Q9fna and freesat help!!!

magmax

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello, can anyone help me?

I am about to move so I have packed up my avr receiver, surround sound system etc and thought I would use the built in freesat until I get to my new house.

I plugged in the f connector from the satellite dish into the one connect box and I worked fine. Then my son asked to play his game system so I plugged it into the hdmi port. Once he finished I switched the source back to TV and I got a no signal message.

I reran the set up and it never found a satellite signal. I ran the scan loads of times and it never found any thing. I factory rest the TV still no luck. I turned it off left it for an hour still no joy.

I thought it could be a lose f connector so It recut the cable and reconnected it but it still didnt find a signal.

Then I went General start set up menu and ran Start set up I noticed that on the TV Setup made easy screen the ANT IN said not connected. As started to remove the f connector from the one connect box and the icon turned green and said connect, but as soon as the f connector makes contact with the port at the back it goes back to not connected. Ican make the icon remain green and say connected by pushing the copper wire into the port and not let the metal f connector touch the port but it still doesn't find a signal...

What am I doing wrong 😢😢

Did you swap connection? There are 2 sat. connections, you should use the one on the right looking from the back.

Hello, yes I have connected it in to the port for sat main. The odd thing is the when the f connector touches the thread of the port at the back of the one connect box it tells me that the Ant IN is not connected. I tried the cable without the f connector attached and inserted the thin copper cable into the port. Easy set up manager tells me it is connected and remains green but when it goes through the scan stage it can not find a satellite signal???

The satellite connection was originally hooked up to a Sky HD box with two cables coming out of it. Could I be using the wrong cable or is there something I need to change in the Samsung setting.

OK so I think I may have an issue with the Dish. I tried to manually tune in the channels which resulted in not finding any. I moved the TV into another room which has a satellite connection in it. Still it found nothing. Then I hook up the old sky HD box again and on the Sky signal menu page it shows no signal and the 1 and 2 LNBs are not locked.

That is the info I needed. So you got 2 lnb's, one to astra2 and the other one somewhere else and therefore you must have a DISEQc switch. Try to assign the right lnb to the right satellite from the tv settings. Do you know how to do that? This is a problem that I get myself every time I reset the tv. Let me know.

Ah OK you may have to hold my hand though this? When I go to the satellite settings I see I have one satellite which is astra 28.e. I see the Lnb setting and the TV tells me the DISEQc is off. When I click on it I have a choice of 1/4, 2/4, 3/4, 4/4, A & B. If so I have gone through selecting each of one of the above and running a scan and yet it still finds nothing. Also the TV reports 0% signal strength.?

So, you tried all the diseqc options. Best thing I must suggest is to borrow a sat box from a friend and test with your existing cable to sort it out if it is now faulty. As you say it did happen after plugging/unplugging an hdmi cable and if it is the case then it might somehow given a short circuit inside the connect box. In the past I actually had an hdmi that went faulty on a Ks9000 connect box and therefore there is a possibility that your sat connection is gone faulty even so they are not related to each other. Also my understanding if this can help is that you got 2 dishes with 2 lnb's, correct? So you must have a diseqc switch up there in the roof. Could it be that the switch, on that particular connection, is gone faulty? Usually one of the connections, the others will still be ok, as an example if you got a 4 way switch the other 3 are still functioning. They can for no reason as I already experienced the problem in the past but with the difference that I got 8 of them rising the chances for a possible fault over a time. If it is the case you can try to change the position on the switch but would be best to run the cable direct from the sat dish hoping you got easy access. Please let us know the results of this matter. Thanks

So, you tried all the diseqc options. Best thing I must suggest is to borrow a sat box from a friend and test with your existing cable to sort it out if it is now faulty. As you say it did happen after plugging/unplugging an hdmi cable and if it is the case then it might somehow given a short circuit inside the connect box. In the past I actually had an hdmi that went faulty on a Ks9000 connect box and therefore there is a possibility that your sat connection is gone faulty even so they are not related to each other. Also my understanding if this can help is that you got 2 dishes with 2 lnb's, correct? So you must have a diseqc switch up there in the roof. Could it be that the switch, on that particular connection, is gone faulty? Usually one of the connections, the others will still be ok, as an example if you got a 4 way switch the other 3 are still functioning. They can for no reason as I already experienced the problem in the past but with the difference that I got 8 of them rising the chances for a possible fault over a time. If it is the case you can try to change the position on the switch but would be best to run the cable direct from the sat dish hoping you got easy access. Please let us know the results of this matter. Thanks
Hi mate, it sounds like he has just got a sky dish, probably using either a quad or octo lnb, there won’t be a diseqc switch in play

Hello again, so yesterday I went up and had a look at the dish on the wall. I have four wires coming out of the lnb. Two go down the wall and directly through the wall into the front room and the other two go arcoss the bay window and the garage roof down the wall and into the side of the house. So I guess I don't have a diseqc switch. I went on line and saw a new universal lnb for £15. So I have ordered one and I'll have a go at replacing that to see if that does the trick. While I was up there I had a look at the cables and connectors and they seemed to be OK. It just seems odd both the sky HD box and one connect box shows 0% signal but all was working before I set up the hdmi for the Nintendo switch. Even when I set the TV up in the other room with sky and one connect box there was 0% signal and no satellite found message on the screen.

If it doesn't work I may have to swallow my pride and call in a..... professional....

Ok thanks, I got it more clear, 1 lnb with 4 outputs. Did you try all 4 cables then? All connection are a separate circuit using the same lnb and therefore if one goes wrong the others should still work. You might be wasting money with the pro. At this stage the best would be to take your tv to a friend and try their cable or find someone with a sat box to try on your cables. There is a good chance that might be the tv at this stage. Let us know

OK so another update.

The new Lnb arrived this morning and as I had the day off from work I decided I would fit it. Good news it works!!!

I say works I first set it up on the old sky HD box and got a picture. Then I unplugged it and plugged it into the one connect box. The TV found a satellite and channels but couldn't find a freesat satellite for my area (west Midlands) with the post code and chose London for me. When I went to went to put bbc1 on it said no channel and to check connections and source. I unplugged it and put it back into the sky box and it worked?

So not to tempt fate I going to leave it plugged into that. I know if I muck it up again I'll only get greif from the Mrs for messing around with it when it was working!! Plus I'm only here for a couple more weeks before I move so I can live with it.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Question about recording programs on my 55" Samsung NU8000, using it's own Fresat tuner. When I record programs from BBC 1, I always set the record Channel to 106. Yet when it records it's always on Channel 973 BBC Scotland HD.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom