1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

QED Silver Anniversary

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Kasperoff, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Kasperoff

Kasperoff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I'm looking at getting 2 10m lengths of this cable for my Monitor Audio Radius 90s when they arrive. I've seen it for £68 for 20m so far. Does anyone know when it might be had for cheaper?

Also, a question on subwoofer cables. Am I right in thinking that this is just 1 half of a normal coax cable?

Thanks for the help.

2. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi Kasperoff,
    You could always try out Twin & Earth electrical cable before you go splashing out on QED. Cost you about .20p a metre. I doubt you'll be able to tell the difference.;)
    There have been quite a few posts recently discussing various cables and there merits.
    HTH

3. Kasperoff

Kasperoff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, which Twin and Earth cables have people been going for?

4. CfP

CfP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :D Don't be fooled by the dark side Kasperoff...... ;)

This whole CAT5 craze is just grand for a test but I do suggest you do a subjective listening test with your super cheap cable and some decent stuff (ie: the QED, it IS nice).

Most good audio stores will (if they get to know you) let you take it home for a test drive, at which point you can either purchase or take it back with no questions asked.

Don't just assume our info is god :smashin:

Me, I've got QED Qudos cable (predecessor to Silver stuff) and it (to me) sounds much better than my cheap as chips speaker lead. Much better bottom end (tighter) and clearer/smoother top ends.

Your money at the end of the day.

CfP

5. Markie Boy

Markie Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Perth, Western Australia (Originally Ireland)
    Ratings:
    +227
    I know some retailers over here in Australia have some pre cut cables that you can try at home to see if they make a difference to YOUR specific system or not. A good idea IMHO. I think the Chord Carnival Silver Plus isnt much more expensive - its what I'd be looking at. My 2 cents worth of course!

6. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    :)
    The better your system the better it sounds.... Cat5 does fit the bill for speaker cable it meets and exceeds all the pre-requisites.
    Make sure it's blind yes?

Good advice!

7. CfP

CfP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Blind test ideally Knightshade or a track that you know so inside out that blind or not, it really makes no difference :p

I agree that CAT5 can carry a current load up to and over that driven by most 'typical' amps, but if cable making was that simple, wouldn't you see super tricky designs like that from all generic manufacturers selling in the 'high end' range??

Either way, blind test or test against a good set of headphones (like Senn 590/600/650's) so that you REALLY know what the song sounds like ;) Then you can EASILY see what you're missing when you listen through speakers.

Then the difference should be easy to pick at that stage.

CfP
    (not the only Australian on the list w00t!!) :clap:

8. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Cheap stuff from B&Q or any electrical store. Doesn't need to be ultra heavy duty or anything.

9. Kasperoff

Kasperoff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm actaully a Network Analyst. We have miles of good Cat 5e (and some Cat 6) at work. Would this fit the bill?

Also, bear in mind this is just for the rears and centre. I already have some Audioquest Indigo at the front.

10. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    If you've got access to some even better. Just to try it don't bother braiding it just run straight cables to the speakers and see what you think. It will be better than twin and earth by a long way. For what it will cost you it's certainly worth a go.
    Good Luck

11. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Companies like Nordost and Atlas already do and they charge the earth for it. There isn't anything fancy about Cat5 apart from the fact that it doesn't cost you much. Cable is a high profit item. The markup for re-sellers is very good. It's actual cost to manufacture is a tiny percentage of what the poor end user has to pay for it.
    Pretty irrelevent for me as I never use headphones. My system seems fairly capable of showing the differences between some (Not all) cables. Hate to have to say this but in the sub £100 a metre range well terminated cat5 cable will take some beating. :)

12. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Cat5 is certainly a better cable than "normal" figure of eight stuff, it does have a remarkably high capacitance though (in general, a bad thing). I'm hoping to try some cable using pairs of coaxial cable soon though which should be interesting though :)

13. Kasperoff

Kasperoff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I'm gonna give it a go. I can get the cable for free anyway. Has anyone got a like any DIY articles?

14. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
  15. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    The link in my signature has a quick guide

Merry Christmas!

16. CfP

CfP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Knightshade:
    Appreciate your view here Knightshade, CAT5 is just another Xn purity copper stuck into some injection moulded plastic cover. No different to any other solid core copper lead with the same purity.

Agree that your system should be able to show you the difference between 'good and bad' cable. The Headphones comment was more attuned to allowing you to hear MORE of your normal songs, so you may easily hear what's missing.

Kasperoff:
    I too am a network engineer (well, have worn that hat), as well as having a physics, electrical and chemisty background. I've extensively used CAT5 (and most other networking mediums) so have done some good, bad and ugly things with them. :lol:

Normally I end up looking at things at the electron/atomic level and when it comes to metallurgy, well constructed copper will transmit a signal better than grotty (low purity) copper. Whether that signal difference is audible though, is another thing. That's why audio is SOOOOOOO subjective.

Cheers and Beers out there for Chrissy everyone!!!!

I'm off to play with my new Onkyo TX-SR702 :)smashin:)