QN65Q900RB bt.2020 vs bt.709 Color Space

qwaven

Standard Member
Hi there,

Wondering if anyone is able to offer some help with what I should be setting on the TV QN65Q900RB which is technically 8K capable supporting HDR10/HDR10+.

My issue is that I noticed the other day when looking at the video output statistics during a 4k physical media playback that the input video is reported by the bluray player as bt.2020 HDR 4k etc. It all looks great there for the input. However the player (Panasonic UHD 420) says its only outputting the video as 4k HDR bt.709. So unless I am missing something it seems the player is actively down converting the color profile?

I tried contacting Panasonic and they didnt seem to think that was good but as of yet I have not got any useful help. It actually seems they have now stopped replying to my support case.

I tried contacting Samsung and they told me its up to the source to decide. Which I am not sure was completely accurate either.

I also recalled that I turned Input Signal Plus off on the HDMI port connected to my bluray player. (why because I couldnt get HDR10+ working)

So as it stands the following is how things are working:

1. Playing a movie with HDR10+ and the TV input signal plus OFF I will get bt.2020 color profile.
2. Playing a movie with HDR10 and the TV input signal plus OFF I will get bt.709 color profile.
3. Playing a movie with HDR10+ and the TV input signal plus ON I will no longer get HDR10+ (but the player will say it is??) on the TV is says its just HDR.
4. Playing a movie with HDR10 and the TV input signal plus ON I will see the bt.2020 being input and output normally.

So anyone able to shed some light here on what is going on? Any idea what I should be setting re input signal plus? Or checking something else maybe?

Thoughts?

Cheers!

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom