QED QCV or JS RGB to Component converter

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by andybed, Nov 2, 2005.

1. andybed

andybed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am getting close to taking the plunge and purchasing my first Plasma screen (probably a TH42PWD8). I was planning on getting the JS RGB to Component converter to take advantage of my amps component switching, but today I spotted that QED do one which is similar but half the price. Does anyone know how this compares performance wise to the JS? Is it worth me paying twice as much for the JS?

Many Thanks

Andy

2. Majid Khan

Majid Khan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This QED rgb to component convertor sounds good.. and surprisingly for QED, the price isn't too bad.

BTW, just found this description for it:

I think i might go for this one too.. thanks for bringing this one up Andy...

3. james_19742000

james_19742000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I have one on order, should be with me tomorrow, but wont be using it for a while as I have ordered new DVD, AV receiver, cables etc etc to go with my 42PD5200 when I wall mount it in a few weeks time after the decorating so I will post my thoughts then if you like? Or if anyone else has one, then please do send in your thoughts?

Thanks, James.

4. andybed

andybed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the reply Majid/James.

Looks like no one else is using a QED converter so please let me know how it performs when you start using it.

Thanks

Andy

5. pmckirdy

pmckirdy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm using the QED converter for my sky+ input to my receiver. No problems and great picture. Highly recommended.

6. andybed

andybed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks pmckirdy, Looks like I'll be able to save myself a few quid.

The QED doesn't seem to get much of a mention on this forum. Everyone only seems to mention the JS converter.

I thought that the QED converter must be lacking in some way, afterall it is half the price of the JS. It would be good if somebody was able to do a performance comparison between the two.

7. james_19742000

james_19742000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    It arrived today as planned, along with a load of new cables and Denon 1920 and a Yamaha receiver and a set of new speakers! After four deliveries of AV equipment toda the wife was going mental!!!! All I have to do now is decorate the lounge and it can all be put together!!

It is murder though having all these boxes of stuff hanging around and not being able to play with it yet!!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

James

8. james_19742000

james_19742000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Just updating you guys as promised, I bought this QED Scart to Compnant convertor and have now installed it as I have now wall mounted my Plasma and upgraded all my other kit, and I have to see this little convertor is excellent value!

I plugged the scart in one end, took the componant cable out the other end, put it in my receiver and ran a componant cable to my plasma and the improvement in the picture etc is amazing! Far exceeeded my expectations, I thought maybe I had spent money in hope of the holy grail of plasma pictures, but in all seriousness it has revamped my picture,, ALL channels now produce a clear crisp image, the image does not suffer from that 'blocky' effect that it used to, live football no longer produces smearing or blocky effect round the players, and to be totally honest it was the best £60 I have spent!

It has made a hell of a difference to the whole system and has really enhanced the whole lot!

I have had plenty of time to analyze it all recently as I have had a week in hospital with Pneumonia a coupel of weeks agoi and now have Plurisy and have been ordered by the Doctors to 6 weeks rest in front odf the TV, so am examining it all very well indeed, thoroughly impressed and would reccomened it to anyone, whether they woudl; get the same results I dont know but it has owrked for me.

Equipment list for your interest is.
    Hitach 42PD5200
    Denon 1920 DVD
    Yamaha RX-V357 Receiver
    Yamaha NSP-110 Speakers
    Pace SkyDigibox
    QED RGB Scart to Componant Convertor box.

All linked, Sky box to QED then via componant to RXV357, Denon via HDMI-DVI lead direct, Optical digital sound lead to RXV357, Componant from RXV357 to 42PD5200 for Sky etc, audio leads from Sky box to Receiver, and it all works very well indeed, Denon works nicely, hope you guys didnt mind me posting this here but I did promise I would update a couple of people with my thoughts on the convertor box, there you go.

Hope this has helped somebody.

Regards James

9. leedsfireman

leedsfireman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    What is the best price for a QED converter?

10. james_19742000

james_19742000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
  11. Tony8377

Tony8377

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Has anyone had a chance to compare this against the JS version, as I'm still looking for a good component converter but don't wan't the expense of the JS one. Did buy a cheap one once but wasn't that impressed.

12. jimmymac87

jimmymac87
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok - I admit - I know nothing! If I get the QED converter, can I just plug my dvd player (some crappy sanyo, but has scart and s-video connection) and sky+ box (thomson) into this, then this to my plasma (PWD7)??

Ta :)

13. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember
    Previously Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    Trying not to be a party pooper here, but the only improvement you are seeing is that gained by using a decent cable (which is also boosting the signal a bit).

Contrary to the quoted marketing statement above there is no improvement to be gained in converting RGB to YUV. If anything, a loss in undergoing a colourspace converstion. Secondly, since there is no additional processing going on I fail to see where this improvement is somehow being added to the image! It's still the same RGB output from your Sky box, it's just be turned into a different signal type.

Great product, esp for getting everything to component for AV amp switching (something I do a lot), but the same "improvement" would have been gained by just using a decent lead in the first place.

14. Tony8377

Tony8377

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I just want to buy a component converter for simple video switching (and the potential purchase of scaler) but still would like to know if you think the QED is an equal to the JS so as to minimise any signal degradation?

15. CSpee

CSpee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just ordered one of these for the following reason.

I have a Sammy M86 LCD and want to get PIP working but in order to do this one of the inputs on the TV has to come from either HDMI PC or Component.

Since I have sky + I have no way of doing this unless I convert my signal from RGB SCART to Component.

16. Tony8377

Tony8377

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I've owned both of these (two of the JS Labs one) and never found they were a patch on the JS labs VGA converter in terms of picture quality. I wanted the video switching in the amp to reduce cable clutter put found the VGA picture significantly better so have been forced to keep with the VGA converter (panny 7 series plasma).

17. jake7

jake7
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Sky+ box is currently connected to my Samsung LE37A656A by RGB Scart and although I'm not totally displeased with the PQ I can't help but think it could be improved.

Will I gain any video improvement by using either the QED QCV or JS RGB component converters?

Does the converter enhance the PQ or is the component connection higher quality than RGB scart input?

18. YellowSphere

YellowSphere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +471
    Any improvement that could be made would be in the TV's settings. These converters are for people who don't have the original connection option available, i.e. say someone wanted to use a SCART source on a US set.

19. jake7

jake7
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was hoping this converter would improve video quality.

Is the above quote from QED just marketing spin?

Has anyone seen improvements in PQ when using this converter?

20. Demon Esq.

Demon Esq.
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

Since there is nothing to be gained from converting a composite signal to component, would I be right assuming I don't need to buy a QED QCV for connecting my SKY+ box to my Hauppauge HD PVR?

As you can see from the picture, the HD PVR has both component and composite video inputs.

http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/pics/PVR-HD_diagram_back.gif

http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/pics/PVR-HD_diagram_front.gif

All I would need is, a SCART to composite lead, right?
    No need to plug anything in between both boxes?

The SKY+ box has 2 audio output options: digital coaxial S/PDIF and analgue RCA phono stereo.

Since, the HD PVR has an optical S/PDIF input, I may go coaxial (SKY) to optical into the Hauppauge.
    My only concern is that the composite cables will be plugged into the front and the optical into the back.
    Will the machine recognise that the two belong together, and sync them when recording? Or, will I have to slum it and, go analogue (into the front, next to the composite input)?

Hauppauge UK & USA have not responded to my email for a week now. So, I doubt I'll be hearing from them anytime soon. I was hoping a user (reading this) might be able to comment?

Thanks in advance :)