QN95a 55” screen cutting out in games (ps5 and series x)

That's great to hear on the update fixing it, from having read around I believe on Reddit it was being said that the issue was more prominent amongst some Samsung TVs.

However looking deeper into it appears as already stated a handshake issue between the 2 devices, console and TV.

Neither are faulty just need software updates.
Just wondering. Have you experienced any of the screen drops at all? :)

this is happening on my new qn95a 65 inch too
its not just happening on my ps5 but my nvidia shield too
switching off input signal plus seems to solve it but not happy about that so the tv is going back for a refund
going for the sony a90j instead
really annoyed about this though

Just an update bought new hdmi cables shorter ones and getting eARC to work is still an issue but even moreso with these new cables.

Definitely a handshake issue somewhere, not good as I really want eARC.

I really wanted to purchase this model. But I’ve realised now before I buy a tv I should look for different opinions and problems. I have a Sonos arc I’ll be hooking up via e-arc but I’m guessing there’s issues there? I also have a PS5 and Xbox series X and I’m guessing there are issues there too? I hope you don’t mind me asking, but I would like to know of any issues before I drop this sort of money. Cheers

I really wanted to purchase this model. But I’ve realised now before I buy a tv I should look for different opinions and problems. I have a Sonos arc I’ll be hooking up via e-arc but I’m guessing there’s issues there? I also have a PS5 and Xbox series X and I’m guessing there are issues there too? I hope you don’t mind me asking, but I would like to know of any issues before I drop this sort of money. Cheers
Hiya,

As far as the TV goes it's an incredible set, don't be put off.

Thing is with any technology you buy there is never a guarantee that you'll get a perfect one.

However, technology has come a long way, I can say that all the clouding issues on older models from way back do not plague this TV.

I remember having changed several Samsung tvs in the past due to clouding and leds poking through the edges.

Image quality and performance on this QN95A is absolutely hands down incredible.

If you're using ARC it works, the eARC issue could very well be the Q70T soundbar as I've now seen others on another forum mention this issue from way back.

I'm not too sure how much actual difference eARC is vs ARC but Dolby Atmos IS enabled and as far as I can tell its still sending eARC signal based audio with all the options available such as passthrough, PCM and Auto.

I definitely am getting Q Symphony as well and the audio truly is incredible and does honestly feel like 3D surround sound very cinematic.

So far I have had absolutely no issues with the TV itself or the image quality.

My advice, buy it.

Hiya,

As far as the TV goes it's an incredible set, don't be put off.

Thing is with any technology you buy there is never a guarantee that you'll get a perfect one.

However, technology has come a long way, I can say that all the clouding issues on older models from way back do not plague this TV.

I remember having changed several Samsung tvs in the past due to clouding and leds poking through the edges.

Image quality and performance on this QN95A is absolutely hands down incredible.

If you're using ARC it works, the eARC issue could very well be the Q70T soundbar as I've now seen others on another forum mention this issue from way back.

I'm not too sure how much actual difference eARC is vs ARC but Dolby Atmos IS enabled and as far as I can tell its still sending eARC signal based audio with all the options available such as passthrough, PCM and Auto.

I definitely am getting Q Symphony as well and the audio truly is incredible and does honestly feel like 3D surround sound very cinematic.

So far I have had absolutely no issues with the TV itself or the image quality.

My advice, buy it.
Thank you very much. That’s very detailed and helpful. Do you use a PlayStation or Xbox at all? Would be keen to know about 4K 120 VRR etc and if there’s dropouts or flicker. I currently own a LG CX, been having so many issues with it, more than I ever had with my Sony before it and I’m fed up of it. E-arc is useless on it and doesn’t like LPCM at all, VRR flicker annoys me and I get a lot of colour banding as well as panel issues so the retailer are keen to help and I was looking at this one.

Super Saiyan, are you still getting the ps5 dropouts? Did the new hdmi cables do anything?

DjBullard: my 2 cents. The tv is phenomenal, as far as picture quality - it really is quite something.

however, I’m on my third one and the problem of dropouts persists. I’m on a couple of other forums where a total of 60+ people are having the same issue, many with also multiple replaced sets. We’ve been trying to find anyone who hasn’t had the problem- but all we’ve found is a few people saying it’s the issue of the consoles.

it very much looks like these issues are apparent on every unit.

Hopefully, and IMO most likely, it’s a software issue. This might get fixed with an update, but Samsung are historically not great at this. Their customer support is also awful.

it’s an astonishing TV set, but it’s plagued with issues. These might just be ‘handshake’ problems, but nevertheless my last tv didn’t suffer from this.

Super Saiyan, are you still getting the ps5 dropouts? Did the new hdmi cables do anything?

DjBullard: my 2 cents. The tv is phenomenal, as far as picture quality - it really is quite something.

however, I’m on my third one and the problem of dropouts persists. I’m on a couple of other forums where a total of 60+ people are having the same issue, many with also multiple replaced sets. We’ve been trying to find anyone who hasn’t had the problem- but all we’ve found is a few people saying it’s the issue of the consoles.

Hopefully, and IMO most likely, it’s a software issue. This might get fixed with an update, but Samsung are historically not great at this. Their customer support is also awful.

it’s an astonishing TV set, but it’s plagued with issues. These might just be ‘handshake’ problems, but nevertheless my last tv didn’t suffer from this.
Thank you for your response. I have seen a few people with these issues on forums. I’m keeping an eye to see if it changes. Trouble is the retailer are keen next week to do something and this is my top pick but now I’m worried lol

Thank you for your response. I have seen a few people with these issues on forums. I’m keeping an eye to see if it changes. Trouble is the retailer are keen next week to do something and this is my top pick but now I’m worried lol
Mind if I ask what the issues are on the LGCX?

it’s worth noting, all the issues I’m having are HDMI related. So the tv works great with all built in apps.

apparently the Q90T does not suffer with dropouts, but it’s a lesser tv.

Thank you very much. That’s very detailed and helpful. Do you use a PlayStation or Xbox at all? Would be keen to know about 4K 120 VRR etc and if there’s dropouts or flicker. I currently own a LG CX, been having so many issues with it, more than I ever had with my Sony before it and I’m fed up of it. E-arc is useless on it and doesn’t like LPCM at all, VRR flicker annoys me and I get a lot of colour banding as well as panel issues so the retailer are keen to help and I was looking at this one.
Hi,

In GAME Mode you get a LOT of options, VRR I believe only works with a PC as the option is greyed out.

But it does give you lots of options like reduce judder, blurring and led motion (led motion causes a weird shimmer effect so leave it off).

I can confirm 4K HDR 120fps works flawlessly! I played Devil May Cry on PS5 on the max settings and was incredibly fast!

I've had minimal drop outs, as in like once on a few hours for around 2 secs on 1 occasion so far.
Previous tv kept doing it which was an older Samsung tv.

But to put it into perspective I've recently played Days Gone even got the Platinum with 0 drop outs.
Outriders PS5 0 drop outs.

The only drop outs I did have was when trying to enable eARC that caused problems.

Regular ARC works and been able to watch blu ray movies on PS5 fully with no drop outs of any kind.

No artifacts, no distortions, no light or colour bleed, no ghosting, no banding and no flicker.

Mind if I ask what the issues are on the LGCX?

it’s worth noting, all the issues I’m having are HDMI related. So the tv works great with all built in apps.

apparently the Q90T does not suffer with dropouts, but it’s a lesser tv.
I looked at the Q90T before the CX but the only one Hdmi 2.1 port put me off as I have both consoles.
I have a feeling these 2.1 ports are to blame for a lot of issues as with the CX and there e-arc issues, banding, dimming and panel issues.

Hi,

In GAME Mode you get a LOT of options, VRR I believe only works with a PC as the option is greyed out.

But it does give you lots of options like reduce judder, blurring and led motion (led motion causes a weird shimmer effect so leave it off).

I can confirm 4K HDR 120fps works flawlessly! I played Devil May Cry on PS5 on the max settings and was incredibly fast!

I've had minimal drop outs, as in like once on a few hours for around 2 secs on 1 occasion so far.
Previous tv kept doing it which was an older Samsung tv.

But to put it into perspective I've recently played Days Gone even got the Platinum with 0 drop outs.
Outriders PS5 0 drop outs.

The only drop outs I did have was when trying to enable eARC that caused problems.

Regular ARC works and been able to watch blu ray movies on PS5 fully with no drop outs of any kind.

No artifacts, no distortions, no light or colour bleed, no ghosting, no banding and no flicker.
Excellent. I do love Days Gone. I wouldn’t mind once in a while if the tv is excellent

The new hdmi cables didn't do anything to resolve the eARC issue with my Samsung Q70T soundbar, it appears its an issue with the soundbar itself.

ARC works fully with Dolby Atmos enabled.

The new hdmi cables didn't do anything to resolve the eARC issue with my Samsung Q70T soundbar, it appears its an issue with the soundbar itself.

What cables are you using with the PS5? The included ones?

What cables are you using with the PS5? The included ones?

Sorry to bombard you with questions; but what HDMi port is the ps5 in? And what hdmi transfer rate have you got ps5 set to?

final questions :D

Sorry to bombard you with questions; but what HDMi port is the ps5 in? And what hdmi transfer rate have you got ps5 set to?

final questions :D
Hi,

Just bought the uGreen ones on amazon hdmi 2.1 cables.

I don't think there's an option for hdmi transfer rate in the PS5 that I have seen.

However in the TV settings you can expand the HDMI signal by selecting the available hdmi ports. This should resolve the issue.

Not using the supplied cables with the PS5 just an FYI.

Another quick question if you guys don’t mind. How are peoples experiences with e-arc? I’ve seen some people saying last years qleds had a lot of issues with multichannel LPCM pass through, the LG CX has intermittent issues with strange EDID signals too. So I was just wondering if I’d be going from one problem to another. Thanks

Hi,

Just bought the uGreen ones on amazon hdmi 2.1 cables.

I don't think there's an option for hdmi transfer rate in the PS5 that I have seen.

However in the TV settings you can expand the HDMI signal by selecting the available hdmi ports. This should resolve the issue.

Not using the supplied cables with the PS5 just an FYI.
Do you mean ‘input signal plus’? For me, this is greyed out, but selected as blue. Ie, it’s on, but couldn’t be turned off :/

the transfer rate is in the ps5 menu, you can change to -1, -2 or auto

Do you mean ‘input signal plus’? For me, this is greyed out, but selected as blue. Ie, it’s on, but couldn’t be turned off :/

the transfer rate is in the ps5 menu, you can change to -1, -2 or auto
Emm that's odd, the HDMI ports that are active should allow you to change it to input plus.

The transfer rate I'm sure that's a blu ray thing?

However here's another update:

I went back to using my previous gold plated hdmi 2.1 cables on the PS5 and soundbar but I changed 1 thing which could be the culprit...

The Nintendo Switch HDMI cable was the one that came with the console, I swapped this out for an actual 2.1 cable.

Here's where it gets weird, if I turn on the TV and PS5 at the same time it goes back to TV Speaker only.

I also changed another setting in the PS5 that I think was causing the audio and screen drop outs, in audio settings change bitrate to DOLBY.
Make sure audio device is set as AV RECIEVER not soundbar.

Now when I turn the TV on then wait until its all active THEN turn the PS5 on it works 100% no drop outs at all!

I've gone an entire day with eARC enabled, ZERO drop outs of any kind.

Both gaming and watching movies.

Emm that's odd, the HDMI ports that are active should allow you to change it to input plus.

The transfer rate I'm sure that's a blu ray thing?

However here's another update:

I went back to using my previous gold plated hdmi 2.1 cables on the PS5 and soundbar but I changed 1 thing which could be the culprit...

The Nintendo Switch HDMI cable was the one that came with the console, I swapped this out for an actual 2.1 cable.

Here's where it gets weird, if I turn on the TV and PS5 at the same time it goes back to TV Speaker only.

I also changed another setting in the PS5 that I think was causing the audio and screen drop outs, in audio settings change bitrate to DOLBY.
Make sure audio device is set as AV RECIEVER not soundbar.

Now when I turn the TV on then wait until its all active THEN turn the PS5 on it works 100% no drop outs at all!

I've gone an entire day with eARC enabled, ZERO drop outs of any kind.

Both gaming and watching movies.

Game mode requires input signal plus to be on. If game mode is enabled either automatically or by manually turning it on, input signal plus on that hdmi source will be on but greyed out so the user can't turn if off. Turning game mode off will re-enable manual control over input signal plus on that hdmi source

Transfer rate is a setting on the PS5.
My understanding is that
Auto will try and use up to and including RGB/4:4:4
-1 forces yuv4:2:2
-2 forces yuv4:2:0

So it can be used to diagnose stability/compatibility issues :thumbsup:

Game mode requires input signal plus to be on. If game mode is enabled either automatically or by manually turning it on, input signal plus on that hdmi source will be on but greyed out so the user can't turn if off. Turning game mode off will re-enable manual control over input signal plus on that hdmi source

Transfer rate is a setting on the PS5.
My understanding is that
Auto will try and use up to and including RGB/4:4:4
-1 forces yuv4:2:2
-2 forces yuv4:2:0

So it can be used to diagnose stability/compatibility issues :thumbsup:
Jay, that’s super helpful mate, thank you.

what is the drawback of -1 and -2?
Thanks

Jay, that’s super helpful mate, thank you.

what is the drawback of -1 and -2?
Thanks
From what I could find over at Reddit is -1 is HDMI 2.0b and -2 is HDMI 1.4 as in it forces it to use the older formats if you get flicking issues on the screen.

I haven't had that so left it as it is so far day 2 and no issues so far :) could have been the Nintendo Switch supplied HDMI cable was causing issues since its an older format cable.

From what I could find over at Reddit is -1 is HDMI 2.0b and -2 is HDMI 1.4 as in it forces it to use the older formats if you get flicking issues on the screen.

I haven't had that so left it as it is so far day 2 and no issues so far :) could have been the Nintendo Switch supplied HDMI cable was causing issues since its an older format cable.
Great to hear it’s looking like a potential fix! Do keep us updated 👍🏼

Great to hear it’s looking like a potential fix! Do keep us updated 👍🏼
Well I am happy to say day 3 and ZERO issues using eARC!!

What I am doing is turn the TV and soundbar on first then wait until the TV is fully loaded up takes like 5secs or so then turn the PS5 on and flawless!

I've had no drop outs of any kind and eARC fully working!

I'm starting to think the Nintendo Switch HDMI cable was the culprit lol. Also in the PS5 settings I've got it set to as follows:

HDMI Device type: AV Amplifier
Audio format: Dolby

Well I am happy to say day 3 and ZERO issues using eARC!!

What I am doing is turn the TV and soundbar on first then wait until the TV is fully loaded up takes like 5secs or so then turn the PS5 on and flawless!

I've had no drop outs of any kind and eARC fully working!

I'm starting to think the Nintendo Switch HDMI cable was the culprit lol. Also in the PS5 settings I've got it set to as follows:

HDMI Device type: AV Amplifier
Audio format: Dolby
The switch only outputs in multichannel LPCM so that’s why there are issues whereas changing the PS5 to Dolby technically isn’t as good as LPCM but at least you have the option.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom