Qed Hdmi Or Nordost Silver Screen Component

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by crank, Sep 19, 2005.

1. crank

crank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :hiya: At the moment i am conecting my 42pv500 to my denon 2910 via a qed hdmi cable.The thing is a lot of people seem to have the veiw that component still may be the best option(which i have'nt tried yet!).So after a lot of debating with my indecisive self im thinking of taking the plunge :rolleyes: .Im thinking of purchasing the nordost silver screen component cable. :confused: So basically im asking anyone out there for their veiws on whether there would be any improvement in picture quality, making this a worthwhile buy!"SO COME ON PEOPLE GIVE ME YOUR VEIWS PLEASE!" :smashin:

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,126
    crank

Its got to be a suck it and see situation - though keep in mind too your going to have to ensure you set up both Inputs on your TV (YUV on Analogue and YUV or RGB via HDMI) fro PAL and NTSC; a couple of test discs is a minimum requirement and a SpyderTV calibration tool would be better if your unsure about using the Test discs.

Best regards

Joe

PS I'd also suggest a YUV cable you can get on Sale or Return is a good option.

3. Scott_Mac

Scott_Mac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +584
    Surely worth trying the Mark Grant cables too - a lot of people seem very impressed with them and they aren't bank breaking material.

4. crank

crank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "WOWWW!".Thanks for the reply Joe but i am quite new to this,whatever happened to plug and play.All of the above has just gone straight over my head im sorry to say :oops: I hate the thought of you thinking you're banging your head against a brick wall but is there any chance of you simplifying your much wanted advice! :thumbsup: it would be greatly appreciated. :lease: YUV,SPIDER CALIBRATION TOOL and test discs are all new to me unfortunatly :confused:

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,126
    Hello crank

Your assuming I know what I'm talking about - I have a version of MS Word Spell Check that replaces every third word with a Three letter acronym; makes most sentences look vaguely scientific :)

HDMI is an all Digital connectivity standard - the video signal that passes over an HDMI cable is pretty much the same signal you pass via the three RCA connectors (labelled Component Out) from your DVD player.

The difference between the Analogue 'Component' and the Digital 'Component' (HDMI) is the reduction in extra processing to convert the Digital signal being read from your DVD Disc to an Analogue signal to be passed over the Analogue cable and the re-conversion of that signal back to Digital for your Display to understand it; none of this conversion goes on with the HDMI connection.

Once you install the Two cables and connect up to your screen you should first off insert a Test DVD in your Player and make adjustments to colour, contrast, etc on both the Analogue and Digital Inputs of the PlasmaTV - your PlasmaTV has independent memories for each Input so you need to try and level out any inherent differences before you start to make comparisons.

On top of that you should really adjust for both PAL and NTSC Input signals (if you plan to Play R1 and R2 discs) on both the Analogue and Digital Inputs - again these are differences you need to iron out before you start making comparisons; doing all of the above will also ensure your seeing your signal closer to reference levels no matter if you doing an A-B test between Analogue and Digital connections.

Test Discs like AVIA (NTSC) and DVE (NTSC & PAL) are available to allow you to use your DVD player to 'calibrate' your Display - they are relatively inexpensive; though not the most intuitive bits of kit ever designed.

SpyderTV takes the set up process a stage further in that it try's to simply the process and doesn't rely on your eye to make judgements on what looks right or wrong - it has an optical head that 'reads' your screen (you can use it on any CRT, Plasma or LCD; and folk are beginning to explore how you can use it for LCD and DLP projectors.
    See http://www.colorvision.com/profis/profis_view.jsp?id=402

If you call in the Professionals they use a very high quality set of tools and a lot of experience to set up and adjust your kit using methodologies and standards set out by the Imaging Science Foundation (ISF - see http://www.imagingscience.com/)

So whilst you can 'Plug & Play' you may get a far from accurate set of results depending on how your TV's settings are set - unless you can verify everything is set as it should be before you starts your comparisons it may be an unfair test.

Best regards

Joe

6. crank

crank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :smashin: Thanks for that Joe hope it did't give you one of those repetative headaches from the"smashing it against a brick wall syndrome" :D