Question QLED Q900R or Q90R?

Adam M

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

After much deliberation I’ve decided that a QLED is right for me. It needs to be (at least) 75” for the room so I’m looking at the Q90R for £5000. Viewing is on a u-shaped sofa no more than 4m from the screen and 4m wide. Side seats will obviously be closer than 4m but not often occupied. Off angle viewing of new model therefore useful but not essential.

Room is north west facing so gets light in late afternoon but has masses of windows so brightness is relevant.

Last years 8K Q900R is only £5200, and is due a free upgrade to hdmi 2.1. Most viewing will be 720p/1080p, some SD and of course some 4K.

Sound is irrelevant due to Sonos playbar.

So question is this years 4K 90R or last years 8K 900R?

House not built yet so can wait a month or two if relevant to pricing (would consider 82/85" offerings if discounts to be had).

Thanks in advance.

You'all probably find the Q90r a better bet as it has better blacks and a wider viewing angle.

My is suggestion that Go with Q900R as what I did. Hdmi 2.1 and SD, HD to 8k Upscaling is incredible at 75 inch. Q90 will never get hdmi 2.1 n 8k, at least Q900 is future-proof Tv. It’s upscaling will blown your mind away. I have seen Q90 blacks I cloud not find much difference. Yes Wide angle slightly better. But it’s only 4k tv not the 8K. You will be sorted with Q900R for upcoming years once 8k content will be out.

I could consider buying the 950 but I’m really pushing it financially.

I’ve read that there have been firmware updates with marked improvements in picture each time- any truth in this?

My concern is sitting so far away that even 4K won’t be resolvable never mind 8K.

I remember the first 1080p pioneer flagship screen. It was insanely expensive at the time and aimed squarely at early adopters but as 1080p material became available it was quickly superseded by even the “normal” kuros.

I’m concerned I should be learning from the past.

It comes down to whether the picture is going to be noticeably better during 95% of the viewing.

I had the same dilemma and ruled out last years 8k (even at a cracking price).
I'm just holding out on some actual reviews on the Q90R before proceeding.
I'm also going 75'' Q90R, but I have a larger viewing distance than you of 5m.
For me that was a factor in not going for Q900R as by my understanding you need to be much closer to be able to appreciate the upscaling.
It's for my living room tv, and if I was to say 82'' to my wife she would have a fit!
A retailer has suggested to me Samsung will announce some easter bank holiday weekend promotions on 2019 tv's, I'm guessing cashback or a phone thrown in...
So that will help make my decision next week.
Also if buying directly they have the 2 year upgrade programme.

Upgrade programme is a good idea but I’m buying through my business so not sure it can work.

Didn’t know about promotions so will hold fire on that one - thank you.

There’s an 85” 900 on eBay at the mo for 8k trying to resist. Struggling to buy a tv for the same price as a small car. Especially when there’s no 8K material. I really want it for the upscaling engine but it looks like the 90 has that anyway.

My wife went nuts when I swapped the 43 for an 50” kuro when we last moved house. Was trying to get distance on it by pushing herself back in the chair.

Now she’s the one pushing for 85 over 75 and I have no idea what’s changed!

Now she’s the one pushing for 85 over 75 and I have no idea what’s changed!
Her eye prescription?!

The 950R are supposed to have the benefit of a 4K and 8K processor in chain to enhance the upscaling.

But £7000.

Had I not had to pay for the house to put it in, I’d jump at it.

But £7000.

Had I not had to pay for the house to put it in, I’d jump at it.
If you look at Matson's posts you'll see he had the 900R for a few months, was happy with it but went for the LG 77" C8 in the end and favours its picture - and being 2K cheaper..

I think there’s too much sunlight, (including direct sunlight) in the room to risk an OLED screen.

Not to mention primarily being operated by people with no screen care awareness.

As mentioned I had last years Q900R for about 3 months. It was a beautiful TV. Deep blacks. Great picture. Viewing angles wern't great though but if your watching straight on that wouldn't be an issue. The 2019 Q950 also sounds like it may sacrifice some contrast for the new filter/viewing angle tech so the 2018 Q900 may still look better when sitting in the sweet spot with regards to picture quality. In the end I sent my 2018 Q900 back purely because the Q950 was getting released so soon but after reading the Rtings review and some of the user feedback it sounded to me like it had regressed in a few ways compared to the Q900 from 2018.

In the end I just went with a 77C8 as it was £4999 and honestly apart from brightness a better picture in most aspecs over the Q900. While the Q900 looked great for an LCD it looked a little more washed out in comparison to the C8. Plus the main thing for me it that its a stable picture. No backlight issues and dimming issues which would occasionally pop up on the QLED's.

Well I went to the house today and without question there is a direct sunlight situation which will only get worse later in the year.

OLED is simply too risky for me. Plus Samsung is considered the king of the anti reflective screen.

I think I have the right brand, it’s just a question of model.

Is there a price available on the 82Q90 yet?

I would go for the Q90R. It will be quite a long time before the 4K technology has the main share of mainstream viewing. Heck, broadcasters still havent fully caught up with 1080p, nevermind anythign else. Like others have said, paying the same money for a TV as you would for a small car makes no sense, especially when you are likely to use barely half of its full potential.

900R is dead to me currently!

I’m looking at 950 or 90 now!

Buying through a business so it’s really costing me under 50% of retail.

Currently looking at £6500 vs £4500.

I know there’s little 8K material but the upscaling ability is fantastic. Just concerned that I’m too far to see it despite my bionic eyes (internally implanted contact lenses).

As mentioned I had last years Q900R for about 3 months. It was a beautiful TV. Deep blacks. Great picture. Viewing angles wern't great though but if your watching straight on that wouldn't be an issue. The 2019 Q950 also sounds like it may sacrifice some contrast for the new filter/viewing angle tech so the 2018 Q900 may still look better when sitting in the sweet spot with regards to picture quality. In the end I sent my 2018 Q900 back purely because the Q950 was getting released so soon but after reading the Rtings review and some of the user feedback it sounded to me like it had regressed in a few ways compared to the Q900 from 2018.

In the end I just went with a 77C8 as it was £4999 and honestly apart from brightness a better picture in most aspecs over the Q900. While the Q900 looked great for an LCD it looked a little more washed out in comparison to the C8. Plus the main thing for me it that its a stable picture. No backlight issues and dimming issues which would occasionally pop up on the QLED's.
How do you find the upscaling mate?

Screenshot_20190413-212142_YouTube.jpg

Q60r

I need to revise my original question.

Now that they are the same price and considering that wide angle viewing isn't necessary at this size, QE85Q900R or QE82Q950R?

Also, does the currys off the shelf five year warranty give me the same opotion to return of the panel lottery goes against me?

I need to revise my original question.

Now that they are the same price and considering that wide angle viewing isn't necessary at this size, QE85Q900R or QE82Q950R?

Also, does the currys off the shelf five year warranty give me the same opotion to return of the panel lottery goes against me?

Personally I just ordered the QE85Q900R. I also have no need for the viewing angle tech and I went with the Q900 over OLED/Q950R due to size, brightness and reports that the black levels should be deeper on the 2018 model without the viewing angle layer. TBH, I think we are very deep in diminishing return territory here and you would probably get a good result with either set. The native contrast is offset on the Q950R by local dimming, probably to a large degree, but since the price is so similar and I honestly have no need for wide viewing I prefer to go with the larger set and higher native contrast.

Personally I just ordered the QE85Q900R. I also have no need for the viewing angle tech and I went with the Q900 over OLED/Q950R due to size, brightness and reports that the black levels should be deeper on the 2018 model without the viewing angle layer. TBH, I think we are very deep in diminishing return territory here and you would probably get a good result with either set. The native contrast is offset on the Q950R by local dimming, probably to a large degree, but since the price is so similar and I honestly have no need for wide viewing I prefer to go with the larger set and higher native contrast.
You made smart choice, it has been almost two months I love my 75 Q900R tv so much. Colors brightness for HDR content will blown you away and 8k upscaling of HD content never look so sharp on 75 inch tv screen it’s just awesome, only I am concern about Samsung plans for free upgrade of one connect box for hdmi 2.1. It looks like it’s not happening soon.

I'm sure Samsung will honour that commitment.

I'm thinking myself that it does make sense to go for the 85.

Probaly should wait till end of year for new 8k ed model before buying since this is just the first and 8k begins next year with xbox 2

This is the first of two generations so far but the supply of them is short.

If the price drops any further I’ll be all over it but I’m really only considering it because of the size. They don’t do 85” any more.

Last edited:
Upgraded from Kuros 6090 to Q900R 75 inch and love it, Blacks are great, whites are great unless Poor SD content ( sub 720p) which introduces banding on large areas of white due to the upscaling no doubt. I wasn't even considering an upgrade but once the price dropped and console manufacturers confirmed 8 K on next gen the decision was easy

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom