QI Not Totaly True?

Garrett

Reaction score
I know its manly for fun but they do twist the truth to fool the contestants into giving the obvious wrong answer or to make interesting facts up.

On repeat they asked name a lake in the Lake District which Windermere and Coniston Water were klaxoned for being the obvious but wrong answer. The answer was Bassenthwaite Lake because it was the only one with lake in its name. The reason being there are no lakes but Mere's, Waters or Tarns in the others names. This is totally splitting hairs, as Shakespeare said a rose by any other name would smell as sweet so is these Mere's and Waters still lakes.
Windermere - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Quote Windermere is the largest natural lake in England.

They also said Tibbels was soly resonsable for wiping a flightless speices of bird out on Stephensens Island, yet on South Pacific it siad Tibbels was not totally responsible for it albeit the main culprit.

They also caught someone else out with saying water froze at 0 degreze centigrade. But they said that was wrong and 0 was the tempriture ice melted. I spoke to a chemist and they said 0 was the temprature water was in flux, +1 and ice melted -1 and water froze. And yet on a program on snow it showed that water can get a lot lower something like -22 before freezing and its only coming into contact with a contamanant like dust or even bacteria causes it to crystaliz round 0 degreez.

Stephen fry even got into an argument with Rory Grath over the latin name of a Jackdaw and I looked it up and it apperes Rory Grath was right.

Last edited:
There have been a few instances where the 'correct' answer was/appeared to be wrong. Most memorable one is the the water freezing one you mentioned.

Not seen the latin name for Jackdaw one though, that sounds like a laugh!

QI > Wikipedia

But they do make the odd mistake, and normally have a good laugh pointing it out.

But didn't they correct the triple point of water in a later episode. And in the process caused Dara O'Briain to lose points for an answer in an old program :rotfl:

As Rich Hall once said "people believe Stephen so much now, that he could make up some complete rubbish and the country would indeed take it as fact." :rotfl:

Loved the Space episode. How many moons? What do you mean Pluto isn't a planet?

Top program. :smashin:

Last edited:
Sorry to dig up an old thread but i wanted to see if anyone else noticed anything awry on the latest QI or if i'm losing the plot.

They showed a picture of a dog and claimed it to be a greyhound. Now perhaps my eyes are going (not out of the realms of possibility), but i could have sworn it was either a whippet or Italian greyhound, being far too small for a standard greyhound.

Can anyone tell me whether i'm going mad or not?

Sorry to dig up an old thread but i wanted to see if anyone else noticed anything awry on the latest QI or if i'm losing the plot.

They showed a picture of a dog and claimed it to be a greyhound. Now perhaps my eyes are going (not out of the realms of possibility), but i could have sworn it was either a whippet or Italian greyhound, being far too small for a standard greyhound.

I think Liza seemed surprised that it was a greyhound..

I don't know much about dogs, so can't help you I'm afraid.

QI Ep 7 on iPlayer now was v.funny

And learned an interesting fact about the origin of "cool"

I liked how David was trying to say something serious but the others just kept acting like his pen was a sonic screwdriver, looked like he was getting abit peed lol

It definetly was not a fully grown one if it was a greyhound.

Fry states one regular insists on seeing the questions before going on.
come on Fry, name and shame! what kind of a tool needs to 'win' on a panel quiz? Rob Brydon's Annually Retentive pokes fun at this type of behaviour.

Digging up an old thread but Fry states one regular insists on seeing the questions before going on. Wonder who likes them self that much...
As they only have one regular member I think he was jesting at Alan's expense.

Regards

Mark

As they only have one regular member I think he was jesting at Alan's expense.

Regards

Mark

He said it was a 'regular guest', so I think he meant a person who appears frequently rather than Alan D. People like Jo Brand, Jimmy Carr and Rich Hall tend to be on quite a lot.

Yeah Alan is well known as the permanent guest

Would not even think Alan Davis was a guest but a permanent panelist, and over a number of shows hes usually the one to get the most minus point. If he was asking for the answers it would be so he could answer wrong.

But didn't they correct the triple point of water in a later episode. And in the process caused Dara O'Briain to lose points for an answer in an old program :rotfl:

As Rich Hall once said "people believe Stephen so much now, that he could make up some complete rubbish and the country would indeed take it as fact." :rotfl:

Loved the Space episode. How many moons? What do you mean Pluto isn't a planet?

Top program. :smashin:

This very episode was on, unbeknownst to me, then this scenario played out just as i closed the thread. Weird.

Hi,

Addendum to Thornster's post - an extended, 45 minute edition of each episode, airs the following Saturday on BBC2 of each Friday night's new episode! :clap:

First one, is on Saturday 18th at 20:45 (8:45pm). :)

Pooch

are these series getting shorter? it felt like the last series was only about seven or eight episodes.

Shorter series feels like a trend for a lot of British made television. However a quick look at Wikipedia says the H series will be 16 episodes, the longest yet compared to most previous series that were 12 episodes.
It may be that the BBC splitting the show and broadcasting a few episodes at a time makes it feel like 2-3 short series.

Last edited:
it look like they're adopting the US style schedule, spanning autumn(fall) to spring.

Digging up an old thread but Fry states one regular insists on seeing the questions before going on. Wonder who likes them self that much...

BBC News - Stephen Fry: BBC 'culture of fear' creating blandness

My first thought was Rory McGrath. He has some form. He managed to get information from a researcher on They Think It's All Over. However, I'm not sure he's really the Prima Donna type and the "cheating" on TTIAO could have just been for comedic effect.

Panelists with 3 or more appearances:

Wikipedia said:
25 appearances

* Jo Brand

24 appearances

* Phill Jupitus
* Sean Lock

22 appearances

* Bill Bailey
* Rich Hall

17 appearances

* Jimmy Carr