QED Component Cable Query

moocifer

Established Member
Reaction score
What's the difference between the various QED ranges :confused:

Why should/would I choose a Qunex over a Qontour ?? Also, the Qontour range mentions something about limited space - surely the connectors are all the same size ..

:lease:

Hello moocifer

Why indeed!!! There are lots of alternatives - many of which cost less money and perform just as well; or better.

RCA plugs - you do get oversized plugs on some cables so you have to watch out if your kit has a lot of densely packed sockets on it.

Space saving - I think they mean the actual cable is skinnier so its easier to conceal or bundle into a cable try/conduit - though be aware as you reduce the cable diameter you usually also reduce the effective distance you can use that cable over before you introduce signal degradation.

QED Qunex vs. Qontour - the former is the 'Standard' Diameter cable range the latter the 'Reduced' Diameter cable range; after that other than marketing speak QED don't produce any meaningful technical guide to how each cable within each range performs (mind you even if they did how many folk would know what to look for!).

I guess QED expect you to presume that as you spend less money on each subsequent step down from the top of the range cable you will introduce a bit of signal quality loss - mind you the marketers tend to 'sell' it the other way around and suggest that the most expensive cable can somehow 'improve' your image.

What sources are you using, what signals are you outputting and how long a cable run do you require?

Joe

I'll only be needing 1m cables and after some deliberation I figured that narrower cables probably meant lesser .. something .. :devil:

*Plus: AV Online had run out of stock on the Qontour which they had been selling at super bargain prices. *

As for its use, well that will either be DVD or SkyHD to LCD TV depending on how I hook up my Amp and whether or not Upscaling makes any real difference.

As Joe said, QED's range of Qontour cables are the "lower profile" versions of the Qunex range. The reason I think the place you mentioned was selling them at bargain prices, is that QED are discontinuing the Qontour component video cable range, and so they were probably clearing their stock!

If you don't specifically need a "low profile cable" then the QED Qunex P-CV1 should be more than sufficient for the applications you require.

Hello moocifer

As Filbert says stick with the Standard Diameter cable - once you start to send HD over a cable your putting more onus on your cable to be well designed and constructed and not introduce any signal degradation.

Order the P-CV1 from Filbert - then you know you can nail him on here if you have any problems :devil:

Joe

No problem at all, Having sold over 200 since the start of the year, I don't envisage any nailings!

Thanks for the replies and apologies Filbert as if I hadn't already placed an order I would used your website instead :oops:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom