Qestion about TV-output on Asus Radeon 9800XT graphics card

Dr.Rock

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I hope to buy the Asus Radeon 9800XT graphics card, but I have a question to make sure it's the correct product for me.

The card has a TV-Out socket. Does anyone know what display resolution is this output? Will the resolution be standard TV resolution (640x480), or can this resolution be adjusted to higher resolutions? I will be getting a plasma TV which is capable of higher resolutions, so I hope I can connect the TV-out on the 9800XT graphics card to the plasma TV and get the high resoluion display I require.

Thanks.

You'd get a far better picture feeding the plasma with RGB, some have a native VGA input, or failing that using an RGB->Component converter.

I don't think the Asus video card has RGB output, unless you're talking about the VGA output. I was thinking of using the TV-out (composite and S-Video) because it's a cheap solution, and a 10 metre VGA or RGB cable would be expensive. The computer is in theother end of the room to where the TV is.

Thanks.

Dr. Rock there should be no problem hooking the Tv Out to you plasma screen using composite or s-video but the quality leaves much to be desired. RGB is definately the way to go no questions asked. If you plasma screen has DVI input it would need a high quality lead to ensure minimal signal degredation. Best thing to do it drag the PC to the other room while testing the S-video (everyone's got a lead lying round right..:/) and then testing the DVI input (or getting hold of a component adaptor if needed).

Hi Stlic,

I haven't bought the Asus video card yet. I first need to know if the TV-output (supports s-video and composite) supports high resolutions, beforeI buy it. The specs page on the Asus website doesn't state anything about resolution from that socket. And their tech support I emailed are taking a long time to reply to me. :(

Thansk.

OK, your plasma should have a VGA or DVI input.

If it has VGA, then just connect the DVI->VGA adaptor you should get with the card and then connect that to the plasma, or if it has DVI use a DVI lead to do the same.

THis method means you have much better image quality as it's a direct connection to the card. If you get Powerstrip http://www.entechtaiwan.com/ps.htm) you should be able to make a pixel perfect match for the resolution on the plasma :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom