Question Qled only - Sony xh950 for hdr 4k gaming

IanM94

Novice Member
Hey guys, I am looking to upgrade my panasonic dx750 which is 4 years old now. Looking for a qled TV which offers the best 4k hdr gaming experience, for around £1000. I understand oleds are better but burn in is not worth the risk. Need an upgrade capable of dolby vision, vrr, low input lag, also hdmi 2.1. The only qled which looks capable is the sony xh950. Or there's the argument that 2021 will bring tvs with vastly superior technology. If anyone could recommend an opinion or alternative it would be much appreciated 👍 thanks.

Dodgexander

QLED is marketing for LCD TVs that use quantum dots to display colours. It's not a new display technology or anything like OLED. An LCD TV without quantum dot technology like the Sony XH9505 is still a very good TV and holds its own compared to an LCD TV with quantum dot technology like the Samsung Q90T.

You'll see from my guide here that Samsung LCD TVs are best overall for gaming, but if you want to get more HDR for the money, both the Sony XH9505 and Hisense U8Q are good options. At the moment pricing in the UK makes the Sony XH9505 much better value than the Samsung models, despite being the poorer gaming TV.

IanM94

Novice Member
Thanks for your response. I understand the quantum dot tech is greater than standard led, in terms of wider colour gamut, but I'm still not sold on the samsung q90t. The q90t lacks dolby vision, isn't this a huge disadvantage when compared with the sony xh950? feels more like apples and oranges when comparing both tvs. I have viewed your guide and you say the cons of the samsung q90t are hdr mode causes tvs to be less accurate and also no dolby vision. The sony xh950 you say has more motion blur. Could you please elaborate why the samsung is the better option than sony. Thanks.

Dodgexander

The motion blur remark is just relative to OLEDs. OLEDs have no motion blur.
Quantum Dot isn't necessarily better with colours, its true it can provide a slight edge with displaying more colours than other tech, but being able to display more colours is only relevant for HDR, and doesn't mean a TV has more accurate or smoother colours. Long and short of it is there's much more to a TV than only what tech creates its colour, but its not a new display technology entirely like the likes of Samsung want you to believe.

Regarding the Samsung models being better gaming TVs than the Sony, its mentioned in the guide. They have a single HDMI 2.1 port so can support 4k+VRR+HDR+120hz input at the same time. With the Sony XH9505 it only has HDMI 2.0 and can only support 4k+HDR+60hz input at the same time.

The other thing that is good about the Samsung models is their motion in games. Not only do they support VRR, but they also allow you to use motion tweaks in game mode without adding any extra input lag.

The problem with current pricing in the UK is the Sony is priced very good, whilst the Samsung's are expensive. Makes it hard really to ignore the Sony XH9505 despite its shortfalls compared to the Samsung TVs for gaming. When you compare cost, it looks like the Q80T or Q85T are similar to the Sony overall, but aside from those gaming features you really want to aim for the Q90T for a comparable all round TV like the Sony XH9505.

What you could do is wait for the prices of the Samsung Q90T to come down, which it inevitably will. The Q90T Samsung and Sony XH9505 should be equal in price. Which makes the Samsung currently overpriced.

IanM94

Novice Member
Thanks for your insight. Your right, with more research i have found the Sony xh950 will not be receiving an update like the xh900 to allow 4k at 120, which is ridiculous. I agree that the Samsung q90t is the best option other than oled. I feel buying a TV at the end of 2020 would be regretful further down the line.

Dodgexander

If you feel it will be regretful because you are buying it close to 2021 I'd reconsider. The best time to buy is actually when 2020 TVs go in clearance as the new 2021 models come out. That is usually around spring to summer time. It's then that prices start to get really nice and you can get a lot more for your money.

TV pricing follows the same trend each year. TVs are released between spring and autumn and when they are released, they cost as much as 50% more than they are worth. The RRP of these TVs remains far too expensive and its not until Black Friday each year that these TVs even start to become decent value.

I think part of the problem is from the outside (marketing, trade shows etc) people sometimes believe that TVs are improved significantly year to year. That a mid range model in 2021 is going to be better than a high end one in 2020.That actually isn't the case at all, and often newer models are the same, or even worse than the models that they replace.

TVs are a bit like speakers, if you buy a higher end one it can be 10 years old and still best models that are bought in the mid range later.

So really buying a 2020 model at the end of 2020 isn't a bad idea at all. It's a much worse idea to put that money towards less of a TV in 2021 when they have only just been released. If you do want to wait for new models, for example you want a TV that has more HDMI 2.1 ports, or more choice of HDMI 2.1 TVs then you should wait, but expect to wait roughly a year, or longer if you don't want to end up with less TV for the money, or to shed out a bunch of cash for an overpriced model that has just been released! :)

kingcr33ch

I'm in a similar position, been waiting for a gaming set to pair with ps5 but from I've been reading it's not a good time as there are issues with the latest tech for gaming.

I'm now thinking of buying a cheaper decent HDR set to pair with the ps5 and then go all out gaming set once everything settlled. hisense u8q could be the one as good HDR (on dodges gaming list). I also have a similar aged/model Panasonic.

Last edited:

Dodgexander

I'm in a similar position, been waiting for a gaming set to pair with ps5 but from I've been reading it's not a good time as there are issues with the latest tech for gaming.

I'm now thinking of buying a cheaper decent HDR set to pair with the ps5 and then go all out gaming set once everything settlled. hisense u8q could be the one as good HDR (on dodges gaming list). I also have a similar aged/model Panasonic.
It has Dolby Vision, just lacks Dolby Atmos via eARC. Atmos will work okay using streaming services still.

IanM94

Novice Member
Honestly now with more research I'm going more towards oled particularly the lg cx range, with the lowest input lag, 4k at 120, vrr, dolby vision. John Lewis have a 5 year care plan which protects against screen burn, for around £140. More expensive option over qled, if your going for oled make sure you cover for screen burn which will be an eventuality.

Dodgexander

Whilst the advice to get insurance if you usage can put you at risk is good. It's certainly not an eventuality that burn in will appear. It depends on your usage.

IanM94

Novice Member
Hi, just wondering is 8k worth investing in now, with 55 inch 8k going for £1500-2000? Presumably Samsung qleds have greater quality than the LG nanocel led. Or is the LG 55cx 4k oled still the best option on the market right now? With 8k still fairly new are we looking at a few years before we all leap from 4k to 8k tvs for content and gaming? Thanks

IanM94

Novice Member
Hi just wanted to see if you have any calibration settings for the LG cx oled for 120 at 4k gaming. Also any tips to avoid screen burn in the long run would be hugely appreciated. Thanks.

Dodgexander

Hi just wanted to see if you have any calibration settings for the LG cx oled for 120 at 4k gaming. Also any tips to avoid screen burn in the long run would be hugely appreciated. Thanks.
Not personally no, but if you look at the rtings.com test they share their settings. You'll only want to copy the basic ones though, not the white balance.

To avoid screen burn be careful with the kind of content you watch on the TV. Content with bright colours such as news tickers, static brightly coloured huds or boxes on the TV. You can use the setting logo luminance adjustment to dim static elements too.

Last thing that will help is not using content that puts you at risk at high luminance levels.

Nofunbrad

Novice Member
Like many others I was looking to upgrade my 1080 tv to 4k due to getting a ps5 and after doing around a month of research I've settled on the X95H over the Samsung just due to the price (£850 for the 49 X95) and the fact that the PQ is better than the X90H.

Whilst I do understand the importance of 4k120fps realistically the only games that will be doing it are the CoDs and GT when that comes out. Mostly multiplayer games and while yes I do play multiplayer games I don't think 120 is essential on a console. We have only just gotten to a point in console gaming where we can do fixed 60fps on performance mode. Most games will be fixed 30fps with all the bells and whistles (racytracing etc) so while VRR and ALLM is also important I don't see the need to pay £200+ for these. When all my other TVs haven't had this feature.

Just my two cents

Shotgun Mick

The Q95T is actually a bit cheaper than the XH9505 now.
With that in mind do people think it's the better choice?

Last edited:

Dodgexander

XH9505 and Q95T are equal. Don't be fooled because there's a price drop on the Samsung that its a better TV. They should have been selling for a similar price since they were released. Samsung raised their prices imo to compare to OLED, not to Sony's XH9505 TV.

Shotgun Mick

XH9505 and Q95T are equal. Don't be fooled because there's a price drop on the Samsung that its a better TV. They should have been selling for a similar price since they were released. Samsung raised their prices imo to compare to OLED, not to Sony's XH9505 TV.
I don't think it's better. But if they're equal then the fact that the Q95T is £400 less is a good deciding factor.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

WarnerMedia and Discovery to merge under AT&T deal
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on UK streaming services for June 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Austrian Audio launches Hi-X65 headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Roku expands streaming content with Roku Originals