Qed performance 40i interconnect a little to bright ?

gasolin

I changed my cordia cfu 0.3 cc (30cm) to the qed performance 40i between my Nad c316bee and nad D1050 (dac), i noticed a big difference a much more clearer and open sound, the midrange sounds bigger and somwhat fuller, bass is now less full bodied, i also notice somewhat brightness i din’t have before that could be a little to much only because of a different cable, any suggestion to tame it a little beside using tone controls ?

I can here the bass sounding a little less bloated or fullbodied and a more open sound, it sounds good, i just feel the somwewhat lesser bass and more brightness change the sound a little to much on some songs

Here is a comment on the qed performance 40i on paul rigbys review Performance Audio 40i Interconnects From QED - The Audiophile Man

Hello. I tested the 2 (Performance 40i and the “old” Reference 40) a few weeks ago on my Naim system to interconnect the phono preamp (Rega Aura Reference MC) and the Naim preamp (Nac N-272).
They sounds globally similar but the Reference 40 go further in trebble extension & lisibility, bass are a little tighter and I found voice more analitics without the sibilance that can sometimes occurs with the Performance 40i (listening to vinyl medias, sibilance is a very sensitive point).
I found that RCA connectors better on the Reference 40 too (lockables).
Nevertheless, considering price, the new Performance 40i got a better price to performance ratio but, for my ears, the Reference 40 is the best performer.

larkone

Distinguished Member
It's the extra analitics that does it:thumbsup:

gasolin

well i stred to listen to some older songs, that might have been one of the reason

muljao

Put it in a darker room to reduce the brightness

acgingersnaps

I send my speaker cable to a therapist, in order to improve it's balance.

Welwynnick

Distinguished Member
Don't worry about this crowd, they're so deaf the only thing they can hear is room treatment and correction.

Nick

Harkon321

Be interesting to measure the two, and then post graphs overlaid to show the differences.

acgingersnaps

Don't worry about this crowd, they're so deaf the only thing they can hear is room treatment and correction.

Nick
Different rooms having different reactions to sound waves makes perfectly good scientific sense. Different types of (suitable) wire having an effect on bass/mid/treble sound makes no scientific sense at all. It's an electric current going down a wire. Nothing more.

mikeysthoughts

I was wondering how long we would have to wait for gasolin to mention the brilliance of QED cables again. Every few months a QED sales pitch comes in of the style:

"I changed from XXX cable to QED and can notice..."

Nothing to see here.

Welwynnick

Distinguished Member
Different rooms having different reactions to sound waves makes perfectly good scientific sense. Different types of (suitable) wire having an effect on bass/mid/treble sound makes no scientific sense at all. It's an electric current going down a wire. Nothing more.
Yes indeed, but wires aren't perfect conductors.

They have resistance, capacitance and inductance, so they're passive electronic components in themselves.

Nick

jani80k

Novice Member
Hi,
so happy I came across this thread.
I have been using my headphone amp Liquid Spark with the QED RCA 40i without issues. Actually the boosted treble the cable provides helped balance the darkness of my headphones and my amp a bit.
Now that I am using a new amp SMSL SP200 that cable is providing a way too treble heavy sound experience for me. I have to go back to my old cheapo cable to be able to enjoy my new amp.
I wonder what QED did to make that cable sound that way. Vocals are not loud enough in some songs, too.
Cheers

gibbsy

Vocals are not loud enough in some songs, too.
Cheers
Welcome to the Forum.

That has nothing to do with cables, that's down to the mixing and quality of the recording themselves. A good headphone amp along with good headphones will just show up those shortcomings because the connection is so pure.

larkone

Distinguished Member
The best a cable can do is not screw with the sound, at worst it will degrade sound. It cannot make it 'better'

Yes indeed, but wires aren't perfect conductors.

They have resistance, capacitance and inductance, so they're passive electronic components in themselves.

Nick
Speaker cable impedance will have an effect on damping factor. Resistance will be constant over the frequency range. While inductive and capacitive reactance will change with frequemcy. So the lumpen characteristic is variable for both interconnects and speaker cables. Could this have an effect on the sound? Why not?

gibbsy

I've used QED Performance interconnects, as well as QED Performance headphone extension leads between my Denon DCD 2500 SACD player and Lehmann Linear headphone amp. I'm currently using Chord Clearway interconnects that I blagged when I bought a Rega amp several years ago, which retail cost wise are over twice the price. I can't tell the difference both sound exactly the same to me.

The only difference I get in sound quality from the player and amp combination is between the two different headphones I regularly use. Either the cables are benign or my ears are. My money is on the cables.

jani80k

Novice Member
Something is not right when I use the QED 40i cable.
Instruments are far too loud and voice is not loud enough. This happens on lots of different songs.
A considerable amount of tidal tracks does not sound right when I use that cable.
It sounds as if there is "too much" separation going on in favour of high pitched sounding instruments which sound too loud in comparison.
EDIT: It may well be the added quality by the THX AAA 888 amp that I am not used to haha. I will use the amp and see if I get used to it.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom