, it is a quality loss that is not acceptable.

You have reduced the amount of data. It could be that the problem is solved or that the dropouts are further delayed.

That can't be the solution. Even if you don't see a direct difference in the picture, it is a quality loss that is not acceptable.
Totally agree. It’s not acceptable for a tv of this price (or any price for that matter). But like I say, it’s really, really not noticeable and I am very keen eyed. Is it definitely a quality loss?

I wonder if this is something a firmware update will fix?

It is definitely a quality loss.

With this configuration you have more Bad visible color steps in the sky of video games - for example

I noticed that especially with Resident Evil or Forza Horizon

Of course, I don't know if Samsung can fix it with an update. There are supposedly people who have no problem with this model. I think maybe these people haven't tested long enough or are still blaming the HDMI cables.

I don’t speak German, but I translated a lot of it earlier.

the op suggests the issue came on with the firmware update 1057. If the problem were brought on by an issue in the update, surely that could be rectified by another update?

im on Forza horizon and I keep switching YCC 4:2:2 on and off in the same frame, and examining in detail - I’m not disputing that it’s limiting the data, but I genuinely see no difference whatsoever

You need to call Samsung and say that you have this issue. Its a Hardware Problem. They know this Problem. I got a call from Samsung Support a few moments ago. They want to know your SN Number from the TV .

I’ve called them. They’ve offered to have a technician come out. Inevitably I’d be offered a replacement.

surely between the two of us, we can’t have had 5 faulty units and 0 working ones?

Samsung has only known about the problem for a few days and has probably found the problem. The employee on the phone said: "It is a quality problem where an adhesive strip in the OCB has not been properly glued. Any strip that should conduct electricity. I didn't quite understand it either, but that would explain why not everyone has the problem.

Samsung has only known about the problem for a few days and has probably found the problem. The employee on the phone said: "It is a quality problem where an adhesive strip in the OCB has not been properly glued. Any strip that should conduct electricity. I didn't quite understand it either, but that would explain why not everyone has the problem.
So it’s going to need a replacement, again?! There must be about 100 people with this issue - that’s an enormous amount of replacements

Okay, so now the tv has just randomly deleted all my apps.
What a load of junk this thing is.

All you did there was drop the quality. Read what transfer rate -2 etc actually do. At this price you are paying for the best quality and shouldn't have to drop it to levels of older TV's. You bought this TV to have the latest modern picture quality and features, right?

All you did there was drop the quality. Read what transfer rate -2 etc actually do. At this price you are paying for the best quality and shouldn't have to drop it to levels of older TV's. You bought this TV to have the latest modern picture quality and features, right?
Absolutely! My last tv had none of these blackouts on either console (though was nowhere near the picture quality). The frustrating thing, is that I love the TV! The picture is phenomenal, beautiful clean screen uniformity, love everything about it.

I’m not sure what the fix is. I’ve had 3 now and the above user has had two, there are dozens of people in the post above complaining about the issue. I’m absolutely certain if I got another replacement, it would have the same problem.

the Op in the link above mentioned it started with the latest firmware - is it likely it is a firmware thing that could be corrected?

any other things I can try? I’m tearing my hair out over this - I just want to enjoy my tv

Hi all,

Just to let you know its not the TV that's the issue, its the consoles. They need further updates in order for them to not have the drop outs. Aka stability and performance updates.

However since turning on HDMI signal plus within the TV settings the issue seems to have gone away, for now.

Had this issue on my previous tele so it's not the TVs.

Hi all,

Just to let you know its not the TV that's the issue, its the consoles. They need further updates in order for them to not have the drop outs. Aka stability and performance updates.

However since turning on HDMI signal plus within the TV settings the issue seems to have gone away, for now.

Had this issue on my previous tele so it's not the TVs.
It can be either end

Have had an Xbox series X since day one.

It would black screen on occasions with my q85r with 4k/120. Had to either switch the TV on and off or blindly get back to the Xbox home screen and then switch back to the game.

Samsung issued a firmware update a few weeks later and it hasn't done it since :thumbsup:

That's great to hear on the update fixing it, from having read around I believe on Reddit it was being said that the issue was more prominent amongst some Samsung TVs.

However looking deeper into it appears as already stated a handshake issue between the 2 devices, console and TV.

Neither are faulty just need software updates.

This issue has not had an update for the latest QN95A. There are about 50/60people on other forums having the issue and it’s impossible to find anyone with a tv without the issue.

the issue is ANY hdmi source. Sky box, fire stick, Apple TV, blu ray etc. It’s definitely NOT the consoles. It’s a fault with the tv (hardware or software) and it’s really not acceptable on a £2,200 product :/

I’m on my third unit, same issue on them all :(

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom