QED Performance Ruby Anniversary Evolution is not the cable for my system

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Speakers' started by gasolin, Apr 3, 2017.

1. gasolin

gasolin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    New hifi usb 2.0 cable Qed perfomance graphite, also new shorter and better cable for my cdplayer from inakustik, there premium cable,interconnect, have the Qed performance graphite (analog) i use for my tv (nad dvd reciver and Q Acoustics 2010i) and finally Qed performance graphite J2P i thought i also would try the j2p interconnect since i could and the price was more than fair.

So fare so good, how about some Qed speaker cable i thought, i talked to the place i usually buy cables from and chosed QED Performance Ruby Anniversary Evolution

Marantz PM8005 and Mission LX-2, the top was less softer than i was used and the midrange sounded a it was screaming a bit, there was a lack of bass, the deep bass was missing control and sounded more absent

Quickly realised i had to try my old speaker cable again, Supra Classic 6.0, here on page 4 you can read why i some month ago chosed to but this cable Merlin TSM comparisons | Audiogon Discussion Forum

Changed cable and i noticed i got better bass,softer midrange and top

So i can conclude that QED Performance Ruby Anniversary Evolution isn't the right cable for my system, supra classic 6.0 is better for my system more controlled and deep bas and softer upper midrange and up,nothing seems to scream

Im keeping the QED interconnects and usb cable as well as my inakustik premium for my cdplayer,just surprised i didn't like the whathifi 5 star awarded QED Performance Ruby Anniversary Evolution speaker cable

2. PiperCub

PiperCub
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +278
    I've never rated QED cables in my system at least but your experiences just go to show how cable matching is so important and individual. QED may be great in another.

3. gasolin

gasolin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    You would expect that Qed speaker cables or for that matter other brands in the same quality would go well with interconnect from the same brand, but it's not always the case

4. Cold blooded

Cold blooded

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Perhaps that's why I'm happy with mine.. Qed reference all through the system

5. Deleted member 781788

Deleted member 781788

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Speaker cables, beyond the obvious choice on build quality is a bit of a Snake Oil.
    HiFi USB cables are definitely Snake Oil, I challenge anyone who can successfully pick up the sound of a USB cable (again assuming basic quality is observed) in a blind test, regardless of associating equipment.
    Spend your money elsewhere - on music if not equipment!

6. PiperCub

PiperCub
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +278
    Not really. He has found a good cable that makes a discernible quality difference at a price worth it to him. More power to him I'd say.

7. Paul7777x

Paul7777x

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +946
    Yes really. Because the granny down the street talks to the pixies does not mean they are there.

8. larkone

larkone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,138
    But they are there and I bought some brilliant speaker cable from them that is clever enough to turn 128k MP3s into 24/96 flac.

9. Wall Of Sound

Wall Of Sound

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Reference the comment on speaker cables it depends, although I appreciate you did say 'is a bit' and not a matter of fact.

I had to change from a pair of QED genesis silver anniversary speaker cables on my system because they sounded too bright. I went with cheaper manual recommended speaker cables with improved results, losing the shrill/brittle treble that was previously haunting my music.

The difference between the former and later, one was silver plated, one was not.

10. Deleted member 781788

Deleted member 781788

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some speaker cables (regardless of their exotic components) are more capacitive than others, some are more inductive.
    Since most amplifiers obtain NFB (negative feed back) at speaker terminals for obvious reasons, the-above can cause problems within the amplifier.
    I remember Naim amplifiers used to warn against this and recommend certain cables.
    This is why having mono-block amplifiers (as I do) have the added advantage of not needing long speaker cables.
    Mine are 50cm each side.
    Also bear in mind that even some of the more exotic amplifier manufacturers use ordinary cables internally.
    For the record my system is:
    - Home made (refined Circlotron) tube OTL monoblock poweramps.
    - Leema Elements DAC preamp using balanced outputs
    - Home made interconnects using Mogami microphone cables.
    - PC with digital music using Jriver player
    - Rebuilt and modified Sonus Faber Grand Piano speakers sitting on large Granite slabs.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2017
  11. gasolin

gasolin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    As fare as i remember it's better to have long interconnects and short speaker cable.

I think the amp somehow can better control the speakers if the speaker cable is short

12. finkaudio

finkaudio
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16

I find the difference in USB cables huge. And if you look around on the web, there are some measurements and arguments for it......however, cables are a good way to fine tune your system. The SUPRA does i sound a bit rounder and warmer and if you like the total system with it, you can leave it and enjoy. On the High-End this year, I used NACA5 sort of cable (Phonosophie) to drive my 65k€ speakers on a 20+20k€ amp. I normally have a set of QED Subprimo cables in my setup, but for the OCTAVE tube and my WM-4, the NACA5 was the best sounding choice.