QED Sqarts

The difference is in the design of the connector. The performance jobby exits the SCART socket perpendicular to the equipment, the other at a different angle. So it all depends on your own setup. I presume the cost difference is down to the cost of manufacturing the diferent connectors. Personally I've never understood how a flat cable can have a continuous 75ohm impedance, but then again I can't see how a SCART connection can have 75ohm impedance either.

I honestly don't think you will notice any performance difference. I like to keep the back of my kit nice and neat so I would go for whichever helped best acheive that result. Pieces of kit stacked above each other would probably be better with the performance version, whereas certain kit will need the version with the "knuckle". By the way (and fogive me if this is obvious to you), but do you realise that neither version will carry sound?

Thanks Steve

Yes I am aware that they are 'Audio' only.

I will be running a digital/optical cable from my Freeview Box (soon to be Sky+) to my new AX5i, and will connect via i-link to my new Pio 434.....guess who's skint at the momment.

:D :D :D

Kev

Kevtotty

Its a tight squeeze but SQART do work with the R04 Media Box - though they are annoyingly stiff cables at times.

Performance SQART are close too but maybe not quite the same quality as the SQART cables.

RGB only SCART cables to the R04 wont work if you want to retain the ability to have sound via the Plasma TV's speakers - you'll need a fully wired SQART if you want RGB Video + Audio.

i.Link Audio from your VSX-AX5i Receiver to your R04 Media Box sounds interesting - that wont happen in a hurry; perhaps your mixing up i/o Link (which is a control protocol) with i.Link Firewire multi channel audio!

Best regards

Joe

Ermm...

Yes I meant to say 'Video' not 'Audio'.....

and I am so excited about the AX5i that I forgot the i-link will connect the new dvd player thats coming as well!!!

Obviously (!!) the Sqart and digital cables will feed the Plasma receiver !!!

Kev

PS I wont be having the Plasma speakers - all audio will be fed through the amp/Missions

kevtotty

I think your still getting over excited :)

There is NO Digital Audio In or Out on the R04 Media Box.

So in your system all Analogue (Composite, S-Video, RGB or YUV) and Digital (HDMI) Video signals to the R04 Media Box and all Analogue and Digital Audio signals to the VSX-AX5i.

Best regards

Joe

the performance series are a step down on the standard sqart which is officially known as the "silver reference" sqart as it has silver plated conductors, and it is dual screened.
So it was introduced as a lower model to go up directly against the Ixos' flat scart!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom