Qacoustics 3050i v Wharfedale Linton Heritage

EdwardMarlowe

Standard Member
Reaction score
My current system is:

- Panasonic SX890 Stereo Receiver (1978)

- 1970s Sony TT (this will eventually be replaced by a current model Rega Planar 6)

- I've not yet purhased a CD player for it, but I'm going with the Marantz UK Edition CD6006.

- My likely next purchase will be a DAC which I'll use to run my mp3 player or laptop into the Panasonic. Asdie from this, it's gonig to be a very traditional setup.

My current speakers are QAcoustics 3010s that I got on sale. They're nice enough at the listening volumes I can do in my flat, though the longer term plan is to move to a house within the next five years, where I can use bigger speakers. The 3010s will then be shifted to the home office to be used with a computer. I was looking at the 3050is from Qacoustics, but the Wharfdale Linton Heritage has also caught my eye. Any with experience of thoese untis be able to suggest whether one might suit my system better than the other?

I should also note that there are a few features of the Wharfedale's I wouldn't use - not interested in wirelss or blutooth of any kind, I only need very traditional, passive speakers. Once the stands are included, there's a good five or six hundred quid of a difference. It's worth bearing in mind, as while I'm seeing this as a system I won't be in a hurry to replace this side of the grave (realistically speaking, I'm 45 now, so bearing in mind family medical history, I have somewhere between 30 and 35 years left), I'm open to saving money (which will then be blown on the Rega, obvs). Once I'm happy with the system, I don't plan to keep on tinkering with upgrades unless something wears out before I do (or I stumble across a mint Marantz 2270 going for a song, of course!).

Interested in views from anyone who has experience of both types of speaker.

It's not so much as the speakers suiting your system as to the speakers suiting your room. Speakers, closely followed by the room that they are in are the perhaps the biggest influences in how your music will sound. Go for the best speakers you can afford, providing you like how they sound, they will last for years.

It's not so much as the speakers suiting your system as to the speakers suiting your room. Speakers, closely followed by the room that they are in are the perhaps the biggest influences in how your music will sound. Go for the best speakers you can afford, providing you like how they sound, they will last for years.

In which case, I should probably hold off on a decision until I move house.... (Had intended to by now, but the Covid & Brexit effect on the market has been problematic, so it's all on hold for a year or two).

Might even keep an eye out for a pair ofvthe orignial Lintons; the new ones on stands look great, but the more I read on thespec the more it sounds like there's a whoel heap of features I just don't want or need, which could account for a fair chunk of the price difference, moreso than anmy jump up ni SQ.

Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom