• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

QED Silver Anniversary Cable - Cutting

R

RossH

Just got a load of this fine cable but cutting it is a nightmare! The plastic coating is very hard and is a pain to get through without damaging the conducting material underneath, which is very flimsy!

Does anyone have any tips??

Cheers.

summerWhine

Standard Member
I used a Stanley knife to cut the outer off. Not a surefire method and you end up with criss-cross cuts in your thumb but it seems to work quite well.

12 promises

Just got a load of this fine cable but cutting it is a nightmare! The plastic coating is very hard and is a pain to get through without damaging the conducting material underneath, which is very flimsy!

Does anyone have any tips??

Cheers.

cut to length using pliers and consider buying a cheapo hobby knife kit (b&q)
which has a chisel blade.
lay the cable flat on a surface and pare away the outer sheath.
you will find that you can remove the sheath without cutting any of the strands.

D

drac

I used a wire stripper to cut around the cable about 15mm from the end, then used a stanley knife to cut it back to the end and just pulled it off. I was also advised another way to do it is to use a lighter and melt it.....

R

RossH

I've given the stanley knife a go but i always seem to nick the stuff below the plastic. Its so thin, it feels like tin foil thats been crumpled about a million times!

I was also advised another way to do it is to use a lighter and melt it.....

Hmmmm.... £200 worth of cable, I might give this one a miss!

iainsilvester

Having done this 28 times (4 lots of 7) I agree it is a real pain. But using a sharp blade is probably the best option. I also tried wire cutters, but they found the sheath very tough, and pulling more than 1cm of sheath off the wire at one time is pretty impossible.

I shouldn't worry about loosing a few stands, there are plenty more... Just make sure you still have 4 bundles!

Just stick to it, after 10 you'll get the knack :)

Timmy C

Distinguished Member
I actually found a sharp blade to be a problem as I kept cutting the cable itself and got on better with a pair of kitchen scissors. Gently grip the outer cover with the scissors then twist the cable until it cuts through and use the scissors to strip the cable. It only worked well when stripping small amounts off the end though. Good luck!

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom