1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Qestion about TV-output on Asus Radeon 9800XT graphics card

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Dr.Rock, Mar 30, 2004.

1. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I hope to buy the Asus Radeon 9800XT graphics card, but I have a question to make sure it's the correct product for me.

The card has a TV-Out socket. Does anyone know what display resolution is this output? Will the resolution be standard TV resolution (640x480), or can this resolution be adjusted to higher resolutions? I will be getting a plasma TV which is capable of higher resolutions, so I hope I can connect the TV-out on the 9800XT graphics card to the plasma TV and get the high resoluion display I require.

Thanks.

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    You'd get a far better picture feeding the plasma with RGB, some have a native VGA input, or failing that using an RGB->Component converter.

3. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I don't think the Asus video card has RGB output, unless you're talking about the VGA output. I was thinking of using the TV-out (composite and S-Video) because it's a cheap solution, and a 10 metre VGA or RGB cable would be expensive. The computer is in theother end of the room to where the TV is.

Thanks.

4. stlic

stlic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Dr. Rock there should be no problem hooking the Tv Out to you plasma screen using composite or s-video but the quality leaves much to be desired. RGB is definately the way to go no questions asked. If you plasma screen has DVI input it would need a high quality lead to ensure minimal signal degredation. Best thing to do it drag the PC to the other room while testing the S-video (everyone's got a lead lying round right..:/) and then testing the DVI input (or getting hold of a component adaptor if needed).

5. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi Stlic,

I haven't bought the Asus video card yet. I first need to know if the TV-output (supports s-video and composite) supports high resolutions, beforeI buy it. The specs page on the Asus website doesn't state anything about resolution from that socket. And their tech support I emailed are taking a long time to reply to me. :(

Thansk.

6. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    OK, your plasma should have a VGA or DVI input.

If it has VGA, then just connect the DVI->VGA adaptor you should get with the card and then connect that to the plasma, or if it has DVI use a DVI lead to do the same.

THis method means you have much better image quality as it's a direct connection to the card. If you get Powerstrip http://www.entechtaiwan.com/ps.htm) you should be able to make a pixel perfect match for the resolution on the plasma :)