1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Qed Silver anniversary-a miracle

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Bob Mitchum, Apr 21, 2003.

1. Bob Mitchum

Bob Mitchum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For two years, I've been using Ixos 6003 speaker cables for my front three speakers. I gained improvement in sound only on dance tracks. Listening to Rock had me squirming in agony; vocals would be spitting and cymbals would strip the plaster of the ceiling. I had to brace myself everyime I put the volume up on my amp. I blamed the awful sound on poorly recorded cds until I realised every rock cd I owned was not being played.

IMHO, b4, I thought only interconnects could bring improvements in sound. But reading all the reviews on the Silver Anniversary cable, here and in the mags, I decided to take a risk on buying some. Boy, has it worked miracles. I can listen to
    compilation without grimacing in pain due to the harsh treble. The cable has given my system a neutral balance, slightly laid back I admit, but no longer am I in pain. For £30.00 expenditure, I have saved myself so much time from having to demo and purchase a new CD player or stereo amp which I thought were causing the problems.
    You may think what's the point of this thread. It's just to say I'm bloody Happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Equipment:

Yamaha 630 connected via preouts to Nak AV8 (coz' the 630 is absolutely atrocious in stereo)
    Kenwood cd Player (part of Se-a750) range
    Mission 701's (main speakers)
    Ixos gamma 1002 interconnect

:clap: :) :smoke:

2. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    7thguest had the same good results.

I use the origional qed as running The New Kef Q range and was advised against silver due to tweater

3. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Glad to hear that Bob!

Question: I'm using QED Silver along with QED standard copper stuff (£3/metre) in a bi-wire configuration, my silver is feeding my bass/mid cone, should I have the silver connected to the tweeter instead?

4. Bob Mitchum

Bob Mitchum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Depends whether u r suffering from a harsh teble. If u r then I'd give it a whirl as the Silver anniversary does produce a slightly relaxed sound IMO.

God, I wish I had an Arcam 65 Plus. Bloody Gorgeous they r and not bad sounding either

rgds

5. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bet ya didn't expect this thread to re-appear!!! :laugh:

I'm running my system with IXOS Gamma cable on all speakers(not sure which, I will try to find out tomorrow! Light and Dark Purple, £5mtr I think(ish))

I have been moaning about my system sounding bright and harsh the last week or so (as everyone I've bored knows!! :zonked: :zonked: )

I bought this cable on recommendation of the supplier a couple of years ago, I have known other people happy with it, but unfortunately, as far as I know you can't really demo speaker cable without spunking a fortune (I need about 15mtrs for the front 3)!!! SO, I purchased a house and laid the cables into a chase in the concrete floor, then laid acoustic insulation and laminate flooring. I've since changed my system and it sounds brighter. It could be the flooring, I know, but (as I say at work :devil: )
    I don't want to know about the problem. I want to know about the solution. Anyway this isn't a problem, IT'S AN OPPORTUNITY!!! TO MOVE FORWARD!!!! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Anyway, 3 beers later and after boring myself, has the QED really made the difference?? :confused:

As I said, how can you demo speaker cable, if I need to change the front 3, I can run it around the walls BUT what do I buy?????

Your Sincerely........Drunk
    Stace :D

6. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    I feel the opposite is true.

7. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I completely disagree with this as well. QED SA is one of the few cables I've been able to confidently distinguish from standard copper bellwire in listening tests (for better or for worse). It's brighter than most, IMHO.

MuFu.

8. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Been looking around on the web and I think its IXOS 6003 I got as well!!!! I'm not suggesting its just the speaker cable but something in the system is producing a VERY bright, painful sound!!!

I can't afford to have anything more harsh!! :nono: So if the QED is gonna be brighter :nono: :nono: What do you recommend?? Don't remember the IXOS being around the £3 mark, the web said it was though?!?!?

I'll pay plenties MORE if it fixes it!! ( NOT an excuse to recommend £100 cable :laugh: )

Stace :D

9. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too am moving away from Silver Anniversary because it sounds harsh/bright with my KEF rdm 2's.

Many people mistake this brightnesss as detail increase but thats not the case for me. I have used some of that £1.99 Gale stuff from richersounds and thought it was about the same sort of sound I'm getting with the SA. So why the press rave about it is anyone's guess.

10. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Because they are paid to do so. Any figure eight, multi-stranded speaker wire is inherantly flawed in design. Most are just off the reel zip wire in an oxygen free jacket.

It's noticable that people with lower end systems pay a lot for cables but on the whole, as they move to better components, they tend to end up using mains flex or making Cat5 cables for under £1 a meter. I'm as guilty as most, having spent a fortune on QED biwire, only to find that Cat5 destroys it and cost a fraction to make.

I can understand sonebody who has spent £10,000 on gear would invest in soem decent Chord or Kimber cables as these are actually designed to a principle. But, with a £300 amp and £300 speakers, you are not going to hear a huge differnence between cables under £20 a meter, if at all.

Try setting up a blind test with your QED, mains flex and maybe some 50p a meter stuff from your local electrical shop. Get a mate to switch and see how you do. If you're like me, differences you thought you could definately hear are actually not there. The only cable I've been able to tell apart is Cat5 FFRC. I admit I have not tried expensive cables.

Of course, others may have better ears than me.......

11. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,145
    What I have always found odd is that SA sounds brighter to me on my equipment than most other silver cables. I now use QED silver 12 on the fronts downstairs and the stereo pair upstairs (replacing SA in the latter case) and find it a great deal more relaxed than the old SA I was using.
    Compared to the QED silver spiral interconnect, SA is valve warm however............

12. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I was using some cheap and thin speaker cable for my front 3 speakers. After changing to silver anivesary cable the front 3 cables were now louder than my back 3 (this was easy to prove with my sound meter). In the end I had to increase my back 3 speakers by 2 DB so that they matched the front 3.

Needless to say the new cables were much better than the cheaper ones I had.

CaM

13. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steve,

Did you make your CAT5 in the way stated on TNT???? If so how big is it???

I'm kind of guessing braiding Cat5 ends up being quite thick!!!??? I'm tempted to give it a go but will struggle explaining to the missus why I've got inch thick (FL;C;FR) cabling running around the wall!?!

How good does it sound? As you can tell, I'm trying to loose the harshness of the treble!!

Thanks
    Stace

14. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some people percieve a loudness boost as a more dynamic and open sound. Even if only 1 or 2dB.

My point is an increase in volume is not always better quality.

15. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11

ok, far enough - a difference in perceived quality is probably hard to measure. Still, even if you think there is no difference in quality it is still interesting how different speaker cables change the loudness of music (or movies).

CaM

16. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Cameron, your speakers were louder because the thicker cable has less resistance, thereby making it easier on the amp. Speaker cable cannot have a positive effect on your hardware, only negative. It's the extent to which the cable degrades the sound and bell wire is likely to do a lot of damage.

Stace, it really does sound great. Check this thread, especially CJROSS's posts, he has pictures of the finished article.

http://www.avforums.com/frame.html?http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=107477

You can try knocking up a basic pair with some old cat5 twisted together, that's what I did to try. I'm now in the process of ordering the recommended cat5 cabling and making a proper terminated set.