QLED?

bobbymax

Prominent Member
Reaction score
OK, I have read that QLED is basically LED with added pixels..Right?
But I'd like to hear what the experts here think please?
Feel free to praise or slate it :D

QLED is more a range name then a display type.

If it refers to a specific technology that's backlight units which use a combination of blue LEDs and a quantum dot enhancement filter (QDEF) to achieve their output instead of more traditional methods like coating the LEDs in different phosphors.

They can produce a wider colour gamut (e.g. for HDR content) but the colours filters on the opposite side of the screen are currently a big limiting factor there.

It's obviously only applicable to display types that use a backlight, which is primarily LCD.

It has nothing to do with other aspects of the display like the pixels.

QDEF is a decent technology and technically produces the best colour gamuts without the variable ageing issues RGB LEDs suffer from but they've never really been a huge leap over the alternatives.

Various other uses for quantum dots are in development that are likely to have a bigger impact, such as quantum dot colour filters/converters.

Excellently explained, thank you.

So for me... wanting a new Smart 4K TV would this be more beneficial than the standard LED?

Excellently explained, thank you.

So for me... wanting a new Smart 4K TV would this be more beneficial than the standard LED?

There's no such thing as standard LED when it comes to wide gamut backlights. There's innovation and refinements being introduced in both approaches.

If it matters to you - they're only used by HDR video - then you'd want to compare the end result of the TV's colour gamut. It depends on not just the backlight but other layers too such as the colour filters.

I see, Thanks again EndlessWaves.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom