• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

QED silver anniversary versus Van Damme Black

scrowe

Distinguished Member
Hi there, have significantly upgraded speakers to Kef R series - but gone down to 5.2 from 7.1, so have spare speaker cable.

I was using QED Silver Anniversary with self-fitted Nakamichi Banana Plugs on Amp end, for fronts and centre, and QED Silver Anniversary Micro for RL RR BL BR.

With the new setup, I can bi-amp fronts and centre, but am new to this.

To get things in situ, I have re-used QEDSA for R L C wired to Low Frequency Terminals for now, as per the speaker manuals.

Given the long runs involved I will keep one pair of QEDSAmicro for Dipole rears, though am waiting for them to be mounted professionally later on the week.

So here's the questions :-

1. If I re-use the QEDSAmicro from the removed extra rears, will it make a difference due to different types of speaker cable into the High Frequency channels (versus full-fat QEDSA used for Low Frequency) as part of bi-amping? Or at this level should I really be trying to keep the cable consistent.

2. To be honest dealing with this QED cable was such a pain previously, using a scalpel, etc to cut the hard plastic sheathing, etc, I'm not sure I can be bothered with re-cutting, I'd probably want to go Bananas all ends as well, so would need to get more Banana Plugs, and spend hours cutting and plugging, with sore fingers.

3. So I like the look of the Van Damme Black cables (bi-amp ready with plugs pre-fitted) ordered to measure, from markgrantcables as a complete solution for F R C. I can then sell the QED stuff (other than what's left in situ for the rears) along with the old speakers/amp. Would this be a mis-step in terms of getting rid of very expensive cable in preference for cheaper and more practical? Is there a marked difference here, Van Damme seems well recommended but still much cheaper than QEDSA, but re-using the current cables would also be mismatched in terms of the bi-amping?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom