QE75QN800A Upscaling

flotmangooner

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello
My new TV looks stunning when watching a 4K program through Netflix or Prime and when watching a 4k blu ray.
However, when watching a program or film through other means such as Sky (through a Q mini box), BBC iplayer, ITV hub, Samsung TV Plus, the quality is nowhere near as good and doesn't appear to be upscaling in any way. I don't expect it to be as good as when watching a 4k blu ray but the quality of picture doesn't appear to be any better than the other TVs in my house which are not 8k.
I've gone through the settings and can't see anything relating to upscaling and just wondered why as Samsung say that programs not filmed in 4k will be upscaled by the TV.
I have decent 8k HDMI cables from the blu ray player, the mini box and my Q800 soundbar all plugged into the one connect box. I assume they don't have to be plugged into any specific HDMI port?
Grateful for any advice
Thank you

Sky miniboxes only do hd, so a 8k hdmi cable from it to the tv are overkill, and the pq depends upon what you are actually watching and complaining about. Any particular channel or show?

Sky miniboxes only do hd, so a 8k hdmi cable from it to the tv are overkill, and the pq depends upon what you are actually watching and complaining about. Any particular channel or show?
Who said I was complaining? All I did was ask a question about why the pq was not being upscaled.
I looked at various different channels and shows - as mentioned in my post, I was looking at channels on Samsung TV plus, iplayer and ITV Hub.

If you screen is ‘full’ of image when you are watching 1080p, 1080i etc then your TV is ‘up-scaling’ the incoming image.

Upscaling is never equivalent to playing back a higher resolution signal - ideally your source is mastered/encoded at the same resolution as your Display.

If you have an 8K resolution Display and are sending it the signal from a Settop box, which has its own transmission bandwidth limitations, and outputting 1080p that is an awful lot of pixels the TV processor is having to create.

The greater the difference between the resolution of the Source signal and the resolution of the Display the higher the potential for the lower resolution signal looking poor.

Joe

Last edited:
If you screen is ‘full’ of image when you are watching 1080p, 1080i etc then your TV is ‘up-scaling’ the incoming image.

Upscaling is never equivalent to playing back a higher resolution signal - ideally your source is mastered at the same resolution as your Display.

If you have an 8K resolution Display and are sending it the signal from a Settop box, which has its own transmission bandwidth limitations, and outputting 1080p that is an awful lot of pixels the TV processor is having to make.

The greater the difference between the resolution of the Source signal and the resolution of the Display the higher the potential for the lower resolution signal looking poor.

Joe
Thank you Joe for your reply

So Samsungs claim that "As good as the Samsung Quantum Processor 4K is, it will only upscale to a certain point. It will make SD (Standard Definition) content look almost 4k" isn't exactly true then because the SD channels on Samsung TV plus are certainly not being upscaled to anywhere near 4k

The larger the Display and the closer you sit the limitations of any form of video processing will become more apparent - remember too we are dealing with moving images so it is not just ‘upscaling’.

You usually have the option to try and tweak a few settings in the TV settings on a signal format basis (2160p, 1080p, 1080i etc) which is stored and recalled by the TV automatically when it senses the incoming format.

It is worth having a play with your settings when you are viewing 1080i or 1080p.

Where you want to optimise lower resolution signals to a large format display you have to be thinking of high quality external processing from the likes of Lumagen, which can cost as much as the Display device, plus someone to configure and calibrate your video system.

Joe

Who said I was complaining? All I did was ask a question about why the pq was not being upscaled.
I looked at various different channels and shows - as mentioned in my post, I was looking at channels on Samsung TV plus, iplayer and ITV Hub.
I did, but thanks for actually providing us with some information as to which content you are having 'issues' with. Even with sd content upscaling will not make them anywhere near the pq of 4k.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom