QED AV4110 - PQ same as cheapy?!

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Biccy, Aug 31, 2004.

1. Biccy

Biccy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whilst still undecided on which TV to get I thought i'd get scart cable bought & ready, looked at reviews & went for the QED AV4110 RGB only scart (£50). So far have used it to connect my Toshiba DVD player, & for Sky+, to my TV. Its a 28" Daewoo, nothing expensive but I know 1 of the inputs is RGB. The thing is there is no picture improvement & ive studied it hard to try & justify keeping the cable! Tried it on my Dad's £700 32" Philips as well but again no improvement to his cheapy scart. Have checked DVD & Sky+ is set to output RGB which they are...surely i should see PQ improvement? Any suggestions, or other scart cables? HELP :lease:

2. gossp

gossp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I use this same cable (although RGB only version) and also the 5m versions, and the improvements I get are pretty obvious.
    Are you sure you are outputing RGB from the Sky+ box and DVD player (need to go to setup and change output setting) and is it definitley going into the RGB input on your TV.
    I daisy chained the SKY+ box through my DVD player and then from the DVD player straight into the TV (as my dvd did RGB passthrough) so only having one scart going into the TV as my TV also only had one RGB in.
    I guess you could also try daisy chaining through the SKY+ box rather than the DVD player if the DVD player doesnt have two scart sockets.
    But to be honest I saw a big improvement immediatly as soon as I switched cables. I hope this helps.

3. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Don't forget that cables improve with time (IMO). I've tried swapping around well-burnt "budget" cables for new "reference" quality cables and have often been disappointed.

300 hours will sort the wheat from the chaff - differences in image sharpness and grain should become pretty obvious.

The same applies for all electronic components, from cables to cd players.

DT

4. Biccy

Biccy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Definately got RGB set from Sky+ & then straight into TV. & you can tell its transmitting RGB cos when you switch settings from RGB back to PAL the PQ is obvious. The thing is its the same with cheapy scart. Am totally confused, thought it was my TV but then as I said its same on my Dads decent Philips set :confused:

5. WYNIR0

WYNIR0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    The more I hear about 'this' cable being better than 'that' cable in both Hi-fi and AV, the more convinced I am that above say £20, it's all scotch mist. Every time I've auditioned a really expensive cable against something in the £20-£30 bracket, I can't tell a difference. I suppose it means that I have unrefined eyes and ears, but at least it works out cheaper. :laugh:

Just IMHO and from my experience, I don't want to offend anyone who spent big money on their cables. :rolleyes:

6. Biccy

Biccy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is what im leading to think, but then im no expert at all. The only other thing i can think is that the diff may only be noticeable on high end TV's. Could I be right in thinking that maybe a £20 to £30 scart would actually give a better PQ on lower end TV's than the £50 top range scarts? or is it really a case of getting what you pay for? Any advice appreciated as im tempted to take it back & get a cheaper one.

7. WYNIR0

WYNIR0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Well I'm far from an expert, but the best advice I learnt is that you should trust your eyes and ears and not worry about what others are saying is good and bad. Take that as a guideline sure, but ask yourself, 'Do I like the picture from this cheap lead', if yes then keep it, if not try one's that are a bit more expensive until you find one that works for you.

I think a lot of people fall into the trap of forgetting what their Hi-fi or AV system is for, instead of listening to a piece of music or watching a movie, they watch or listen to their system, looking for glitches etc, when you get to that stage, you'll never be satisfied and never enjoy what you're supposed to be listening to / watching.

My 2p.