QED Main Power Block/Distribution Hub - tripping my RCD???

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Bratfud Recusant, Sep 15, 2007.

1. Bratfud Recusant

Bratfud Recusant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +892
    Hi guys,

Have no idea if this is the right place to ask this (mods, please move to relevant section if I'm wrong), but am having the following problem I'm hoping someone more clued-up with 'electrics' than myself can advise/help with:-

Y'see I've just invested in a QED 6-way Qonduit Mains Distribution Hub HERE, which (I at least thought would be) a great bit of kit to compliment my current system that I'm currently putting the finishing touches to.

However, even though the QED hub seemed to work spot-on for apprx 14hrs after first plumbing it in yesterday a.m.; it decided to take it's ball home at around 11pm last night. From that moment on I've found that when plugged in/turning on the power to the unit, it is permanently tripping my domestic RCD mains box. The switch absolutely will not flip back on whilst this unit is plumbed into the mains; once unplugged, everything is fine :(

Making things more confusing, the QED block works 101% fine when plugged into my kitchen's socket(s), which I believe also happens to be on it's own exclusive ring circuit :rolleyes:. Additionally, my previous BELKIN 8-way PureAV series hub works ok as well, causing no probs on any circuits in the house, but as soon as the QED hits the sockets - no joy :suicide:

Having little knowledge of domestic electrics I am completely bewildered by this? Has anyone had any similar problem with Mains Blocks/Hubs of this type? Does anyone think that this is a direct issue with the QED block, or is it more likely to be a wiring prob within the ring circuits themselves(I have had similar issues with these before - and it is a new build property just over 5 years old).

:lease:, any help would be deeply appreciated! My sincere thanks in advance :thumbsup:

LAGAVULIN

2. Belle400

Belle400
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    does the rcd trip with any other equipment plugged in or just the qed?
    i cant see it being a problem with the ring main,do the qed instructions mention anything about earth leakage?

3. bsimmer3000

bsimmer3000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    my belkin pure av filter has a setting that tests the connections so that it can warn me that i may have a bad circuit. well if yours has similer system when it tests the earth it maybe causeing ground fault though only small your rcd might be very sensative and if so maybe try swiching to a higher rated rcd. i think they are 30ma but perhaps someone with more knowledge of rcds could give some more advice. but i would have thought that this may be your problem.

4. deaf cat

deaf cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Is the kitchen power point on the same rcd ?

I guess it can't be on the same ring as the av equipment, else it would trip the kitchen when the av blows.....

5. jackal

jackal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I own three QED quoduit mains hubs for my system. I have had to replace my MDH6 once. They seem to have had a problem with this 6 socket version.

What do you have plugged in to the 2 power amp 1KW sockets? - Are you sure whatever they are that they are not drawing more than 1KW?

I suggest you send it back for a replacement.

Remember that the 6 socket version only has 2 1KW sockets, whilst the 4 and 2 socket versions have 1 X 2KW sockets.

Iy may be that your unit has developed a short circuit and that is why it is tripping your RCD.

6. Bratfud Recusant

Bratfud Recusant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +892
    Hi Clintos,

No, just the QED :(

Me neither, although I have had issues with the 'electrics' in this house before. As for the 'instructions' there are non :rolleyes:, but the packaging mentions nothing...

Thanks for the response though :smashin:

Anyway, please see below for updated info,

LAGAVULIN

7. Bratfud Recusant

Bratfud Recusant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +892
    Hi there,

I have a Pure AV too (in my dining room) and yes, I know what you mean about the 'self-test'...
    AFAIK, no such 'self-test' with the QED (at least visibly). Yes, the RCD is a "Crabtree RCCD Split-Load 63A-30mA".

I think your speculation might be on the right track; please see below for updated info,

Cheers mate :smashin:

LAGAVULIN

8. Bratfud Recusant

Bratfud Recusant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +892
    Hi deaf cat,

No, it is on it's own seperate rcd/ring circuit...

My suspicion too...

Thanks though,

LAGAVULIN

9. Bratfud Recusant

Bratfud Recusant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +892
    Hi Jackal,

Was it the same type of prob as I'm experiencing or something completely different? Have you heard of a few others having issues with the MDH6?

Ironically, I had nothing plugged into it all. Y'see have been moving my kit around after selling a few items and buying a few new ones and I've just finished building a custom made/designed wood racking unit for the new kit. So I was in the process of putting it all in place, the day the Qonduit arrived, so while waiting to get it all set-up on the rack and plumbed in, I just plugged the QED into the mains to 'burn-in'. I confess, I have been wondering ever since if this itself might have caused a prob :confused:

This is a strong probability at the mo...

Funny you should say this - y'see I tried using it on Sunday a.m. and it tripped the breaker again. Anyway, I decided to open the IEC end of the unit to see if anything had actually 'blown' or wiring was loose etc., (don't worry too much - I build and repair PC's & their related hardware) and upon closing the unit, I plugged it in and hey-presto it worked absolutely 101% fine :clap:

So, I left it on all day, only to awake at around 12.45 (early hours of this morning) to find that the breaker had tripped again :rolleyes:

So opening the same side of the unit again and reclosing it this morning, I find it works fine again :suicide:...Coupled with my first experience, this seems to suggest that it's building up some sort of 'short-circuit' over a 13-14 hour period (both incidents have talken precisely this long - rather beyond mere coincidence I'd say) and then finally 'shorts' and trips my RCD breaker.

When opening the side, it's as if I'm grounding the 'short' and the unit works again. I've just got one thing to test now, and if it still trips after 13-14hrs, back it goes :(

Anyway, thanks for the help guys, it's really appreciated :thumbsup: I'll post back if my theory is successful or not...til then thanks!

All the very best,

LAGAVULIN

10. CLIVEEDWARDS

CLIVEEDWARDS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    My brother had a 6 way which tripped the rcd and blew the internal fuse in the block. He called qed and they said there was a recall on the early 6 ways as they were faulty. They sent him £200 and a replacement for his trouble.

11. Bratfud Recusant

Bratfud Recusant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +892
    Hi Clive,

Thanks for that! I'm gonna ask a favour Clive; would you be kind enough to let me know how your brother "contacted" QED? Y'see, whenever I've got in touch with 'Armour Electronics' [who - AFAIK - distribute (or own) QED] they always tell me that if I want any sort of 'support', I MUST have an 'account' i.e. I need to be a retailer :mad:

But while here I'll add a slight update. After trying a couple of trade tricks that I've acquired from repairing PC's etc., the unit is still tripping my RCD Consumer Unit after 13-14 hours of use :( Yep, it's as if it's on a timer :suicide:

Moreover, it seems that 'grounding' it has no effect on the issue; in fact, it appears to be pointing more towards what I can only conclude is bad wiring joint(s) at the IEC/plug end of the hub :confused:

Nevertheless, why the hub would then work on my Kitchen circuit, but not my domestic ring circuit is becoming more baffling by the minute :confused::confused::confused:

Anyway Clive, if you wouldn't mind helping me out re: the above, my next step is to contact QED myself and see if I get any joy :rolleyes:

Thanks again mate, and best regards to all,

LAGAVULIN

12. IanW

IanW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    I have the following QED units like yours: 2x 2 block, 1x 4 block and 1x6 block. I have not had a problem with any of them.

I know that QED recalled these blocks at the begining of their life, might be worth contacting them about this and see if you have one that slipped through the net?

Ian.

13. Bratfud Recusant

Bratfud Recusant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +892
    Hi Ian,

Thanks - yes, funnily enough that's more-or-less what my wife's just said (having one that's 'slipped through'). Think I'm gonna try calling 'em - just hope I don't get the "...have you got an account..." question ;)

Cheers again :smashin:

LAGAVULIN

14. walshy77

walshy77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +221
    I also have a Qonduit mains hub (2 way tho) that keeps tripping my RCD. Could it be a faulty issue that wasn't recalled?
    I got it around 6 months ago from an online retailer who priced it wrongly! I got it for 80 quid!
    When it trips tho, I can always very easily flip the mains switch back on again.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Many Thanks

Walshy

15. Peridot

Peridot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +293
    One possible explanation for the intermittent tripping and the non-tripping of the kitchen circuit may be a partial leakage in the block.

Domestic RCD's will trip when leakage current exceeds 30 milliamps. If the block is causing an earth leakage of (say) 15 milliamps then itwill not trip on its own. Lets say that all the other appliances connected to the ring are causing a leakage of 20 milliamps, then that too will not trip the RCD. However when the block is plugged in total leakage is now 35 milliamps and the RCD will trip.

If some other appliance on the ring is on a time or thermostatic control your block may be causing a trip only when the appliance is energised at the same time.

16. Bratfud Recusant

Bratfud Recusant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +892
    Hi Walshy,

No, after plenty of calling around etc., I was informed that this problem is actually based around the hub and it's 'compatibility' with a certain few types of RCD installed in the UK. Apparently, this is a known 'issue' to QED but as it affects only around 1% of users who buy these hubs, they seem to be just resort to having the item sent back to the supplier and refunded :confused: Armour Electronics (the 'distributer' of QED) offered me NO help at all, and it was only a well informed independant e-tailer who was willing to educate me as to the source of the problem.

I ended up getting the item refunded and bought an Isotek Gemini which has caused zero probs, and is actually much better than the QED (although I acknowledge it did cost that bit more)...

HTH's mate,

LAGAVULIN

17. walshy77

walshy77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +221
    Hey Laga...

Thank you so very much for your reply matey, at least now I know. Maybe a Gemini is an iminent purchase?? :D
    Well it sure will be if my Qonduit keeps giving me gip! :rotfl:

By the way, I have the 46X Bravia....great set huh? Also, what do you make of the Onkyo? I have just last week installed my new 4308 and chuffed to bits with it, except i'm still awaiting my QED XT300 centre speaker cable, as the last lot I got the damn airlocs fell off! (newbie in the crimping room!) lol

Thanks again bud.

Walshy

18. Bratfud Recusant

Bratfud Recusant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +892
    Hi again,

Yeah, I can deffo recommend the Isotek's, and the beauty of the Gemini is that it is fully upgradeable to the Orion (the next version up) so it proves a very worthwhile worthwhile investment. Got mine from an indie dealer online (drop me a PM if you want a link) and he evens throws in a free Isotek Premium mains lead wirth £60, so a very nice deal all in :)

To be fair to the Qonduit, I so wanted it to work as I'm a big 'QED' fan; I mean, it was a good hub, well made, substantial etc., but the customer support provided by Armour (and not only for this issue - they did it to me regarding my old Q-Acoustic speakers too) is nothing short of disgraceful. Basically, will only talk to you if you have an account (i.e. a dealer). I do not exaggerate when I say that they couldn't care less about end-users :mad:

Yeah, I love the Bravia X display I have; just wish I'd have opted for the 46" and not the 40" but you live and you learn :rolleyes: Just a shame it doesn't do 24fps, but that isn't such a major concern; it'd just be the icing on the cake!!

Well, IMHO, the 805 is the best receiver I've ever laid hands on! Don't get me wrong, I'm also a big Denon fan and would've loved a 4308 (even possibly a 3808) but well out of my price league. The 805 is basically a slightly trimmed version of the multi-award winning 875, but I can honestly say that it's price belies it's ability (IMHO of course).

I use Silver Ann. XT myself (absolutely superb for the price) but I did have XT400 (Airloc'ed too) for an older system a while back. Was thinking of upgrading to it again, but am deterred by the cables size as I have a few runs directly under traffic'ed carpet and it would raise too big a 'lump' IYSWIM...probably break my neck over it (wife wouldn't mind that though - might save a few quid :rotfl: )...

You're welcome matey :smashin: Glad you're enjoying the new kit; but do let me know if you decide to go for an Isotek, can drop you some info etc., and needless to say, I'm thoroughly satisfied with mine (no tripping RCD for starters) :D

All the very best mate,

LAGAVULIN

19. walshy77

walshy77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +221
    Hey Laga...
    Thanks very much for taking the time to respond with that last one! wow!
    I will drop you a pm later bud, I would very much like the link for the Isotek! :smashin:
    I know what you mean about QED, I also rate them very highly especially with the speaker cable. I have Anniversary XT all round except my centre speaker where I have just installed XT-300. I am very impressed. The Qonduit is a very well made bit of kit...I just so wish it wouldnt trip so frequently (saying that, it hasnt done it for a few weeks now!...) which is liveable...
    what did you mean by the Gemini upgrading to an Orion???
    Have you tried the Isotek plugs? (think they're called Neoplug & Isoplug??)

Bravia X....I am still very very happy with mine, def glad I got the 46. I considered the 52 but wasn't sure how the picture would look on SD material. Yeah the 1080p/24 would be nice....but that wasn't available when I bought my X, so it doesnt bother me really. 1080p looks fab regardless. There is always gonna be something newer and better 'just round the corner'!
    I'll probably keep the X as my main display for another 2 yrs then upgrade...depending how far advanced the sets are then. I have yet to see the benefits of hdmi 1.3 on a tv so can't comment...it would be nice to see our X's side by side with the new X3500;. I'm guessing the difference isn't that huge...tho I may be wrong!
    Oh, and regarding the 'lump' I def know what you mean! I would never put the XT300 under the carpet..it's a mean size cable for sure! Looks like a damn interconnect! :rotfl:

Cheers again mate..... :smashin:

Walshy

20. Bratfud Recusant

Bratfud Recusant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +892
    Not a prob mate :smashin: Got your PM so will get back to you ASAP...

All the very best,

LAGAVULIN

21. saguk1234

saguk1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    I am just about to get the Qonduit 6 way. I have a power-amp, sub and tv. Just wondering if the Qonduit will be ok?