QN90A or OLED? Please help me decide.

Paradise19

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been offered a 75 inch Samsung QN90A for $800 less it's current price in Canada. The only thing holding me back is it only has 1 HDMI 2.1 port, possible DSE and banding. I would like to get an OLED but am afraid I will get burn in. Would you take the discounted QN90A? I will be gaming a lot and watching lots of movies. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I went from Q90R to LG G1,new EVO panel should be more resisstant to burn in.

TV prices are currently elevated. What's the total price you are going to pay?
Usually they elevate prices so it can make deals like this look good, when in fact the TVs are just overpriced to begin with.

Geoffrey Morrison headshot
David Katzmaier headshot
Geoffrey Morrison, David Katzmaier
"if the fear of the mere possibility of burn-in is your primary concern, the decision is simple: buy an LCD-based display instead."

Most people come to their conclusion about the severity of OLED Burn In based on these factors.
  1. Testing done by rtings.com on 2017 OLED TVs,
  2. The dialog that was started in 2015 and continues until this day about “experts” either saying it is a problem or that it isn’t a problem.
  3. Reports’ of 2017 and older TVs experiencing burn in? Almost all of the reports of burn in are on 2017 and older TVs.
  4. Personally experienced burn in on a 2017 or older OLED
  5. Various conspiracy theories. LG doesn’t provide a 10 year OLED Burn In warranty because they know OLED BURN IN is a real problem. The manufacturers, retailers, and professional reviewers are working together to mislead the public, otherwise they would report how widespread OLED burn in is.
  6. The lack of reports of 2018 and newer OLEDs experiencing burn. This includes all manufactures of OLED TVs. All of the manufacturers use OLED supplied panels.
  7. Burn in hasn’t happened yet on 2018 and newer OLED TVs, but give it time and it will happen.
  8. Assumption that the manufacturing quality improved to a six sigma level. No more panel lottery. This is based on the fact that many Owners of 2017 OLED TVs used there TVs in the same manner and the vast majority of OLED owners never saw a hint of OLED BURN IN. On a rare occasion owners of 2017 and older OLEDs would experience permanent burn in. This suggests a panel lottery do to defects in the manufacturing process.
    The manufacturing quality was greatly improved in 2018 based on the fact that reports of OLED BURN IN on 2018 and newer TVs are extremely hard to find.
  9. All of these manufacturers use different software but the same hardware (LG supplied OLED panels). Because there are practically zero reports of OLED Burn In for all manufacturers using 2018 and newer OLED supplied panels the drastic improvement may have more to do with the hardware (LG supplied OLED panels) than software.
  10. Engineering (pixel size -aperture ratio} and better heat sinks. Less heat generated and better ways or dissipating the heat that is generated. The pixel size has a huge effect, since the improvement is exponentially related; H = I2Rt.
  11. Different isotopes and additives for pixel material. Pixels more durable.
  12. Software improvements. Pixel refresh, logo luminence
  13. There have been over 15 million OLED TVs sold since 2018. The reports of OLED BURN IN are practically zero for 2018 and newer OLED TVs. You would have a hard time finding 5 reports. That is 1 TV for every 3 million TVs sold.

You now have the 13 points to ponder. Analyze the points yourself and come to your own conclusion.

Last edited:
TV prices are currently elevated. What's the total price you are going to pay?
Usually they elevate prices so it can make deals like this look good, when in fact the TVs are just overpriced to begin with.
$4100 CAD with tax. What do you think?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom