Question QAcoustics 3050 vs AM Bronze 5/6 vs KEF Q150

balance19

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello! I want to buy a stereo amp and speakers combo for my living room. I'm based in the UK and the room size is 4.30m x 4.10m. I will be listening to music (lossless digital source) and watch films. My budget is around £500. Space is not an issue. I'm choosing the speakers first. I have shortlisted these four which I will try to test soon:
  • QAcoustics 3050 - £319 new
  • Audio Monitor Bronze 5 - £299 new // £264 open box
  • Audio Monitor Bronze 6 - £269 open box
  • KEF Q150 £320 open box // £349 new
I've read that at the same price bookshelf speakers tend to outperform floorstanding, but is this still true when it comes to these specific models? What would you choose?

I've also looked at other options, but from the reviews I've read, I think the above two would be better, but I'm listing them here in case someone thinks any of these would be significantly better? Other Bookshelf speakers: Mission QX-2 (£275 new // £99 refurbished), B&W 607 (£320 new // £294 open box). Other Floorstanders: Mission LX-4 (£379), Fyne f302 (£479 new // £429 open box), Mission LX-5 (£499), Dali Spektor 6 (£499).

Last edited:
Hi. I’ve heard most of these speakers so can give you my opinion but it’s only my opinion; you’ll just have to try and hear the options for yourself.
Many people rate the 3050 and the 3050i is supposed to be better. I find QAcoustic floorstanders to be a bit woolly and bloated; you may love them. I found the Monitor Audio Bronze 5s to be vastly superior. They are very good speakers indeed and can be found at good prices as a new range is being released. They do need a bit of room around them though. I rate KEF speakers very highly but I would be looking at the R range on the used market rather than the Q series. R100s are terrific little speakers and will fill your room with ease.
The Mission QX2 are a very good standmount and there isn’t a bad review out there for them but I found the KEFs to be superior. I haven’t heard the B & Ws or the Fynes so couldn’t comment but all these models are well-reviewed.
Regarding floorstanders vs standmounts. I prefer standmounts. On stands, they take up the same space but I find them tighter and more coherent. Half a floorstander is just empty cabinet. More bass, possibly, but not necessarily better bass.
However, you may find that your experience is completely different so listen wherever possible. Speakers are a very personal choice. Go for the one that excites you, makes you smile, tap your foot and just want to play more and more music.
Out of curiosity, which amp/s are you considering?

I’d not buy the QAs, I’ve found the floorstanders to be simply flabby.

Good enough for the price, but the MAs are a better bet imo.

There is something in the arguments for standmounts over floorstanders at the same price, and I’d have to agree with the above, if you can fin a pair of R100s for your budget, that would be where my cash would go.

Last edited:
Thank you both for you replies! Unfortunately I had to postpone my demo, so I will go this Saturday instead.

I won't be able to test the Bronze 5, just the Bronze 6 (currently available for the same price). Do you think these are as good? I'd be okay with leaving the room they around them.

Re the KEF R100 I don't seem to be able to find any online. Would you say these sound better than the Bronze 5/6? Is there anything else in the £350 region that would sound better than the Bronze?

Amp wise, I was thinking a Yamaha R-N602 M, or, alternatively a Marantz 6006, a Denon PMA 800 or Onkyo 9010, what do you think?

Thanks again!

Re the KEF R100 I don't seem to be able to find any online. Would you say these sound better than the Bronze 5/6? Is there anything else in the £350 region that would sound better than the Bronze?
Yes. One of the best small speakers on the market at one point. It's been a real shame that KEF have not gone with a similar sized model in the new R Serie. There were a few pair on flea bay last week but now seem to have been sold and they don't tend to hang around long when offered.

KEF speakers do pair well with both Marantz and Denon amps.

The previous generation Bronze are a great budget all-rounder. Mid-bass is warm sounding but tweeters can be too bright and ear piercing in the 'wrong' room or certain kit. They wont work well if the rest of the system is bright sounding.

I had the bronze 2 and got bored of them..

Another option are the Q acoustics concept 20. £229 new. They are superior to the 3000/3000i range. Better built and better sound quality, though you may need a subwoofer in larger rooms and depending on your music.

Thanks all! I struggled to find the KEF R100...in the end I found Bronzes 5 and Yamaha 602 for £436 so I went for those! I couldn't be happier :)

Thanks all! I struggled to find the KEF R100...in the end I found Bronzes 5 and Yamaha 602 for £436 so I went for those! I couldn't be happier :)
That’s a very good price if they’re both new, and two very good pieces of kit. Enjoy!

Thanks, the speakers were ex-demo but with 6 years warranty and the amp manufacturer refurbished :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom