• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Q9FN and Dolby Atmos

TheCableGuy96

Hi,

I've got a Q9FN and Yamaha YSP-5600 soundbar but struggling to get Dolby Atmos to work through the ARC. Does anyone else have similar problems or even have it working with the same or another soundbar?

Thanks.

Hi,

I've got a Q9FN and Yamaha YSP-5600 soundbar but struggling to get Dolby Atmos to work through the ARC. Does anyone else have similar problems or even have it working with the same or another soundbar?

Thanks.

I don't think Samsung Q9FN supports Atmos same as it doesn't Dolby vision, maybe wrong tho.

There is a work around with some UHD players like Panasonic ones. You can get the sound from there second HDMI out to soundbar bypassing the TV for sound. Problem is Q9FNs internal apps will never do Atmos if I am right in it not being supported by the TV itself.

zeppelino

Distinguished Member
Netflix et al use lossy Atmos which is sent via Dolby Digital so most Samsung sets will do Atmos for internal apps.

What they won’t do is pass Atmos from sources connected via hdmi, I.e. blu ray players.

TheCableGuy96

i’ve currently got the Panasonic UB9000 blu-ray player and using HDMI out direct to the soundbar does work, but I can’t do that with SKY TV as the soundbar only supports one HDCP2.2 port which is being used by the blu-ray player.

I have ordered a really good HDMI splitter which ahould arrive next week and supports all protocols but I was hoping someone else had a way round it. Because plugging everything into the Soundbar and then to the TV is the opposite way Samsung designed it to work with the remote and interface. However, there are some lip-sync issues with sky that way so the soundbar will resolve that if everything is plugged into the splitter > soundbar (hdmi1) > TV.

But I cannot see how I can get Atmos through the Netlix app no matter which way it is setup?

Cheers

zeppelino

Distinguished Member
I’m not too sure about arc but believe it’s a two way port. So hdmi arc from tv to bar should mean you get sound from tv and when required get pictures to tv from external sources

TheCableGuy96

Yeah it doesn’t work and Samsung aren’t interested saying ‘they never claimed it supported Atmos’. An eARC updatr would resolve it which would need to be supported by both the TV and Soundbar. Yamaha said their soundbars are getting an update for eARC in the first quarter of this year but they don’t know which models it will be rolled out to yet. Samsung say they won’t be rolling out eARC to the TV and it wouldn’t work anyway because it would require a hardware upgrade.

Samsung by the way have extremely poor customer service, possibly the worst I have ever experienced by any company. I won’t be making the mistake of purchasing their products again.

zeppelino

Distinguished Member
Are you sure you’re sending Dolby Digital?

They’re not going to publically say about Atmos as that would set tongues wagging about the wrong thing. Samsung sets from 2017 supported DD via arc and ergo Atmos via Netflix.

TheCableGuy96

Okay, so I’ve tested it from the TV and the Blu-ray player. Running both Netflix apps and the Soundbar says it is Dolby Digital+ / Dolby Surround.

If I play a Blu-ray and select the second output on the Blu-Ray player (bypassing the arc and going straight to the soundbar) it says it’s Dolby Atmos.

TheCableGuy96

Well for anyone wondering I resolved this by buying one of these:

XOLORspace 23421 HDMI 2.0 4X2 HDMI Matrix switcher select any one of four HDR HD...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07H25VVFV/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_i_bBXBCbRKR977W

I send the video to the TV using port A and the second output goes to the Soundbar. I also still run the ARC cable so I can use the TV apps for normal sound without Atmos.

I also use an ‘X-Box One S’ because the apps on the TV and/or the ARC doesn’t support Atmos. Netflix, Plex and Amazon Prime all support HDR and Atmos with selected content. So with the above device and the Xbox I managed to work around it.

It’s a bit of a mess around with changing all the sources but everything (Including the HDMI Switcher) is supported by the Logitech Harmony remote. After a bit of configuration everything is working sweet!

TheCableGuy96

Update, the XOLORspace product had handshake issues and the sound kept cutting out (I even tried a replacement). In the end, I resolved it with the HDFury Maestro. I don't need an AV receiver that supports any passthrough now as the video goes directly to the TV, the sound goes directly to the Soundbar and the HDFury Maestro supports literally everything. A pricey but great product... you get what you pay for at the end of the day!

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom