QED MDH2 Mains Conditioner and power limit

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by jackal, Sep 4, 2007.

1. jackal

jackal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I use three QED Qonduit Mains conditioners on my system (six, four and two sockets).

I have noticed that they are all internally fused with a 10 amp fuse and the qonduit cables are the same.

The power amp rating on the 2 socket MDH2 is 2KW. SO here is the question.

My new power amp draws at maximum power 2.5KW, but is internally fused at 15amps.

Should I not try to run it off the MDH2, or do you think I would be OK to do so.

I would have put this in the cabling section, but it would have inevitably drawn in all of the 'snakeoil' gang.

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    I would think that it will probably be fine as long as your amp isnt run full tilt all the time,which is unlikely.

One point worth mentioning though is that mains filters such as this are often better used for low-level/source components,than power amps,as many have found that significant deterioration in sound quality can result.

This is by no means universal,and it's certainly worth seeing if the filter is worthwhile for the power amp.

As I've said in a few other threads,the best of these devices are the regenerative supplies such as the PS Audio and Accuphase,but the price tag matches the capabilities.

3. jon_mendel

jon_mendel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I'd suspect that - if you're playing loud enough to draw anything like 10A - your ears should be more of a concern than a blown fuse...

don't blame me if something does blow up, though :D

4. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Is the fusing on the AC or DC side of the power. If it is DC at 15 amps you have nothing to worry about. If it is AC then the fuse may be one rated for US voltages so you may want to contact the maker and confirm the correct fuse rating for EU mains.